What does the MTG community think of Hearthstone?

I haven't been on forums on any other website, so I've never really known- how do MTG players react to Hearthstone? Do you ever make cards based on it? Did you know Kylo Ren did something, but I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen it because I'm a super nice guy?

Comments

• It's pretty good game. Non-interactive by design since you can't talk to your opponents probably a measure to stop profanity and trash talk. I've seen MTG cards taken directly from Hearthstone now and then, they're easy to do since the converted mana cost and power and toughness are already direct lifts from Magic, and many abilities are exact correspondences like haste or deathtouch.
  • So Hearthstone (ya I tried it for like a week) is basically a kiddie version of MTG designed to get younger players interested IMO.

Pretty silly overall and not nearly as engaging. Does have loads of similarities though, so, there's that.
  • I can't say. May phone didn't have enough energy brain meat to download it.
  • @Biblio1 @Faiths_Guide @ChaseTheHuman Thanks for all your responses (even yours, Chase). If you're interested maybe we could steal some keywords from Hearthstone, to use in MTG?

btw I included a star wars spoiler but an admin edited it lol
  • I want to try it now...but i can't stand DLC time. maybe soon.
  • because the game is all online it allows the game to do things that physical cards would not be able to do. Everything is played only on your turn afaik, but still allows some engagement with the opponent.
  • Stale. The cardbase is tiny and it has no real "intricacies" that I love in MtG (The stack, for example). Only playing on your turn, you can "go face" and ignore the opposing creatures. Don't know. I tried three times to get into it because it's very available and doesn't require much from whatever you're playing in on, but I just can't get into it.

Most people complain about the "pay2win" thing because you can buy stuff to get good cards much much faster (and you can't buy singles), but we're used to that in MtG and it's mostly fine.

It's just boring.
  • I think that, as a statement, all blizzard games are good(hearthstone is a top e-sport BECAUSE blizzard made it). check out their new game: the FPS/MOBA hybrid, Overwatch

*please tell me if these are working links
  • @stormbreath omg I had no idea someone else liked Overwatch! I have a whole set on the heroes... if you'd like to check it out?
  • possibly, @dudedaniel.

who is your favorite hero in Overwatch?
  • @stormbreath

As a character? Genji. So badass

To play? Symmetra. Fits my FPS style.

You?
  • edited January 2016
    as a character(second place)?reaper: who doesn't want to be a shotgun-wielding badass?(face of a spawn-camping %#@(#)

to play and as top character? Mei: the wall and the instant-invincible are awesome, and she is always so #^$!#& happy! perfect for annoying people.

seriously, I just love driving people mental in games, which is why I like to play a rogue in WoW

* note: series of random symbols are representing swear words.
  • edited January 2016
    @dudedaniel-but then there's genji, and tracer, and D.va, and Mccree, and reinhardit, and winston, and lucio, and(every single other hero in overwatch)
  • @stormbreath Yeah they're all cool. Except Widowmaker. She's annoying and OP as F*ck
  • @dudedaniel-yeah, but I want to play Mei the most(I don't per say have the beta, but I follow the gameplay footage so I know what each hero does)
  • @stormbreath Same. I didn't preorder, cuz it's just skins
  • @dudedaniel-true, but I don't think that I'll be able to play it unless an OS version is released for Mac
  • edited January 2016
    I don't have any connection to the lore of Warcraft-- I've only played Warcraft II as my first RTS on Windows 95. That's it.

I hear there is a lot of RNG that goes on over there. On the one hand, it's kinda cool how you rethink order of play and manipulate things to give your RNG the best possible shot at doing what you want, but on the other hand it produces some really feels-bad moments even if it does have some high points.

Overall, I'm not a fan of the tribes, there are nowhere near enough mechanics and just sheer volumes upon volumes of cards like Magic has behind it. There aren't as many interesting kinds of different resources to fuel spells with. I don't like the class-based deck restriction (although you could argue it's like the color pie of Magic, I just think the color pie is a much more elegant system overall.

Hearthstone just feels incredibly, extremely limited and constraining.

Mirror Image is really pretty, though. Especially Golden.
  • we were no longer discussing Hearthstone, but Overwatch.
  • LoL, you mean you're way off topic? Since it's a thread about Hearthstone!
    XD
  • I believe that it has evolved from a thread simply about hearthstone to one about blizzard games in general.(Freeze! don't move!)
  • edited January 2016
    (hehehe, took you to long!)-@Corwinnn
  • so what does the Cardsmith community think of World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft?
  • @stormbreath Idk, I never played them lol
  • @dudedaniel-whoops, oh well, there's a new WoW expansion coming out that will reboot the classes so, try and join in!
  • Moving this thread to Blizzard forums...
    Just kidding, we're big blizzard fans too - especially Hearthstone! Sadly most of my legendary pack pulls are always Harrison Jones.
    :'(
  • edited January 2016
    @mtgcardsmith You'd be surprised how many times Harrison Jones has come out of no where to ruin my pirate deck shenanigans in ranked. Always never failing...
This discussion has been closed.