Who introduced you to Magic?

Withholding information is advised to protect whomever you mention

Basically, I wanna hear the story of how you were introduced to Magic in the first place. Make sure you're being safe about it.

My story had my friend, whom I shall call Bob in this story, was at his house when he invited me over. After we play Smash Bros Brawl for a while, we got bored, so he showed me Magic. For the next few months, whenever I came over, we play a match or two. He only had two decks, and I can remember one was a R/G deck that had the Streetbreaker Wurm, which was OP with the cards he had at the time (yeah, really).

Comments

• RoFLMao! For me, I had a friend Matt who owned a comic book store across the street from my apartment, and a few of the guys would sit on the floor after it closed and play magic... So one day I was all "What are you guys doing?" and thus began my Magic The Addiction journey
  • With me it was kind of weird, my parents bought me a starter pack for magic that was laying idle for at least 2 years. Didn't know the rules and didn't much care.
    Then, in my school people started playing - Lorwind and a month later Shards of Alara came out so yeah.... bought some packs and made a deck.

Nowadays we play proxy Cube with overpowered cards and I'm currently making cards for another cube sometime in the future.
  • My dad played magic with my mom when they were dating. I saw a deck at barnes and noble one day and I asked my dad what it was. He bought it for me and taught me how to play when we got home.
  • I act, and I make friends while acting. One day, during a Saturday Matinee, I forgot my Nintendo DS, where there was Pokemon. It turned out my friend had wanted to play magic that day, so he refreshed my brain on how to play. (I really was introduced to it when I was 6, with my uncle. I had a crazy overpowered monoblack deck.) I was fighting him with a R/G deck, and he had a W/R deck, with Iroas. We fought and he won over and over. I didn't have many mountains in that deck, because he had most of the mountains in his deck. This show was in november, and for Christmas I got a huge amount of cards! My uncle gave me a huge collection of his cards, including Ephara, God of the Polis. So now we still play and we have godly duels a lot.
  • edited February 2016
    I was introduced by my friend "Owen." At my school, it seemed like I was the only boy not playing magic. So, I asked what they were playing, and I learned how to play. In that time, I have taught several other people how to play. After about a month of borrowing my friend's deck to play with, I got a R/B deck for Christmas. The thing I remember about it most is that it had 2 Volcanic Dragons, which to me was unbelievable at the time (I was pretty young).
  • edited February 2016
    I was taught by my Dad about during the beginning of Mirrodin Besieged/End of Zendikar Block. He got me a Deck Builder's Toolkit (Are those even still a thing?), and I ended up pulling a Wormcoil Engine. Needless to say he immediately traded me for it. My first decks I ever made were a R/B deck and a G/B deck. My Dad beat me with both.

Eventually we started going to little tournaments at our local college. I played Mono Red Goblin and took 2nd at one. (Pretty sweet, have never placed since ;-;). My favorite set(s)/plane(s) are still and probably always will be Innistrad and New Phyrexia, just because I like Evil/Scary things.

EDIT: Okay, I might've accidentally lied about never placing since. I placed 8th in the top 8 out of 10 people the other day, but is that really placing??? (I immediately lost in the Top 8 draft.)
  • Drew a pentagram on the ground in my basement in blood, collected a bunch of ingredients for a truly evil spell, human remains, archaic stones and scriptures, plants, jewelry, and bam! Summoned something demonic and after it flipped out at me for a bit and calmed down, I asked it only one question.

"How can I serve you?"

He told me about this new card game...
  • My friend (from now on known as Bob) and I used to play Pokemon. Then Bob was all like screw it and quit because he had another friend who played Magic. I was interested and I bought a deck, but I didn't play for about a year. I now play. THE END!!!!!!!
  • In retrospect, I think it might have actually been the Lord of the Pit. Damn self promoting demons.
  • So as for when my Planeswalker Spark ignited, there was a period of time beforehand when I first learned to cast spells at my local LGS. It was a shop that catered to card games of all sorts, and my card game of choice was "stuttering anime duel." I hovered over some 'walkers that were playing and getting ready for a booster draft of 9th edition. I opted to play, and proceeded to make everyone's rookie mistake of opening multiple packs. Corrected, I proceeded to draft and apparently got a really good card (at the time) Loxodon Warhammer. I proceeded to play a few games with my deck and then the gentleman that opened the box gave me my first set of spells. From there, I would find a batch of old spells in the bin at a local resale store and build my collection from there. I would play off and on again, going back to "overzealous manga cards" before finally quitting and ascending to Planeswalker Status around Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.
  • I learned from my cousins when I was at a family reunion.
  • edited March 2016
    I played star wars ccg when I was a child (late 90's), knew about mtg then but never played it. Then my boyfriend reintroduced me to it when I moved to Tokyo and I fell in love with the game. The art, the variety, etc. Now my boyfriend and I play often, for a time we played nearly every day.
  • edited March 2016
    I have this cousin Robert (maybe that is his real name watcha going to do 'bout it?) who constantly goes in and out of phases (still does to this day, don't ask his age), thinks he'll do archery, then fencing, then knife throwing, warhammer, heroscape, card games, etc.

One day (I don't know what he does, browses the web perhaps) he decides he'll ask for MTG cards from his parents for Christmas. Gets one (or two or three) of those garbage bulk buys off eBay and we slowly teach ourselves to play. Needless to say we didn't really figure it out really well.

Theros just comes out and I go "Hey, we have fun with this right? I think I'll grab a booster box of Theros and see what the new stuff is all about."

Since then I've gone to a few pre-release events and played with him and both of our siblings. I find "boardgame forms of relaxation" awesome after work. Plus it keeps me in touch with family, always good.
  • My friend (Whom I'll call Gibraltar in this story, because for some reason he likes that username) plays MtG during our lunch period at my school. I got interested last year, and watched him and his friends play. I bought a bunch of those ridiculous set booster packs and a few of the larger ones and put together one of the worst Standard decks ever seen. And so it began, me floundering about with high mana cost dragons (Forgestoker, Shivan) while he playtested mana-less dredge, infect, etc.

And I was fine with it. I knew I was a guinea pig, but it was cool to see how the cards worked together. And now this year, I've built a decent Minotaur deck on TappedOut, an insane Sliver deck on the same site, and I've begun making custom cards. And I'm able to hold my own against him. I came close to beating Gibraltar's Splinter Twin deck when Splinter Twin was still Modern legal (and with the Minotaur deck, no less!), and I've beaten his Delver of Secrets deck, and now he's using an obnoxious Sensei's Divining Top deck that can Miracle a Terminus on your own turn.

It's masochistic, it's ridiculous, it's Magic: the Gathering with Modern decks. And I am so very glad that I'm playing.
  • Everyone from my BSA troop played, so I bought a deck.
  • i'm home schooled, so naturally my nutty mom wanted to socialize with other home schoolers. every monday, we used to go to a thing called "park hoppers", which basically just meant we switched which park we went to every week. anyway, one day i saw some friends of mine playing magic, and i was like "cool!" so i got a deck at best buy one day, which was like a black (maybe black blue) deck from scars of mirrodin. i got it mostly for the sick art of Carnifex demon (which is actually a terrible card :P), but that was all i needed to get into the game. the next set i got was the core set (M11), and then i got a mirrodin besieged fat pack for easter (what an easter!). i got a huge box and two binders full of cards from a friend of my dad at work at one point, and i have gone in and out of playing magic for the past few years i have been playing, but now i'm firmly back in. (mostly cause i bought an Ulamog for $30. :P)
  • edited March 2016
    my frenemy "Galapagos Joe" taught me at camp. i asked my parents for cards, they sent me an origins toolkit and a 100 pack of rares/uncommons they picked up on amazon. now, joe just wanted to humiliate me, so when i pulled 27 "Jace, Vryn's Prodigy"s and built a wicked mill deck, he was surprised.

EDIT: i may have made a small typing mistake in the first part. actually i built a crappy izzet deck, lost many times, and stewed in my own misery. i have spent all year honing my skills to face old galapagos joe next summer....
  • My friend who has sold his soul to Boros. We learned Magic together (he showed me the card game because his dad found all of his old cards in the attic) and he tried to make me like green/white (he has also sold his soul to Selesnya), but I played mono black for really long time. Coincidally, my mom was taught how to play magic around the same time and she was given a souped-up Izzet Ingenuity deck. Even if it took me a while to convert to Izzet, I soon learned that Blue/Red was a lot more powerful than I thought!
  • he has two souls????
  • VOLDEMORT!
  • MOLDEVORT?!?! WHERE??
  • I found Voldy...
  • I was originally introduced back in high school. A friend of mine was telling me about it so I picked up a starter deck. I did terrible because that was unlimited and you just got random cards, nothing pre-made. But it got me hooked. I played through Fallen Empires, Ice Age and several sets later but then stopped. Got a house, had two kids and I just didn't have money or time. When the second Miroden block was just ending my Son, the one I stopped playing magic because of lol, wanted to learn to play so I picked up a couple starter deck (and was presently surprised they were playable decks out of the box!) and we started to play. I picked up some packs in Inistrad but we moved cross country so that put a hit on cash flow but we had a good time playing. I never even heard of drafting until Return to Ravnica and that was a lot of fun. We go to Friday Night Magic when we can and pre-releases when possible. Now my 12 year old daughter plays as well as my 17 year old son lol.
  • I was looking for a new card game after being bored with YuGiOh - that's why I began to play Magic. :D
    I also learned a lot about MTG thanks to Tolarian Community College. :3
  • @oduda that's so cool, I'd love to share magic with my children someday.
  • At a game day once, my friend showed me Magic. Then it sat in my head for a while until I got a Theros fat pack for Christmas about 2 years later.
  • My brother introduced me to magic after he had came back from an overnight boy scout camp for a week and we were on a camp out. He brought back 70 cards, from lorwyn and morningtide, in total so we played against each other with 35 cards each sadly he always beat me. After the camp out when my brother introduced me the magic he gave me Mesa Pegasus because it was his worst card. My brother and I began collecting and playing with our friends. I started with green mana ramp and big creatures then to blue mill then to burn then to green/black/white fungus tribal, way too slow, then I finally am now a green/black infect dude.
  • I asked "joe" to show me one day and he did. :|
  • Definitely my brother. He got me my first deck, a UB, as a ten dollar structure pack. (This is during the dark, sad, times of M10.) Later on, about two and a half years later, my uncles were in town and took us out to an FNM and had me use a heavy goblin burn/aggro. They had me keep it, and when in junior high, I discovered others who played, I would start joining in, and the goblin deck would smash everything in its path. Now, almost three years later, we still play almost daily, and we can all beat the goblin deck, no sweat.
This discussion has been closed.