Living Equipment

There have been several mechanics introduced to equip creatures or something creature-like onto other creatures. The two most prominent effects like this have been Bestow and Living Weapon from the Theros and Mirrodin blocks respectively, but what would happen if we combined these effects?

Essentially, make a creature that is also an equipment.

Examples:
http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/blood-eyed-blade-dragon-3?list=user

Rules:
Must be an artifact creature
Must have the subtype Equipment
Must somehow lose the creature typing
Overpoweredness will be frowned upon
Up to 3 entries per person
Contest will end on the 24th

Rewards:
All placers of the Top 3 will get the cards favorited and will be followed.
First place will also get 5 other favorites of my choice
Second place gets 4 other favorites of my choice
Third gets 3 other favorites of my choice

Edit: It has come to my attention that equipment creatures actually can't equip onto other creatures. As such, a new rule has been implemented. The card must now have an effect that somehow causes it to lose the creature typing, or have an alternate cost that makes it come into play as a regular artifact.

Comments

• So, I'm confused. Do we have to make an equipment creature? Or do I make an equipment with Living Weapon?
  • You make an equipment creature.
  • Fus Ro Dah!

Just kidding, no Skyrim references.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/living-soldier
  • @Gelectrode

Maybe, but it doesn't go with what we're doing here. The goal is to make an equipment creature.

I must apologize, for I am likely causing a lot of confusion from what I put in the introduction post.
  • Ah, now I get it.

• edited February 2016
    @Gelectrode

Yes, that works just fine.
  • http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/revenant-shroud
    Since "Skulk" recently became a thing with the spoilers from "Shadows Over Innistrad," I figured I'd implement it. Hope y'all like it!
  • @Rugaqwarrcall Please forgive me, but I must share this with you:

301.5c An Equipment that’s also a creature can’t equip a creature. An Equipment that loses the subtype “Equipment” can’t equip a creature. An Equipment can’t equip itself. An Equipment that equips an illegal or nonexistent permanent becomes unattached from that permanent but remains on the battlefield. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.) An Equipment can’t equip more than one creature. If a spell or ability would cause an Equipment to equip more than one creature, the Equipment’s controller chooses which creature it equips.

That said, it is not my intention to rain on anyone's parade. Just follow the template for Bestow. Create an ability that causes the card to lose its creature status so it can be an equipment. This doesn't have to be a STOP-ALL. Get creative!
  • Oh I get it, it's like bestow for artifacts. That makes sense now!
  • All you have to do to make an equipment creature is to make an artifact creature with "Equip: (Mana cost)". It acts just like bestow, but for artifact creatures. FYI: Whenever you bestow something, it almost always, inherits all traits of the bestow creature, for example if the creature with bestow was a 1/1 with flying, the bestowed-upon creature would usually have +1/+1 and gain flying.
  • edited February 2016
    @Syrix Bestow is supposed to only be from your hand, right? If you want to make sure, Rule section 702.102 on Bestow.
  • Let me preface this by saying this isn't my contest, I'm only just helping out here.

@EmpathNaga Sorta like that. I couldn't think of an example where a permanent loses its typing (the only things I came up with were the Theros gods and Neurok Transmitted) and without a templating example I'd only change the wording of the last ability to "...Attach to target creature."

@bluprintmtg Perhaps the card could already have the abilities printed on it and just return to the battlefield as an equipment artifact and lose its creature type. It could "become an equipment artifact."

@unbeatablegamer I'm only here in a support capacity. With the current rules it wouldn't be as simple as making an equipment creature because the game would not allow you to equip it to another creature because of the rule above. The creature would have to become another thing entirely (I.e. bestow-like, or living weapon-like, or even just something that can lose its creature typing to work.)
  • @Syrix Thanks! I'm no rules judge, I just know it is difficult to word that one. If something dies and returns to the battlefield, I think it might revert to the original form.
  • @Syrix

Hmmm... I actually forgot about that ruling since it is never relevant... But that isn't going to dull things for me. That just makes this more interesting to see how people work around the rule.
  • @bluprintmtg I'm thinking "...returns to the battlefield and isn't a creature." Perhaps?

As for cards being modified when they reenter the battlefield, I forget why I was looking it up, and more so why it was relevant but in looking up dual sided cards, the origins cycle (and select innistrad block cards) had the text "return to the battlefield transformed/enter the battlefield transformed" and that essentially modifies how cards behave, and changes their types upon entering the battlefield. I'm thinking the same could happen here.
  • @QwertyThe0th Left a comment on your card.
  • @Syrix Unfortunately, I learned about this rules thing too late. Oh well. At least I've still got two more posts.
  • @QwertThe0th unless the thread starter has an issue with it, you could always repost your entry.
  • I did another thing (this time, I'm more confident)
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/animated-sliver-hide
  • Using an old card with the Scrap mechanic.

Scrap X: When this creature dies, instead it becomes an artifact with Equip X with specified abilities (usually ones that the original creature had)

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/steam-goliath#.VSYLRNzF__8
  • @QuertyThe0th commented on your card. MUST READ
  • This is unfortunate. Was hoping for more than this, but okay. I'll work with what I got here. I'll make my verdict later today.
  • edited February 2016
    Winners have been decided.

First Place: @fraziel07

A nice, simple card is sometimes the best. This is a case of that. It isn't overly complicated or powerful and it sits at a nice spot in the mana curve for what it is. It could use some reminder text for Scrap, but that isn't a major concern or enough of an issue to make me not like this.

Second Place: @Gelectrode

Negative power and toughness is a rather interesting concept that I honestly kinda wanted to see more of aside from just 2 cards, but I digress. Its effect also makes this a somewhat niche card; only really fitting in with Golgari or Sultai, but as an avid player of both; I don't really mind that and would actually probably use this myself in a couple decks.

Third Place: @QwertyThe0th

You took this contest and flipped what I expected around. I was looking for artifact creatures that became regular artifacts, but you gave the reverse by making an artifact that can become a creature. That was an unexpected result that I enjoyed looking at. It's also at a great spot in the mana curve basically being a regular 3/2 for 3; and a +3/+2 for 5. My only problem is that it can really only work in a Sliver deck that is mixing tribes; and as such, has a very small niche, and while I love Slivers; I can't really agree to this for that reason. Slivers are a deck that's meant to be full-tribal, and while this can let you not be so restricted; I cannot see anyone actually using this as anything other than a 3/2 body if they do actually use it.
This discussion has been closed.