Investigate in Shadows over Innistrad?

edited February 2016 in MTG Gameplay Chat
Who else, like myself, really dislikes the Investigate mechanic? Do you or don't you like it and why?

If your not on the "up-and-up" about the mechanic: Investigate (Put a colorless Clue artifact token onto the battlefield with "{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

I don't like putting one or more single use"pay {2} draw card" artifacts in play as a keyword mechanic. It seems pretty silly to me.

Comments

• Interesting, during the set crossover I can see boards swarmed with "clues" and Eldrazi tokens. We're gonna need a bigger table!
  • I don't really know what to think of it, but it does feel like a funky mechanic that, as @mtgcardsmith said, is going to litter an already full playing field... that being said... popping a token to get cards when you need them is going to alter the game... Used all your cards? Pop some clue tokens and fill your hand. Why wouldn't everyone play with this?
  • i like it, actually.
  • Oh no, I have no cards in my hand, but I have 3 clues and plenty of mana.
  • edited March 2016
    The major thing that it is making people think of is the origins cards that use artifacts, namely Thopter Spy Network and Pira and Kiran Nalar, will become a lot more potent if it is possible to investigate regularly. The prices on both have already spiked.
  • Hmmm... interesting.
  • I think exploring the design space of cards that depend on clues makes it interesting. A card could have affinity for clues for example, or could have a cost that involves sacrificing or tapping a clue, etc...
  • True, good idea!
  • edited April 2016
    Jace certainly doesn't have an affinity for clues...

It's Emra, Jace. We all know it. We've known for months.
  • I don't understand why you think it's silly? It makes perfect sense flavourwise and is an interesting way to put draw in *every color* at mostly the same price. White loves this because it inherently has little to no draw at all
  • The idea is growing on me a bit.

I just thought it felt too... cartoony? First impulse anyway, but it felt like "Innistrad Meets Scooby-Doo" was going to be the community nickname for the set.

Also, when I first saw clues spoiled, I didn't like the pay a clue, sac a clue, draw some cards repetition. As I understand the flavor a bit more this doesn't seem so bad.
  • I personally like the investigate mechanic quite a bit, mainly due to the fact that I am a werewolf player. It gives us a chance to do things with all our extra mana and increase variety for our next turn, making it quite enjoyable.
  • I really like the idea of Investigate, but I think it needs more support. Maybe there should be a Sol Ring-ish artifact that can only activate Clues you control...
  • Can we close this now @Corwinnn?
This discussion has been closed.