Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FAQ's and Common Suggestions

Here are some of the most common questions and suggestions...

This is an ongoing post that I will be adding to as I have the free time. If I don't have an answer to something yet, be patient.
XD

Comments

• edited December 2016
    How do I edit my cards?
    (Also... "I made a mistake but if I fix it ALL my favorites will go away!)

For Premium Members the answer is simple - You Can! - In the oracle Text box on the right side of your card, you will find a pencil icon. Click that, and you will be magically transported to the Load Image page. Simply reload the image and you will be transported to the Edit Card page, with all of your information filled in. Now all you need to do is make the proper correction(s) and republish the card.
    The card will remain in your library, along with all the favorites still attached to it!
    (please note that cards made prior to July 1st, 2016 will most likely not be edit compatible.)

For non-premium users the answer is also simple. This feature is exclusively for Premium Members. If you want to become a premium member, there are a couple of ways to do it.
    http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/comment/25817/#Comment_25817

If, for whatever reason, you cannot become a Premium Member, the only way to edit your card is to completely remake it. My suggestion is to use the old card as a reference to make the new card, including Copy/Pasting the Oracle text from the right of the card, so you don't have to retype the entire thing.
  • edited July 2016
    How do I start a Contest/Challenge?

Anyone can start a contest or a challenge just by clicking the "New Discussion" button, but there are a few things you might want to take into consideration before you do.

What is the difference between a Contest and a Challenge?
    This is always open for debate, but I think the commonly agreed upon definitions are that a Contest is based on competition and a Challenge is based on achievement. With that being said, you can call yours whatever you like.

What is the difference between a regular challenge and one that is just for fun?
    Challenges are considered "Just for fun" based on the following... Is it complex? If the Challenge is simple in nature, it might be just for fun. Does it have prizes? If it doesn't have prizes, or it "might" get prizes, it's definitely just for fun.

What are acceptable prizes?
    Custom made cards, Trophies and favorites are the customary prizes, just try not to go overboard on the favorites. Cardsmiths work very hard to get favorites on their cards so they can earn a spot on the favored list, and if you give out too many in a challenge, then they lose a lot of what makes them special. MTGCardsmith has also given us some guidelines to follow. Read about it here...
    http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4/mtg-cardsmith-forum-rules#latest

How do I make a Trophy?
    There are two ways. You can make a trophy on your own account, or you can use the -TROPHY- account. If you're a new Cardsmith we can make one for you, and if you're an established Cardsmith we can grant you access so you can make the Trophy yourself!

How long should my challenge last?
    Because people can't always get on as much as we might like, it's good to give a challenge at least a week to garner interest.

My challenge is over, how do I close it?
    Just type "This discussion is closed" and one of the Mods/Admins will close it for you when they see it.

Other Contest Notes

1. Try not to start a challenge if you can't complete it. Running over a day or two, or extending for a week or so is perfectly fine, but you need to keep in mind that people put a lot of effort into making cards and when a Challenge gets abandoned it leaves people wondering why they went to so much effort for nothing.

2. Try to make it interesting, and not the same challenge that someone else just did. When we have the same challenge over and over, or a contest with very little effort put into it, Cardsmiths start to lose interest and stop entering. This makes it frustrating for everyone involved.
  • edited November 2016
    Are You Ever Going To Make/Add This?
    (Also... I have a suggestion.)

If you're curious about what the MTG Cardsmith team is working on or if you have a suggestion for them... Check out this link!
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/about/new-feature-suggestions

Recent Additions/Improvements

1. Added Gold Split Border Card Frames For All Users
    2. Added Hybrid Border Card Frames For All Users
    3. Added A New Avatar For Premium Users
    4. Added Tribal Supertypes
    5. Decreased Time When Adding Cards To Sets
    6. Added Vault Store - https://mtgcardsmith.com/store/
    7. Added Waste Symbol
    8. Added New Set Symbols (Increased Patron Set Symbols To 4)
    9. Editing for Premium members
    10. Added Kaladesh Set Symbol
    11. Added Energy, Untap and Snow Symbols
  • edited July 2016
    What Comes With Premium Membership?
    (Also... Why do you keep asking me for money?)

MTGCardsmith has grown from a place where you could go to make a card out of an idea you had, into a full blown community. The price of building and maintaining all of this has gone up, and because we're a demanding lot, MTGCardsmith has given us a way to speed things up. This brings improvements to everyone, and special features for those who have the means to donate.

Patreon donations work like this...
    - Donate $1 = $12 for the whole year
    - Donate $2 = $24 for the whole year
    - Donate $3 = $36 for the whole year
    All of the above gets...
    Entry into a monthly drawing to win a random MTG Rare (or better)

- Donate $5 = $60 for the whole year
    Entry into a monthly drawing to win a random MTG Rare (or better) plus these Premium Features
    Add ANY card to your custom set
    2000 Card Capacity
    Reduced on-site advertising
    Early access and previews of the newest features

- Donate $10 = $120 for the whole year
    You get all of the above and you also get it on a SECOND ACCOUNT!
    Even the smallest donation will make a difference!

PATREON
    https://www.patreon.com/mtgcardsmith?ty=h

Don't want to donate each month? There is another way to show your love!
    DONATE
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/about/donate
    One time donations work like this...
    - One month of Premium ($5)
    - Three months of Premium ($15)
    - Six months of Premium ($30)
    - One year of Premium ($60)
    - One year of Premium and one year for a friend ($120)

GIVE A GIFT
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/store/membership
  • How Do I Change The Name On My Account?

This question comes up more often than you might think. The long and short of it is, unless you have a largely unfortunate user name, it's most likely going to remain what it is. Some consideration might be given to Premium Account members, but the reality is, you would be better off creating an entirely new account.
  • Updates to this page coming soon!
  • @Corwinnn, I've been stuck at exactly 402 favorites for many days even though I've made around 10 more cards with about 20 favorites, yet my count never changes. Is there a reason?
  • I think this would be a cool thing to add:

You know how currently, when you want to make, say a Land Creature, you have to say 'Creature - Land', what if you made the card type box like the subtype box?

So it would be a blank space where you could type anything in? That way you could artifact lands, schemes and conspiracies too.
  • @kimjongmartin One of the reasons the drop-down exists is because it adds the power/toughness box when creature is one of the selected types. That kind of change will likely happen if/when the editor changes from selecting border type to directly selecting which frame to use.
  • @Strongbelieves

That's true, but you could do it like how it is with the vehicle thing: when you type in 'creature', it automatically adds P and T.
  • @KimJongMartin I personally think it's a great idea. Ive always wanted to make enchanment planeswalkers, enchantment lands, artifact planeswalkers and so on. Maybe they could always have the P/T but if you don't put anything in them it won't appear.
  • That's a great idea @jazipa!
  • I have maybe a more technical question: but whenever I try to upload an image on my iPad, it tells me, "failed to create scaled version:". Do you know what this means or how to fix the problem, I've tried to crop the images to be smaller but that didn't change it. Do you know if this is a bug or something I can fix? Thanks Corwinnn
  • @Mobin - We can take a look at it and see if there is something buggy. Have you tried restarting your iPad?
  • I got this error when trying to publish a card:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20 bytes) in /home/adminsbx/public_html/mtgcardsmith.com/public/src/services/Publisher.php on line 188
  • That's a funky one @MrManGod!
  • We need an opyion for a P/T box independent from the card type.
  • We are currently reviewing this thread for ideas and common requests for the year ahead. Thank you for your feedback, we will have an update soon!
  • Is MTGCardsmith considering some of the following changes?

1) More options for variable stats... examples shown below
    X+2/X+2
    or X+2/Y+2
    or 3X/3Y

It would be helpful since we could make cards that fit the Lhurmogoyf tribe and reduce clutter on some cards.

2) Have premium users not need to frequently re-select the image when editing a card.
    Aka. make changing it an optional feature. (Some yes or no prompt would do!)

3) Colored Artifact borders (Not in the near future obviously!)

4) Add more types of tokens such as land, basic and legendary. Primarily the first two as I want to make custom land artwork

Thanks for the help so far everyone! :)
  • I would like if MTGCardsmith can make the following a premium feature as it would help with contest management!

1) The privatizing of a capped amount of cards so as to delay uploads.
    2) Being able to do the same as above via the specific set. (Ignores cards other people uploaded!)

Also, thanks for the help so far Corwinnn! :)
  • I say this with no jealous reasons, but the Favored Members list has grown a bit long...

Maybe 500?
  • edited January 10
    Why not? 600 is good.

If it were up to me, I'd do 1000, but then we couldn't reach only 6 people. Or can we...

@Tomigon + @Corwinnn + @Beeswax + @Animist + @Faiths_Guide... Yeah only 5.
  • What is this an auction house? XD
  • I was going to suggest that ages ago...
    But don't do it until I reach 600 favorites.
    XD