Prizes: Packs, Picks or Perks?

Hey everyone. I'm going to be hosting another contest in a few weeks and I wanted some input on the kind of prizes people are most interested in. I don't like giving favorites or follows because I reserve spots on my favorites list for cards I think are the best of the best. So what then can I give out for contests? I have had people interested in reward cards that synergize with something of the winner's choice but that isn't always all that exciting. So here are some of the possible prizes I'm thinking of for the next contest:

1) Packs
Everyone likes packs. They're a random chance at all kinds of goodies. They're also expensive enough to really only be a grand prize for something.

2) Picks
Since I'm trying to get back into paper Magic, I could open a variety of packs, pick the best X cards from them and let each of the winners choose one, or even let them draft around in order. Higher rank winners would get priority picks. This is probably the most economical since I actually get to keep some cards.

3) Perks
MTGCS premium membership is a great deal and once you've had a taste of it, you're generally hooked. Giving away X months of premium membership is a good way to encourage users and maybe trick a few thrifty people into signing up once their reward time runs out. This is also pretty expensive and would likely only be part of a grand prize.

4) Plus
Any other suggestions? If favorites and follows are out, what kind of prizes do you guys want to see?

Comments

• edited May 2016
    I'm liking 2 (picks)! Cool ideas!
  • I think Packs are a top tier prize, with 1 month of premium being my secondary prize option. Custom made cards comes in as my tertiary selection, but it is also my favorite option of the three, because I do love custom made cards...

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/corwinnn-ironically-bemused?list=set&set=1014
  • Print the cards that win your contest onto sticker paper and put them on Magic cards. Send the winners an actual playset of four copies of their winning submissions, maybe a few more of their cards done this way as additional prizes.
  • @biblio2 I actually once looked into getting the cards professionally printed. It would cost a nice little chunk since you would have to buy quite a few at a time but it should be possible to print cards that are usable custom MTG cards (obviously not tournament legal).
  • @strongbelieves That's AMAZING.
  • I say 1... Who doesn't love packs? Can't wait for the contest!
  • Sweet! Since I missed the last one- I'm ready. :)
  • BRING IT ON!!!!
  • The other problem with giving away tangible prizes is that they have to be shipped. I'm not really concerned with paying shipping costs but that really restricts prize winners to the continental US and people at least 14 years old... Maybe older... I don't want to send unsolicited packages to children.
  • Uh oh. I'm only 11.
  • Yeah, I also agree with @Biblio2. It would be cool to see their own made mtg cards published, and would bring more and more enteries to this contest. I can't wait!!!
  • @Futbol
    Just address it to your parents bud :)
This discussion has been closed.