AtheraCollaborationSet - Tournament of Champions

The set was completed, then the decks were built... but there seems to be something missing... Oh yeah... Part 2!

It's time to actually play with these cards we've made!

That's right... you heard me say it... It's time for the ...

AtheraCollaborationSet Tournament of Champions!

How does this work Corwinnn... tell us!!

The first thing you need to do is go to https://untap.in/ And sign up. It's best if you use your Cardsmith ID, but it's not necessary. Once you're signed up, come back here and post your Untap ID, and let us know you're interested!

The Rules:
1. For round one, you must use one of the six pre-constructed decks.
2. Be honest, and report your wins and losses with integrity.
3. Have fun!

Welcome to the first EVER playable Custom Card Tournament on MTGCardsmith!
We've never done this before, so expect some hiccups!

How to make your decks
Below will be posted the SIX approved decks.
All you have to do is go to untap.in and click Decks... then New Deck and select MTG from the drop down menu.
Search the cards from your chosen deck, drag them into your deck list and modify the numbers so that you have the right number of cards. Once you have them, name the deck and save it!
You can use any or all of the six decks we built for round one.

Matches: How do we do this?
Best of three.
Do not switch decks in mid battle.
If you're getting beat, you can forfeit, but do so nicely, and accept the win or loss with sportsmanship.
That means no "Table flipping"
You can battle as many times as you want.
Do not modify your decks in round one.

Why no modifications?
The first reason is to give all players of different skill levels an equal footing.
The second reason is playtesting!

We want feedback on these cards! What cards work, what cards don't, how do the cards interact, what cards really need to be fixed? It's one thing to make 300 plus cards... it's something else to make them work well together!

My suggestions to anyone unfamiliar with Untap.In
1. Play a few solitaire games to familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the site.
2. Be respectful. We're representatives of MTGCardsmith while we're over there.
3. Have fun! If you're not having fun... what's the point?

AtheraCollaborationSet
http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/AtheraCollaborationSet

(If I've missed anything, please let me know!)

Comments

• edited June 2016
    ADVENTURE TIME - GW Deck By @Corwinnn

2 Woodland Nomad
    3 Hawkshot Archer
    4 Atheran Cartographer
    3 Towerfall Ranger
    2 Intrepid Ascender
    3 Dedicated Spearguard
    3 Woodland Protector
    2 Seeker of Dawn
    1 Bounty Hunter of Athera
    2 Kyn of the Frontier
    2 Alverra, Forest Ambler
    3 Adventurer's Passage
    3 Charting the Wilds
    3 Springtide
    2 Kyn's Command
    2 Heartmend
    4 Silver Shrine
    4 Ironshrine Oasis
    6 Forest
    6 Plains

BEASTMODE - RG Deck By @Mysterious_Gangsta

2 Giamed, Darkwood Druid
    2 World Eater Ooze
    3 Thunderhoof Mastodon
    3 Thousand-Spined Manticore
    3 Multiplying Ooze
    4 Self-Welding Soldier
    2 Cumu, Nature’s Squire
    3 Beastcaller Shaman
    2 Shaman of Nature’s Grace
    3 Firekin Druid
    3 Manacurved Flame
    2 Manamorphose
    3 Giamed’s Command
    2 Exploration
    2 Sadistic Fever
    2 Athera Outlands
    3 Tin Shrine
    1 Druaga Challenge Pit
    10 Forest
    6 Mountain
  • edited June 2016
    THE COLLECTIVE - WU Deck By @Corwinnn

2 Everzeal Missionary
    2 Skill Collector
    2 Tome Keeper
    1 Atheran Tinkerer
    2 Powernet Teacher
    2 Unyielding Defender
    3 Valorseek Cleric
    2 Adventurous Mechanical
    2 Atheran Archivist
    2 Revolutionary Mob
    2 Cunning Merchant
    2 Self Assurance
    2 Atheran Recruitment
    4 Protective Rebuff
    2 Tax the Citizens
    2 Arslan's Command
    2 Political Banishment
    2 Rebuke the Foolish
    1 Library of Athera
    4 Gold Shrine
    1 City Lane
    8 Plains
    8 Island

ANGRY FAERIES - UB Deck By @Tomigon

3 Assembling Spidermech
    1 Mechanical Sell-Sword
    4 Moon Imp Dazzler
    4 Faerie Illusionist
    2 Cutwing Seer
    4 Fae of Atheran Sorrow
    2 Fae of the Shrine
    2 Etara, Cutwing Matron
    2 Taes, Keeper of Secrets
    4 Counter Helix
    3 Feat of Sanity
    4 Etara's Command
    1 Tin Shrine
    1 Iron Shrine
    1 Xrintis, Faerie Centre
    11 Island
    11 Swamp
  • edited June 2016
    LET'S BE FIENDS By @Termite1

2 Cut-Purse Imp
    4 Self-Welding Soldier
    2 Outland Nomad
    2 Flashfire Imp
    2 Relentless Stalker
    4 Warden at the Gates of Druaga
    3 Fiend Flame Alchemist
    2 Druaga's Priest
    3 Night Terror
    4 Orc Firebug
    2 Hellwing Faerie
    3 Hellfire Blast
    2 Wave of Ruination
    2 Scorching Ritual
    2 Feat of Sanity
    3 Iron Shrine
    2 Fiend Pit
    9 Mountain
    7 Swamp

MECHANICAL MAYHEM - CR Deck By @Lujikul

2 Weapon of the Ancients
    2 Intolerant Sentinel
    3 Steel Eyed Hunter
    3 Outland Mechanical
    2 Dropspeed Mechanical
    1 Dumat, Mechanical Uniter
    3 Self-welding Soldier
    2 Outland nomad
    1 Alsh-Anid, Megacanical
    2 Druaga's Cavalier
    4 Assembling Spidermech
    3 Manacurved Flame
    1 Beastial Rage
    1 Aurum's Command
    2 Runic borderstone
    2 Ichorblood Screams
    1 Fire Within
    3 Blazing Touch
    2 Iron shrine
    4 Athera Outlands
    3 Diamond Shrine
    12 Mountain
  • edited June 2016
    We've decided to include cadstar369's original deck as a playing option!

ATHERAN BEASTS - RG Deck - By @cadstar369

3 Bloodspark Shaman
    4 Cobble Troll
    4 Faerie Beastwalker
    2 Farland Ranger
    2 Giamed, Darkwood Druid
    2 Lifeweaver Shaman
    2 Pouncing Sabretooth
    2 Shaman of Growth
    2 Thicket Goliath
    4 Thunderhoof Mastodon
    3 Beastcaller Shaman
    2 Undergrowth Monitor
    2 Curse of Humiliation
    2 Immolate
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Tin Shrine
    3 Untamable Wilderness
    8 Mountain
    10 Forest
  • edited June 2016
    @Corwinnn , This is amazing.

I'm there now, wanna (try to) playtest one?
  • It's been a long time since I've actually played! I'm in as well!
  • I'm making an Athera game for 2
  • This project is fantastic, please keep us up to date on the gameplay and balance!!
  • edited June 2016
    I'm "ha" over on Untap. I'm in.

Remove the "s" on Island for the collective decklist.
  • edited June 2016
    I just added you @Faiths_Guide
    Mine is Corwinnn
    I'm off to sleep... it takes some time to work out the mechanics of the site, but after a while it starts to make sense.
    Got the "s"
  • edited June 2016
    I'm Cryptonight on untap.in , and I gotta say, it's crazy fun to play with our custom cards! XD

Been using the ANGRY FAERIES - UB Deck so far, and the result is:

2-0 : against @Corwinnn , running: ADVENTURE TIME - GW Deck
    2-0 : against @Faiths_Guide , playing : THE COLLECTIVE - WU Deck

Notes :

- THE COLLECTIVE - seems to definitely need more lands. there are a lot of heavy cards in it, and only 22 lands.

- We ran into this little scenario where I cast Etara's Command image - choosing mode 3, and Faith had a Protective Rebuff image , but couldn't counter my spell! (Because apparently I could distribute 3 -1/-1 counters on any creature - *without* targeting them!) I felt so dirty getting away with that, that I think I need to shower now...

If anyone else plays on untap.in (it's free to join and doesn't require you to download or install anything!), it pays to familiarize yourself with how things work. Don't get frustrated or overwhelmed - just click around and you'll find it's intuitive enough.

Some tips on how to use untap.in :
    ---------------------------------
    - First - and most importantly, ( 'V' ) shuffles your library. Remember to do this at the start of the game! Shuffle more than once even.

- ( 'C' ) draws cards. Faith taught me that you can press a number first, and then C, to draw that many. Example: 7 , C : will draw you seven.

- Double-clicking something from hand sends it to the battlefield. (You can also drag'n'drop cards from your hand onto the battlefield.)

- Double-clicking something on the battlefield taps it / untaps it.

- Clicking the arrow at the bottom-left untaps everything. (Edit: alternately ( 'X' ) does the same thing, as Faiths_Guide points out.)

- Hovering your cursor over any card (in had or play), and pressing ( 'D' ), will send it to the graveyard. Alternately, pressing ( 'S' ) will send it to exile.

- Hovering over a card and pressing ( 'K' ), will create a copy of it on the battlefield. (You can only distinguish the two by hovering over it, and seeing "(clone)", at the very bottom-right of your screen.)

- (Sending a copy to another zone will eliminate it.)

- You can highlight multiple cards at once (and tap them simultaneously). Just click somewhere on the board, drag the mouse and draw a rectangle around the cards you want to highlight. Letting go of the click pops a menu box with for you'd like to do with the selected cards.

- When you click on your library, a menu will pop up, eventually you will see the number '1' alongside the options. At that point, you can type another number, to change it. 9 , 9 : if you want to change it to 99, for example. So when you go to view the top of your library, you can press 5 to change the 1 to a 5, and then when you select the option, you will view the top 5, depending on what you need to do.

- ( 'W' ) makes tokens. Faith tells me you can add tokens to your decklist beforehand. (You can "add notes" to any card. If you add them to a token, that can be a method to keep track of their type & P/T.)

- *For cards that require you to take control of another player's permanents.* ; since you can't actually tap/untap or move another player's cards, the solution is to hover over them with the mouse, and press ( 'K' ) - to clone it. (The original owner can then place their original card either in exile, their secondary library, or off to the outer border of the battlefield. - until / if they regain control of it, or whatever.)

- *Remember* - these keyboard shortcuts only work if you are not blinking/writing in the chat box. In other words, you must first click somewhere empty on the table-top.

Good games all!
  • I did beat Lujikul's Mechanicals 2-0. but I don't know if it was a real match
  • That's great information @Cryptonight!

So I also forgot Sideboards and Modifications. For now, since I am on my way out the door, let's say...

Deck Minimum is 60 cards. You can add more lands, and extra cards for a sideboard, but for Round 1 let's keep Sideboard cards limited to cards you would find within the deck.

If you find a card that you think needs to be available as a sideboard card, post it here, and we might add it to an approved sideboard list, so that it's available to everyone.

I'll try to check in throughout the day! Good Luck! Have Fun! GG!

• My Decks and Records
    Adventure Time 0-1
  • Yeah, the mechanicals is suffering from an unstable mana curve/base and a lack of interaction. I'll probably do some tweaking in my spare time in case of round 2.
  • edited June 2016
    Yes, as @Cryptonight stated, the Collective decklist is hovering around 3.5-4.5 AVG CMC and only runs 22 lands. I basically just watched as @Cryptonight played... then I cried myself to sleep. :D

For consistency, the Collective decklist also needs less diversity (more copies of a unique card).

Counter Helix in the Faerie decklist (which runs 4) is simply busted, it's a strictly better Counter Spell.
    Etara's Command just needs targeting on mode 3 to be unbroken.

"x" is to untap all permanents on Untap.in

My Decks and Records:
    The Collective 0-1
  • That's great to know! If you have any updates to make to the decks... please post them. What we know now is both Adventure Time and The Collective need more land (Those are my fault, I haven't built a deck in a long time) and those are easy remedies. Drop a couple fluff cards and pop in some land, or just add in some land if that's all you think it might need.

Minimum Deck size is 60, but if you want to run more, then feel free to adjust within the cards available to each deck.

Round 2 will have much more freedom!
  • edited June 2016
    @Corwinnn , I updated my little tips section. ;-)

Yeah - I agree with Faiths_Guide that Counter Helix is pretty busted.
  • :::mental note...use faerie deck:::
  • Guys, you don't need to search for each card individually. There is an option to copy-paste a decklist in a txt form. It looks ALMOST like the lists already here, but for simplicities' sake, I am going to link a decklist for Faeries that you can completely copy-paste:

3 Assembling Spidermech
    1 Mechanical Sell-Sword
    4 Moon Imp Dazzler
    4 Faerie Illusionist
    2 Cutwing Seer
    4 Fae of Atheran Sorrow
    2 Fae of the Shrine
    2 Etara, Cutwing Matron
    2 Taes, Keeper of Secrets
    4 Counter Helix
    3 Feat of Sanity
    4 Etara's Command
    1 Tin Shrine
    1 Iron Shrine
    1 Xrintis, Faerie Centre
    11 Island
    11 Swamp

When you add cards to a deck, click the drop down menu between the two other buttons (left of save, right of the back button) - Then there's a button called "Paste Deck". copy paste the above decklist and it autobuilds it for you.

@Corwinnn

So many of the cards in various of decks are busted to high hell, especially the lands ._. I only played a few simulators of the Faerie deck, and the lands in the deck are absolutely broken. I don't understand how those lands made it into the deck :P
    Xrinthis, Iron Shrine and Tin Shrine are insane. Even if they have some "drawbacks", tapping for 2 colorless or two colors and being able to buff power or generate tokens or filter the deck... like, jesus. Completely out of bounds.
  • edited June 2016
    @Grimshac - glad to see you here! :p

Yea - I derped when Faith told me I could simply just copy/paste the deck in one shot. ._.

Pretty sure you can copy the list complete with "creatures" "lands" "spells", and it won't affect anything. (I tried for one of them, and ended up with a 60 card deck.)

There's a lot of balancing issues with some of the cards. I guess we're the playtesters. :p
  • *** Another thing of note *** If you see your friend's name in the list to the left of the lobby (or on the public chat, because of a message they wrote), you can click their name , and select Whisper. Then only they will see the next message you write, and it's sure to get their attention!
  • @Grimshac - I could not agree with you more! There are some busted cards, and more than a few outright horrible cards, but I didn't want to change too much... Afterall, I just joined in to help the last remaining guy finish the set. (I did remake one card, ever so slightly, and I heard about it, trust me!)
    It wasn't even my idea to set this all up, but once we started, it became something that had to be done.
    Playing with a full set of custom made cards is amazingly fun, and even though I was very reluctant to do this, I think we're all going to learn so much from the experience.

So even though round one is gonna stink, it's mostly just to keep things even and learn how to function on the site, Round two will open up the whole set (yes, playtesting again) and round three will be the most amazing thing you've ever seen. (think Napoleon Dynamite x10)
  • Modified the deck lists for copy/paste
  • Vote Pedro for Athera President!
  • I'm surprised at non -1/-1 deck creations. You had so many cards use that ability.
  • Me too! I hope someone puts one together.
    XD
  • edited June 2016
    @Corwinnn , it's all good - we understand that this is a test run of MtGCS cards on untap.in , and I'd say that it was a success! - Now we know that we can conveniently play with our custom cards! We also are getting a feel of untap.in for the first time, and learning the functions.

* However - I have a message for everyone here. *

The MtG community at untap.in probably doesn't want to have to sort through custom cards; let's say they are searching for "Eldrazi" something, and we have a bunch of custom cards loaded up with the word "Eldrazi" in the title, then it risks cluttering the searches of people who want to build serious decks there.

This doesn't sound like a problem right now, but imagine protracting our activity over the course of the next few years. We will have tens of thousands of custom cards in their database, and it risks confusing the heck out of everyone.

For the sake of not ruffling any feathers (and risk having our custom cards deleted by an untap.in mod/admin), @Grimshac and I discussed and agreed that we should from now on add our custom cards under the "Custom CCG" category.

Think about it. There is no point playing our custom sets against real decks, and nothing is stopping us from adding existing cards to the "Custom CCG", either in the case of reprints within our custom sets, or if you just want to test one of your real decks against a custom deck, just for fun.

So *PLEASE* everyone; add your custom MtGCardsmith cards to the 'Custom CCG' category. The in-game functions are exactly the same.

All in all, I think it's the most respectful solution. What do you all say?
This discussion has been closed.