Trabadart the Tragedy Set - Mechanics Challenge

2»

Comments

• Hmmm... Hopefully, this is better. It's for acceptance: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sainted-vanguard
  • edited July 2016
    So, I've got a mechanic for "Bargaining" I quite like, but it feels very Izzet... doesn't really relate to black.

Wager (Whenever [this permanent] deals damage to a creature, that creatures controller may exchange control of another permanent he or she controls with a nonland permanent chosen at random controlled by another target player.)

I'm thinking making it a death trigger might solidify the relation:

Wager (Whenever a creature dealt damage by [this permanent] this turn dies, its controller may exchange control of a permanent he or she controls with a nonland permanent chosen at random controlled by another target player.)

Thoughts? I've got the first card together but haven't published yet.
  • edited July 2016
    Maybe just change the last bit:

Wager (Whenever a creature dealt damage by [this permanent] this turn dies, its controller may exchange control of a permanent he or she controls with a nonland permanent they don't control chosen at random.)

I like this best :)

The only issue (I'm not totally sure it really is one) is that this essentially makes the central color RED. Red seems like the color most aligned to the idea of bargaining in my head anyway, with the possible exception of BLACK.
  • @TrippleBoggey3 The reminder text of Forebearance is longer than the average keyword mechanic but it certainly is within reasonable limits, and I have no problem understanding what it does =)

@Faiths_Guide It's ok if it doesn't perfectly fit the Blue>Black>Red order of importance, I promise it won't influence judging ^^ Control exchanges are indeed perfectly suitable for all three colours :)
  • [Official :P]

For Blue/Black/Red -- Bargaining.

Custom mechanic Wager:
    Wager (Whenever a creature dealt damage by [this permanent] this turn dies, its controller may exchange control of a permanent he or she controls with a nonland permanent they don't control chosen at random.)

• For Green/White/Blue -- Acceptance.

Custom mechanic Consent:
    Consent (Each spell on the stack can't be countered. Any player may pay {1} for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn.)

• edited July 2016
    Black/Red/Green -- Depression

Custom mechanic Misery:
    Misery (Whenever [this creature] deals combat damage to a player, sacrifice it or it deals damage equal to its toughness to you.)

• edited July 2016
    (Left the Misery wording vague because writing "...sacrifice it unless you have it deal damage equal to its toughness to you" didn't fit as nicely. Still clear enough?)
  • It's fine as it's reminder text ;)
  • edited July 2016
    Red/Green/White -- Anger

Custom mechanic Irate:
    Irate (When [this creature] becomes the target of a spell or ability, untap it.)

Finally some Flavor Text space!
  • edited July 2016
    Need to update Patrician I forgot set symbol and rarity! Updated!

Misery could've been worded:
    Misery N (Whenever [this creature] deals combat damage to a player, sacrifice it unless you have it deal N damage to you.)

Better? I was, unwittingly, staying away from "value abilities".
  • Super cool Fun Fact @ningyounk!
  • edited July 2016
    @Corwinn ;D

I've started to check all the links for the end of the contest, @TrippleBoggey3 your link for Sainted Vanguard isn't working :/ I need it to work before the end of the contest (when wednesday 27 is done in all countries) if you want to enter it ^^
  • So should I make one for the last slot, Denial?
  • @Faiths_Guide This is not an obligation, but you still have your sixth slot available for this contest, if you wish to design for Denial =D
    And the contest ends when wednesday is completely over anywhere on the planet which is, I believe, in more than 19 hours ;)
  • White/Blue/Black -- Denial

Custom mechanic Disregard:
    Disregard (If a source would deal damage to [this creature], if it is less than its toughness, prevent that damage.)

• I think I may have strayed out of Esper with that mechanic... :(
  • Aaaaand *CONTEST CLOSED* =D

30 entries
    23 mechanics
    8 Smiths

Thanks to everyone who participated! Results are coming soon =D
  • edited July 2016
    Here are the results! (Yes, I did some work in advance ;p)

THIRD POSITION:
    @GodOfWar with the following mechanic:
    Refusal (This creature cannot block or be blocked by creatures that have been the target of a spell or ability this turn.)

imageimage

This mechanic sounds like there is a lot of synergies possible with it. I like how it's an evasion ability that can actually let you do crazy things while having some interesting restrictions. I especialy like the very unique downside of it. Individually, the cards are not the best that have been designed for the contest with some balance issues and weird colour choices going on xD They're not as clean as they could be but the mechanic is very solid, and the cards are quite flavourful =D

SECOND POSITION:
    @Faiths_Guide with the following mechanic:
    Despond (Whenever a creature you control dies, if it wasn't sacrificed, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature.)

I hesitated on it because it doesn't synergize very well with other keywords, but it was so flavourful, so unique and so quirky that I could not help but really like it. I mean, it's a malus ability that represents depression, and offers a ton of interactions but with things like sacrifice and -1/-1 counters instead of the usual evergreen keyword. It is weird, but it's adamant in its proposition with a lot of coherence which I really liked :D
    (Bonus points for making all your cards really Trabadart-themed, you made this plane live!)

AND THE WINNER IS:
    @Beeswax with the following mechanic:
    Pact {cost} (You may cast this spell without paying its mana cost. If you do, you lose the game at the beginning of the next upkeep unless you pay its pact cost.)

imageimage

He had a simple idea of taking a cycle of old cards and twitching it into a new keyword. The result is intuitive, flashy, and has a ton of design space, while being just different enough from the original mechanic that it feels unique and balanced. I'm just running out of compliments in my head because, for me, this mechanic is just a complete homerun *.*

Once again, thanks to the winners but also everyone else who participated! =D This was a small contest which is why I can't put more people on the podium (or else everyone will get a price xD) but I think we got to see some really original design!

@GodOfWar What 1 card of yours do you want me to favourite?
    @Faiths_Guide What 3 cards of yours do you want me to favourite?
    @Beeswax What 5 cards of yours do you want me to favourite?
  • @Faiths_Guide Belief is very fun! :) I favoured Trust, Proposed Altering, and Organized Thought ^^
  • Congrats to all the winners, and a Very Special Thanks to @ningyounk for taking the time to host and judge this very cool challenge!
  • I'm fond of Dewdrop Evangelists, Masterwork Heirloom, Sunstroke Titan, Miri (Deranged Dilettante), and Midnight Oil (the newer one).
  • @Corwinnn, could you close this challenge please?
    I'll contact @GodOfWar by private message ^^
This discussion has been closed.