I need help on a very complicated templating of a protection ability

Hi guys,

I'm trying to template something quite complicated, so if you know a card that did something similar before or if you have any idea about the best way to do this, I'd be very grateful =D

Here's what I'm trying to template properly: A creature that have protection from things that are neither enchantments nor enchanted.

Here are some of my attempts, what do you think is better? (Note that the last 2 versions try to reproduce the most important parts of Protection without using the actual keywords)

- Protection from sources that are neither enchantment or enchanted

- Protection from nonenchantment nonenchanted

- CARDNAME can't be blocked, dealt damage, or be targeted by sources that are neither enchantment nor enchanted.

- CARDNAME can't be blocked, dealt damage, or be targeted by non enchantment nonenchanted sources.

Comments

• Protection from non would probably be the best way to go, like non-Human and non-Spirit in Spare from Evil and Harbinger of Spring.

So maybe: "Protection from nonenchantment permanents and nonenchanted permanents."

I don't think "nonenchanted" is a word that's ever been used on a Magic card but I think it could work.
  • "Protection from everything except enchantments and enchanted permanents" could also work.
  • ^^ This
  • edited July 2016
    @Animist Yes that's why it's so tricky xD For instance I first thought of "Protection from nonenchantment permanents and nonenchanted permanents" and then realized it didn't work because now to pass through the protection the thing had to be enchantment *AND* enchanted (instead of *OR*) XD This is horrible and mind melting I know, but it's gonna go on a Legendary Mythic Rare at 7 mana so... XD

Oooh not bad thanks @Beeswax! I didn't think of using "everyting except" ^^ I'm gonna replace permanents with sources because I want it to work against spells and abilities also and that should do the trick ^^

Thanks you two =D

(I'm not gonna call Corwinnn to close this because I don't want to bother him for such tiny matters, and maybe someone else will come one day and add something.)
  • :::sniff:::
  • @Corwinn Wow you do read everything xD Well in that case could you please close this ? =D Thanks ! :)
  • Oh btw @Beeswax, I just realized how your version also protect from abilities x) See, I got cinfused again sorry
  • It needs a second "from" to make it clear that it's either not both. "Enchanted creatures" in on Enchanted Being so nonenchanted is the correct corollary. If you don't include spells in the protection it can still be targeted by them. So the template should be "Protection from nonenchantment permanents and spells and from nonenchanted creatures." Beeswax's solution also works and would be more readily grasped by a new player and saves text space. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1610
  • My version protects from abilities that don't come from enchantments or enchanted permanents. If you want spells to work, you'd want 'Protection from permanents that aren't enchantments or enchanted."
  • I want protection from spells also, so your first version was the good one ^^ It's just that I got confused at one point x)
  • Do you want protection from enchantment spells, or can the creature be enchanted?
  • edited July 2016
    @Biblio2 The creature can be enchanted, and can be blocked by enchanted creatures for instance ^^

This is what I ended up with (do you see any mistake in templating? It's a really tough one):

This discussion has been closed.