Giants of Shiok Thuul

I have been thinking about making a set based around giants, and the demons invading their lands.

Here is a little backstory about it first:
Shiok Thuul is a widely varying plane, that is home to several native tribes of giants. The Xeag of the Eastern Plains, The Vikaros of the Western Mountains, The Bimvog of the Southern Swamps, The Zutder of the Northern Islands, and finally, the Vosog of the Great Forest. In the past couple years, these giants have been under siege by demons, wishing to claim their powerful souls.

More info about each tribe -
The Xeag are nomads by nature, traveling the plains they call home, hunting down the animals that live their for food. They don't have an actual religion, although many of the lower ranking giants in the tribe worship the sun, who they believe brings them good luck. In battle, most of them fight on the backs of Greathorns, large herbivores that are basically supersized oxen. An interesting fact about them is that they are the only tribe that uses bows.
The Vikaros are miners by nature, excavating the mountains they call home, collecting rare minerals that they find. They have a religion based around gems, with the most important gods being Diamond and Coal, one that brings them riches, one that brings them power. In battle, they fight using giant hammers used for crushing rocks, which easily break the bones of any they face. An interesting fact about them is that they have adapted for long journeys into mountains, and can go without eating for weeks at a time.
The Bimvog are necromancers by nature, searching their swamps for any creatures that fell prey to the toxic bogs of their territory. They have a strict religion based around the dead assisting the living, and vice versa. In battle, they fight by directing their armies of dead, and casting powerful orbs of darkness. An interesting fact about them is that they accidently opened the portal that brought the demons into Shiok Thuul, though now they fight to banish them once again.
The Zutder are fishers and sailors by nature, scouring the oceans of Shiok Thuul for the most prized sea creatures, trading with the Xeag and the Vikaros. They have a religion based around worshipping the god of the sea, who they believe brings them bountiful harvests so that they survive the harsh winters of their islands. In battle, they fight using makeshift hooks and clubs made from their tools. An interesting fact about them is that they are the most social of the tribes, and often trade with other tribes.
The Vosog are shamans by nature, taming the wide variety of creatures found in the forest, mending any injured animals and plants they find. The Vosog have an extremely strict religion based around veganism, and they worship the gods of animals and trees. In battle, they fight by commanding the vast variety of animals and plants to attack and ensnare their enemies, as well as healing their allies. An interesting fact about them is that they remain extremely reclusive, and are rarely seen by any other tribes.

You guys will be creating giants and demons based around this story. Feel free to create any new keywords, abilities, creature types, etc., just tell me what they mean. I know this set is very similar to Battle for Zendikar, I'm just not that creative. Try putting some new twists on the story as well. If you guys have any good ideas for additions to it, please tell me.

I don't have a set date for this contest to end. I'll probably let it keep moving until I either have plenty of cards for the set, or until there hasn't been a comment for several weeks, which I know will eventually happen.

Prizes are as follows -
1st - Like on 5 cards of their choice, and a follow.
2nd - Like on 3 cards of their choice.
3rd - Like on 1 card of their choice.

Number of entries per person - 6, One demon, and one giant from each tribe. You don't have to stick to the colors set above, and I would like to see plenty of originality. (Look at me, being a hypocrite.) Have fun, and remember, those giants aren't going to save/die themselves!

Comments

• I'm going to be telling people what I think of their cards, as well as if I added them to my set or not.
  • And by giants, I don't mean the size of mountains
  • @DankSoulsRager, I'm scared that if I try something really different your not going to like it again...
  • @DankSoulsRager, Since the criteria is so un-restrictive and Giants have never actually had any similarities, this is pretty much just a "make me a random card with the subtype giant". Maybe you should add more criteria
  • @TrippleBogey3 Such as? I am completely open to new ideas.
  • If you can't find the weapons stated above, its no big deal.
  • I imagine you'll need a Demon Paragon!
  • Giants unite!
  • edited July 2016
    @Faiths_Guide That paragon looks awfully familiar. By the way, which tribe are you classifying that sorcery under. If you don't classify it, or can't decide, I'm still going to add it to the set any way, even though I won't judge it.

@TrippleBogey3 Look dude, I feel like crap for this, but that isn't what I meant when I said giants. I meant giants as in the things you see in stuff like Skyrim and other things like that.
  • edited July 2016
    @DankSoulsRager
    If you've seen it before, why haven't you favorited it yet? :P

Heavy-Handed could be Xeag.

Here's one for Zutder:
  • @Faiths_Guide Because the paragon contest has yet to end. I was planning on liking it anyway though, since I like it.
  • Ha! Didn't realize the Paragon contest was yours LOL!

It doesn't get disqualified for being in two of yours though does it?
  • Could someone tell me how to add other people's cards to my own set? Or do I have to remake the cards? I know I sound like an idiot for this but it would be a great help.
  • You have to have a premium account to do it.
  • @Faiths_Guide No it doesn't get disqualified. I don't think that I should do that. Instead, I believe in trial and error.
  • @Faiths_Guide I know I sound like an even bigger idiot for this, but do you have any ideas about what I could do instead of making them into a set?
  • edited July 2016
    @DankSoulsRager
    Well, @Corwinnn has been very obliging to situations similar to this in the past. If you tell him as you go which cards you'd like added to a set he'd very likely be willing to keep them together for you and you could post the link to it in the contest description.

P.S. You don't sound like an idiot :D
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Are you sure? Anyway, thanks for telling me that. I'll be sure to ask him at the end of this contest.
  • @TrippleBogey3 I think it's good but can you explain how it fits into the story? For example, maybe it is the spirit of a giant that died in the gales surrounding the Zutder's islands? You can use that if you want.
  • Here is my first entry. I couldn't find much art to use, so the art looks like a treefolk. Sorry about that. I will probably by uploading to my cap, as this was a lot of fun to do.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vrequal-master-of-nature
  • @DragonFaceEater I think it is good since that is kind of how I imagined that tribe.
  • In the year 300 BUL (Before Urza's Legacy), in the plane of Zendikar, everything was wild. The Eldrazi may have emerged before, but they had emerged later, in a later period. So here, before the humans built their castles, before the kor crafted their weapons, before the Angels soared the skies, the land was roamed by the wild. The elves and the beasts. And no... They did not live in harmony. Elves hunted and beasts ate, the chain would go round and round... And yet still... Others would wait and watch. In the water, the merfolk, which had been dormant awoke. They awoke to the call of duty. The call to defend. The call to protect. They had long been asleep, letting the elves do their work to defend the land. But this one was different. This wild beast was not one the elves could fight. It was a water giant.

The merfolk rounded up their fighter-women, (not fighter-men, as the women were the fighters), and set out to fight. They fought days long and nights everlasting, never-endingly killing them. But somewhere... Came a mystic. This mystic, was the legendary... Ugin. Ugin the dragon. Ugin the legendary mystical unending knowledge dragon.

Ugin banished the giant through a water-ring (an earlier hedron ring) and cast it out. And just by luck, this giant had been banished, to Shiok Thuul.
  • Do you guys think you could post which tribe your card is from, or if it is a demon, say so. I'm just saying this to help me keep track of what cards everyone has entered.
  • @TrippleBogey3 How long did it take you to come up with that? I like the backstory, but just to be clear, whose side is it on, the giants or the demons? His backstory doesn't make him sound like the nicest fellow under the sea, but he is still a giant.
  • http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/demons-of-the-bell

The Zbierać Demons wander around and search for villages. When they find one, they ring the bells on their sticks. Other Zbierać are drawn to the sound of each others bells. Once they arrive, they ring their bells two, strengthening the chime. Once they have a sizable army, they attack the village.
  • Here's my second entry, this time for the white tribe:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/xeag-diplomat
This discussion has been closed.