This is ridiculous

For some reason, we've got multiple accounts posting "discussions" that look like they're from some DIY website, or Wikipedia, or something. For obvious reasons, I'm fairly certain that the same person's behind all this, but the reason this frustrates me so much is because since they're new discussions, they're wiping away all the meaningful stuff. I'm sure the MTGcardsmith team is doing what they can, but how do we stop someone who can just keep creating new accounts and continue their horrific rampage?

Comments

• @Lujikul, I am currently in an investigation with a few other Cardsmiths. I have reason to believe that these discussions were meant to hide the original account, which I believe is planning to uses all these tiny accounts to post entries to the "Enter the Grove" contest.

I can add you if you want to join.
  • It's terribly annoying. can't just an admin delete the stuff?
  • The thing is, I need the fake accounts to use their IP adress to track whose the original.
  • @Mila, @Lujikul, do you want me to add you to the group? I can tell you what strategy me and @Viola are using to track who the original is, but I'm afraid that guy will see it if it is here.
  • They can. But it is just one after another, and nothing new or original. There are only two admins that I know of, and those would be @Corwinnn and @MTGCardsmith. For them to do this much work to get rid of this guy (or girl) is exhilarating. If I ran a website, I would not want this to happen. If it did, it would take a while to clean up. I have seen around ten new off-topic discussions in the last week. This is highly abnormal for this specific category. Something needs to be done.
  • I'm trying to track the original guy.
  • You can help too.
  • edited August 2016
    Sorry for the Inconvenience!

As we see these pop up, we will do our best to bring them down right away, but there will be times when the Spam Threads will be around longer than we would like.

Rule of Thumb

If it's not part of our forum group, don't click links.
    If you get PM's from someone trying to sell you something, let us know.

We ban these users IP address, but they are currently logging in on different IP addresses. As they run out of ways to log on, you will see a big drop off in activity of this sort.
  • @TrippleBoggey3: what are you planning to do, to track these people down? If I can help, I'm in.
  • @Corwinnn, I have reason to believe that the actual account is not even using personal devices, but possibly things like library computers and stuff.
  • It isn't "someone", it is one or more spam bots. Most of the posts have links in them that you should not click.
  • edited August 2016
    @trippleboggey ^ and i have an idea, i made another account just to check it but i think you should have to verify your email before posting to forums, that way it'd make it that much harder to make these fake accounts
  • Yup, that guy must be making more and more emails!
  • Some real hardcore sleuthing going on in this thread.
  • Alright... Who took my Scooby Snacks?
  • I know this is really bad, but I just find it enjoyable scrolling through the forums and seeing "Need help with your taxes?" haha. I apologize cause I know this is a really serious problem and I wish everyone the best for getting to the bottom of this
  • edited August 2016
    I have been getting the Ban Hammer nice and warmed up!

• I was joking. There is no "getting to the bottom of this". It is a spam bot.
  • edited August 2016
    And there we go again :(
  • Got that batch!
  • Good job :D
  • Are you sure you don't want to find out about installing air conditioning in Melbourne though ;p?
  • @Arensen - There's always that one guy in the bunch!
    XD
This discussion has been closed.