Predict the Future!

What will happen in the future?

Ch-ch-ch-change-es!

Alright, now that I've got that song stuck in your head (or even worse, it's so old you didn't recognize it, and you're staring at your screen with a confused look on your face, thinking, "What the heck is this guy rambling on about? I came here looking for a contest!"), let's get started!

Concept
I want YOU (yes, you) to predict how a certain character, race, faction, or plane will evolve in the near or far future and make a card based on that! What will Dominaria be like once it has fully recovered from the apocalypse? Will a certain dragonlord come out on top in the wars on Tarkir? Will Elspeth escape Theros' underworld, and if so, how changed will she be? What will become of Ajani, if he becomes consumed by his need for retribution against Heliod?

Rules
1. Entries must be based on something (character, faction, world, etc.) from the canon Magic the Gathering story-line/history.
2. Entries must be 'realistic' magic cards. So no 'un' cards.
3. Entries must be balanced. If you're unsure about your card, feel free to ask your fellow cardsmiths for input and support!
4. Each user is allowed two (2) entries. These entries may be changed any time before the contest's end date. If you change your card(s), please make a new post saying so.
5. Each entry must be an originally designed card for this contest, no old cards or previous creations.
6. Each entry must have the artwork with a proper credit. There may be exceptions made but using art sources that allow you to credit the creator (such as deviantart or artist websites/tumblrs) is highly suggested.

Criteria
These are the criteria that your entries will be judged on, from most important to least:

1. Creativity: I will be looking at both at creative card design and creative flavor!
2. Balance: Try to make your cards with the appropriate power level for their rarity. Of course, that's easier said than done. Like I mentioned above, don't be afraid to look to others for input and advice!
3. Grammar/Terminology: While I understand some cardsmiths are new to designing cards and some don't speak English as a first language, I will be more inclined to favor cards with proper grammar and Magic the Gathering terminology. However, as long as you don't mind, I'll let you know if I spot something so it can be fixed!
4. Aesthetic/Formatting: This is the least important section. Basically, make your cards look good! Cards that are succinct, neat, have the correct borders, and have good art will get the most points out of this section, while cards that are overcrowded, messy (such as words bleeding into the border), have incorrect borders, and have simple/unrealistic art will get the least.

Bonus Points: Write a short explanation of your card's flavor, detailing how/why the subject of your card has changed!

Example
Here's an example entry, Sengir Skystalker, just to give you a good idea of what I'm looking for!

So, here's the story to this card: As I was looking at the MTG Salvation Wiki's page on Vampires, I noticed this particular section about Sengir vampires:

"Over the centuries, the Sengir bloodline has degenerated; while they were once as attractive and human-seeming as their progenitor, Sengir vampires are now hideous, misshapen creatures with pointed ears, long claws, and feral eyes, often with visible red veins all over their bodies."

This got me thinking, "Ooh, I wonder if eventually they'll degenerate even further over time?" And that's where I got the inspiration for this contest! So, as you can see, the concept of this card is that in the future, some Sengir vampires will become so degenerated that they're little more than bloodthirsty beasts, having discarded all of their finery and even grown wings.

Prizes
The top 3 winners will win a trophy and I'll follow them if I haven't already.

1st Place will win 3 favorites of their choice and a card representing them in my Victors of Cardsmithia cycle!

2nd Place will win 2 favorites of their choice!

3rd Place will win 1 favorite of their choice!

Honorable Mentions win the elation of being noticed! Oh, and they'll be given constructive criticism on their entries.

Deadline
This contest will be closed for judging at 10:30 on September 25th. Winners will be announced within the following week.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I must give credit to @strongbelieves for the way I have structured my contest, as I have partially based the rules of this contest off of that of his Phase Alpha - Operation: Box, Contest One. I really liked the way he organized it!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.