COMBINED EFFORT - Set Megathread

edited September 2016 in Custom Card Sets
_________ INTRODUCTIONS _________

Welcome to the adventure of a lifetime!

Warriors, mages, heroes, villains, adventurers from across the land have joined in arms to bring down the most terrible foes. Cooperate with other players in groups of 2-4 to fight against a single, powerful foe. You and your party will work together using individual decks of 40 cards with no lands and a special player card (similar to a commander). With your team of players you face off against a "Keeper" who uses their own special deck and their own mighty arsenal of tools to bring down the team of players.

This thread itself will be an art dump a place for rule changes and game-play tweaks. Winners from contests, rule changes, irl playtests and more will be posted here.

(Unofficial 'CME' set symbol)

Comments

• edited October 2016
    _________ PLAYER CARDS _________

The first contest deciding the 15 starting player cards yielded these cards. The players will choose one and create a deck of 40 cards (no lands) from a pool and then attempt to defeat the keeper. Only through teamwork can the players succeed!

CONTEST THREAD

This initial round of Player-Cards feature cards from @DragonFaceEater, @Faiths_Guide, @OneBigBlueSky, and @TheFriendlyGeek

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • edited September 2016
    _________ FRAMES _________

Player cards will (in theory) use their own special frame to divide them from other normal cards in your deck. Shown below are the modified frames.

• @pewnd Wow, those card frames look amazing! How are you going to translate the already created cards to those? Are you just going to re-create them with Photoshop or something?
  • @DragonFaceEater Yes! I already converted a few, but I don't know the rules about posting non-cardsmith cards or mentioning printing (yikes) so I'm just going to say for now those are for funsies.
  • @pewnd
    Well since it's an MTGCardsmith forum, we prefer that people use the forum in conjunction with the MTGCardsmith site. MSE does have their own forum where people post their cards and sets, which might be a better place for MSE cards.
    So far it hasn't been an issue, so we haven't asked people not to do it. The problem that you run into here is that if you ask people to make their cards on something else besides MTGCardsmith, you risk alienating people from participating because not everyone can do that, but 100% of the people on MTGCardsmith can participate with MTGCardsmith cards.
    As far as printing goes...
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/news/printing-custom-mtg-tokens

• @Corwinnn Thanks! I had no intention of using these frames and symbols any time soon and I especially want the community involved. Having the cards user made is the main appeal! Appreciate that getting cleared up :)
  • I don't really know, but isn't the idea of everybody playing against someone else a lot like Arch-Enemy?
  • @KimJongMartin sort of, I find archenemy feels more like edh where everyone is just going for one player, where as the intention with this is teamwork. Comparing stuff in hands, sharing mana, tossing some blockers to teammates. General roleplay party things.
  • @pewnd That's true, actually. Anyway, really like the idea, think it's really cool, and all the 'Player' cards are awesome!
  • edited September 2016
    Testing out these new frames in Photoshop. Getting prepped for the Keeper card contest. Not sure yet how to phrase the contest itself. Should it be "based on teamwork" or "bring down multiple players"?

Note: All cards will be from the site. These alternate frames are just for funsies.

• edited September 2016
    @pewnd Wow, those look amazing! I feel like the contest for the keeper deck cards should be phrased more or less like make a card that fits in the keeper deck that can help break up a team, bring down multiple players, etc.
  • So, is this the type of card you would be looking for for the keeper deck?
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/life-drain-6
  • @DragonFaceEater It could very well be! The problem is cards that the keeper would use have to become weaker or stronger depending on the size of the party. A 4 mana single target burn would be much stronger against a 2 person team team than a 4 person team.
  • @pewnd well, doesn't the +10 life for each opponent make up for that?
  • edited September 2016
    @DragonFaceEater I don't understand where the +10 life comes from. The more players there are the less of a chance there will be multiple people tied for the most votes. It'd more likely be 3 life and like 4 damage to one player and 1 damage to the rest.

Also:

More Set Symbols! Common, Uncommon, Rare and Mythics!

imageimageimageimage
  • @pewnd Sorry, I completely misread what you said! Just forget what I said.

Those set symbols look awesome! Did you do them yourself?
  • @DragonFaceEater Yeap. The lines were done in illustrator and then I took to Photoshop to clean it up and add the gradients. For the draining ability maybe use "Council's Dilemma" from the new conspiracy set to force players to target someone. So it stacks life drain for each vote. More players, more votes.
  • Yeah. I was mostly just coming up with an example to try and clear some things up with how you wanted the cards to work (hence the bland name), so it probably won't be an entry.
  • edited October 2016
    _________ KEEPER LIBRARY _________

The second contest has started! Time to fill the keeper's deck! Working on the first adventure! No limit to colors, no limit to card types! Time to go wild! We'll see what kind of powerful tools the Keeper will have by the end of October.

CONTEST THREAD
  • edited October 2016
    Created a cycle of powerful foes the players will have to face when attempting to bring down the halls of iron. Hopefully you won't be on the receiving end of one of these monstrosities.

imageimageimageimageimage
  • wow. You are a photo shop god.
  • @Pewnd i know this is kinda late, but i was reading the photo shopped neighn, and it randomly said player at the end of its ability.
  • If I had @pewnd's photoshop ability, I would've won that set symbol contest already! Maybe it's a good thing he's been missing for a while.
  • @littledemon Oh? I must have missed it! But thanks :)

@TrippleBoggey3 Haha oops. Shoulda Coulda Woulda :P
  • "Contest Part 2 - The Keeper's Collection" has just ended!

Many great entries and judging will be soon! In the meantime there will be a break before the next contest starts (more than 80 submissions to the last one) but in the mean time look forward to a non-Collective Effort lore contest like my last one.

@everyone You guys are all amazing as usual :)
This discussion has been closed.