Unbound Realms - SET MEGATHREAD - We're looking for collaborators!

edited November 2016 in Custom Card Sets

Welcome, planeswalkers, to the plane of Arqum - a world where much lays undiscovered. Thus, each of the five greatest cities - Ravenscar, Gorian, Elaniad, Lanalia, and Anubrair - sends out their own group of exepitionists to discover the rest of the world.

The plane of Arqum itself is strange - all civilised creatures, and even most uncivilised, lock their gates at night and don't dare travel outside, to the wilderness. Their leaders, however, realise it is necessary, and so this great event begins. YOU must find your way across the treacherous land, and YOU must prevail or else risk certain death.

--Since Primordium, I've been yearning to start another collaboration set. This collaboration set introduces a whole new format: Unbound Realms.--

How do you play this new form of magic, you ask? Exactly the same...Apart from combat.

At the start of the game, you have your own Legendary realm card. You put this card in front of you, then make a 6 x 6 grid of realm cards - all face-down. Play normally until combat. THERE IS NO LIFE!!!! The first person to win is the first person to reach of their opponent's realms.

During combat, instead of attacking a player, you move forward onto the board, onto a face down realm card. Turn this card face up. It may have an effect. You can only attack with one creature each turn, and choose to either move a creature onto the board, or move a creature on the board to any card adjacent to it - turn the card it lands on face-up.

Continue play until two creatures controlled by different players are adjacent to each other. These 'fight' in normal magic - this is combat.

When a player has reached each of your opponent's realms, and then got back to their own, they win.

I'd like to play this format with friends + family, as well as on Untap.in (if that's possible). Thus, I'm looking for 2-4 people to help - although there can be more. If you want, I'll just give you the password, and you can make a couple of cards.

This is an example realm:

I will also follow everybody who joins.

Comments

• edited November 2016
    I almost forgot! There are five 'starter decks' each coming with everything you need to play. Each of the cities is based in one color, and you may have any other color in the deck with it; only one, however. The cards for the cities are:

image image image image image

Each deck comes with three legendary realms, and 18 normal realms, as well as a pre-built deck, with many exclusive cards to this format.

Tell me if there's anything you're confused/unsure about!
  • If there's "no life" how does The Smoldering Hills work?
  • edited November 2016
    UK, I assumed as much :P
  • edited November 2016
    you should fix the bottom reminder text on the mana it should be
    ( {t}: Add {add_color_here} to your mana pool.)
    and put it at the top. Try to base your future lands like that. My example comes from murmuring bosk: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=420925

Also Anubriar's mulligan effect is worded very oddly. It should be something like this: "Any time you could mulligan and Anubriar, Realm of the Kraken is in your hand, you may shuffle your hand back into your library, then scry 4, then draw four cards."

Another thing I need to mention is that Ravernscar's ability is not usable since the realms start face down. In all honesty I feel you need to go back and rethink this idea. Its a nice idea, don't get me wrong, but I feel that there could be more thought to this than you initially gave.
  • It wasn't wrong, this was just badly written, badly explained, badly...Everything. This is what happens, kids, and WOTC, when you design a format at 2 am.

Let's just forget this abomination ever existed and close this discussion.
This discussion has been closed.