Dragon's Maze Discussion Thread

As you've seen, I have several threads concerning the Dragon's Maze project:

Contest: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/2410/design-the-dragon-s-maze-maze-2#latest
Mini Maps: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/2189/dragon-s-maze-rpg-mini-maps#latest
Rules and Vault: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/2376/dragon-s-maze-the-vault#latest

This is just a thread for your questions, comments, and concerns! Thanks everyone!

Comments

• I have a question: why do you keep on making threads on the Dragon's Maze?
  • @KimJongMartin, To make things easier.
  • @DragonFaceEater, This is the discussion thread.
  • @TrippleBoggey3 Sorry, I didn't know about this!
  • @TrippleBoggey3 So, about how many creatures should i put in the rooms? Also, can I put artifacts and enchantments in?
  • @DragonFaceEater, That is all your choice. 2 for a small room, and up to 10 for a large room. But if its like a room with 20 1/1s, I wouldnt care. Oh, and Artifacts and Enchantments are allowed.
  • It seems very fun to try to create odd challenges that you would never encounter with randomly drawn cards. I've created my first set, and I'm excited to make more!
  • Just wondering: do artifacts and enchantments also give gold and XP like creatures?
  • @DragonFaceEater, With your rules proposal, I will add them and change in update 1.3, coming tonight.
  • @camick

Please post your review here. And what do you mean about "missing"?
  • For what?
    Not seeing Emrakul or what
  • @Camick
    @KJMartin
    @DragonFaceEater

I need your help with lore.

See, the point was I was going to write an adventure for one of the dungeons. My idea was that the dungeon was a quest sent by someone in some house in Northgate. But that leads to a few lore questions:

1. How does the main character start with the quest, I didn't like the old one. Shall we do like a dying friend seeks him in his house, or he receives a letter, or what? And how does that tie in with the main quest, to slay the Dragon in the Dragon's Maze

2. Where does he start? Does he start in Northgate, an outside village, a prison, or what?

3. What is the plane like in the first place with its government and stuff?

I need your brainstorming ideas.
  • How about the Mayor or King or Noble or Lord or whatever of Northgate seeks him about, because his brother (or some kind of other relation) went missing in the maze, and the mayor suspects the dragon may have killed him? How about the mayor says something along the lines of, "You are not a rich man,____________. But the dragon surely is. Slay him, and find my brother, and you will have all the wealth you will ever need. And, for once in your life, you will come back respected, which is the thing you want most."

How about he's just a travelling nomad who comes across Northgate? A sword for hire who seeks rest?

The plane in the 'first place' By this I suppose you're meaning the plane where Northgate is? doesn't have to be mentioned very much, or go into great detail. How about it's just a medieval world, with a feudal-system like method of government? That way it could be interesting how baffled the adventurer is by the size and scale of Ravnica.

• @TrippleBoggey3

1. Maybe they hear whoever slays the dragon in the dragon's maze gain's infinite knowledge or something (it doesn't have to be true), and they go to the shopkeeper to gear up, but he tells them that the people who have gone to the dragon's maze have never come back, and most had better gear than what they're buying, so he tells them that he would give them a bunch of gold if they could go into one of the other dungeons and save his son that went in there looking for new gear for the shop, and there is also a bunch of good loot in there too.

2. I think an interesting storytelling route would for them to be deserters from their army, or escaped war prisoners, and there could be some random encounters whenever they're traveling to see some soldiers traveling for the war, and have to talk their way out of being captured back. Plus, having a war going on would make the world seem a lot more real, with things going on bigger than them.

3. I'd say the classic mideval king-and-queen type of government with peasants and nobles, but if you wanted to pay a lot of attention to the government and make it very interesting, it could be a barbarian-type of government, where there's an 'alpha' and you can challenge him to take the throne, and there could be thugs traveling around the city and stuff like that.
  • 1. Maybe we simply have a your character see a noticeboard with the quest on it.

2. Northgate, although a fall trap could be a good way to introduce the first dungeon (Lost Caves of the Golgari).

3. Just have the 10 guilds feuding...
  • @Camick, @DragonFaceEater, @KJMartin

Well, I meant other things. I don't think you guys understood me correctly.

Who is the main character? What makes him so special? Why is he able to slay the dragon?

What is the Dragon's Maze? Is it like the labyrinth on Crete? What is it's history? How did it get there?

What is the name of the plane? What is the plane like?

Also, I'll just let you know, as for the story line, I'm gonna have most smaller dungeons be side quests, with one main quest, which will be a chain of smaller ones leading up to destroying the dragon's maze.

But also... Storywise, is the Dragon's Maze the intention of the hero? Like, is the hero's end goal just to slay the dragon, or will slaying the dragon do other things for him? Or is the Dragon's Maze just a background for the true story, like most books?
  • @TrippleBoggey3 The way you said it was very confusing...

The character doesn't have to anything special about him. Lots of stories have a normal character as the main person, with no special skill, apart from maybe a good sword and a quick mind.

You can find the answer to your second question here.

And what plane are you talking about? The Dragon's Maze - or Implicit Maze - is on Ravnica...?
  • @TrippleBoggey3
    I agree with @KJMartin, the main character shouldn't have anything special about him, I mean, it's a fantasy world, so everybody's a little special with magic and such.

I always thought the dragon's maze would be a lot like the labyrinth, with winding passageways, dead ends, traps and monsters, and the Minotaur, or in this case, dragon, in the middle.

Isn't the dragon's maze on Ravnica?
  • @KJMartin, @DragonFaceEater

I forgot about Ravnica :P

Well, okay, I'm gonna start the writing...
  • Bump dis crap up!
  • edited January 2017
    Dragon's Maze Board

God of the Dragon's Maze: @Corwinnn/@mtgcardsmith

King of the Dragon's Maze: @TrippleBoggey3
    Queen of the Dragon's Maze: N/A (Not even a girlfriend)
    Prime Minister of the Dragon's Maze: @KJMartin
    Master of the Maze: @DragonFaceEater
    Official Maze-Tester: @Camick
    Scribe of the Dragon's Maze: To come out soon.
    Board of Advisors: @Lujikul, @Racnoss900, @Gryphon1114
  • Well, advising's pretty much the only thing I'm consistently able to do, so that makes sense.
  • @DragonFaceEater
    As Prime Minister of the maze: 'You're fired.'
  • @KJMartin Well, I'm taking my rooms with me! *Gets a bunch of leashes out of my pocket and attempts to leash the giant tree monsters and spirits*
  • @DragonFaceEater
    'Bodyguards!'
    *Two enormous treefolk come out of nowhere with black suits and sunglasses on*
  • @KJMartin
    *Shouting as being carried away*
    Those rooms belong to me! I have rights! You can't do this!
    *As doors are closing*
    You'll be hearing from my lawyer!
  • @TrippleBoggey3 How can I earn a promotion into proper leadership?
  • Considering I'm the prime minister and don't believe there should be a king, I'm agonna attack parliament and start a war (like the British civil war).
This discussion has been closed.