MTG Questions

edited December 2016 in Off-topic Chat
Hello all, I have some (not so) general questions about Magic: The Gathering

1): Is it possible to add Phyrexian Mana to your mana pool? If so, how would it work? Does Phyrexian Mana count towards devotion to a color?

2): How precisely does the standard foiling process of M15 cards work? What causes it to bend when exposed to open air? Because foil cards I own are bending naturally when exposed to the air, even when placed in a nice sleeve, I am trying to protect my precious cards! Chemical formulae/reactions okay, even preferred.

3): How would I word the reminder text of "Restart the turn"?

4): Does tapping a land for mana put the ability on the stack?

5): What year and set were multicolored cards introduced to MtG?

Thanks for looking, and an extra thank you if you give an answer!

Comments

• edited December 2016
    1. No, it is not possible to add Phyrexian Mana to your mana pool as it represents an alternative cost to cast the spell rather than actual mana (just like you can't at {1} to your mana pool, you have to add {c} and how hybrid mana can't be added to your mana pool). Of course, if you were interested in devising a way to add Phyrexian Mana to your mana pool and clarify what that means with reminder text, go on ahead and I can giver you my opinions.
    2. No idea on that one, dude, I have the same problem. I tend to find those hard top-loaders, binders, and normal card storage boxes help to prevent foils from bending.
    3. If you mean undo the actions of everything and start again, it would be something under the lines of (Each player returns all cards that were put into the graveyard, exile, or into a player's hand this turn into the zone they were in at the end of the last turn. Each player's life total becomes equal to their life total at the end of the last turn. Return all permanents that were not on the battlefield at the end of the last turn to their owner's hands. Remove all damage from all creatures on the battlefield. Then, each player shuffles a number of cards from their hands into their libraries equal to the number of cards in their hand minus the number of cards that were in his or her hand at the end of the last turn and taps all untapped permanents that were tapped at the end of the last turn. The current phase ends and there is an additional untap step, followed by an additional draw step, followed by an additional upkeep step, followed by an additional precombat main phase, followed by an additional combat phase, followed by an additional postcombat main phase, followed by an additional end step.) which is horrifically long. If you just intended for the phases to start over, it would be more like (The current phase ends and there is an additional untap step, followed by an additional draw step, followed by an additional upkeep step, followed by an additional precombat main phase, followed by an additional combat phase, followed by an additional postcombat main phase, followed by an additional end step.)
    4. Abilities that tap for mana do not go on the stack and cannot be responded to. A spell that creates mana, however, can still be responded to.
    5. June of 1994, in Legends.
  • edited December 2016
    Almost all your answers can be found in the Mtg Salvation Wiki,

1) No. The game does not actually refer to Phyrexian mana as that, it refers to "Phyrexian mana symbols", that is, they are special mana costs, not actual mana.

2) Here's a video on it. TL;DR: Cardboard is wood and absorbs water, but the foil side is waterproof, so the card does not absorb humidity evenly. The water causes the cardboard to expand unevenly, causing a warp. To prevent it, use card sleeves and keep packets of desiccants wherever you keep your cards.

There is no chemical reaction for me to describe, as it is not a chemical process. It is a physical one.

3) Karn Liberated does not have reminder text for restarting the game on the card, but rather has specific instructions in the rulings area. I suggest you do the same.

4) No. Mana abilities do not use the stack.

5) June 1994, Legends,
  • Thanks, @Arceus8523! When I mean "restarting the turn", I mean "redo the turn." Do you have any ideas how I can express this?
  • @Gelectrode : I strongly recommend you don't force players to undo everything they did in a turn because that sounds like a logistical nightmare.
  • @ShadowKnight1224, I am literally a logistical nightmare. Just like any Izzet Mage would do, I want to try it out "just to see what happens."
  • @Gelectrode: the problem is that Mark Rosewater has mentioned time and again that forcing players to keep track of things should be done as sparingly as possible, because of the limited mindspace people have to keep track of all the different things going on in a game. Now imagine having to keep track of everything everyone does in a turn, every turn, in case a player runs a "restart the turn" card. It's an incredibly high usage of brainpower for little to no gain.
This discussion has been closed.