Official MTGAER Contest: 2017, Year of the Fire Rooster

Comments

• @Swegboss12 it is a theme of the rooster thing.
  • @TheBombination
    Has to be a Legendary Creature.
  • Here is my entry:
  • http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/edrexion-the-dark-hero

Some of his backstory is posted as flavor text in my card. Born as the son of the Village Chief, Edrexion was expected to be strong. However at birth, he was born weak and feeble. Like all Lizard Chieftains, he desired power and unquestioned control over his fellows. However, the other Lizardmen disdained him as a puny weakling.
    Realizing he would never amount to a chief, Edrexion decided to gain power in another way. Using his impressive charisma, he slowly gained control of a band of warriors, who hated the current order. Edrexion built himself the aura of the unquestioned leader of these so called "Dark Heroes", always seeking to expand his army. Many of the greatest heroes in the land came to serve under this awe-inspiring general, never knowing his physical weaknesses.
  • edited January 2017

My submission. Note that the generals will not only punish those that didn't attack with them, but also those that attack without them... they really are aggressive. The source for the art is noted in the card comments.
  • edited January 2017
    I've been sitting on this for a long time, so here goes....

Jiar was born at the heart of one of the fiercest battles on the plane of Valla (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Valla) when two opposing mages' spells went awry simultaneously. In the center of the massive explosion which followed, Jiar was formed from the fusing energy. He embodies all of the violent, warlike tendencies of his plane and quickly found a home in the hearts of the humans of Valla. He grew battle by battle, finally becoming one of the most powerful entities of the plane. Wherever there is more hero-worship, he will go, leaving destruction in his wake. However, while he is popular amongst the violent warlords of his plane, he is also volatile. Any insult to his sovereignty could quickly end in death for one or both parties.
  • My Submission

I'll add lore later.
  • edited January 2017
    My contest enty: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lesha-the-awakened

A white creature, she is a human bitten by a vampire who broke free of the darkness! So now she wants to save everyone else. So she's a religious leader, as well as a rebel, with a cult following.

BTW how do I add her to the official list?
  • http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mckenna-grave-sorceress-1

Mckenna is a commander for those who love graveyard shenanigans.
  • Here is my entry, and can't wait to see the winning cards! Good luck to you all!

Kamala is natively born on Theros, and has gained a reputation as one of the most skillful and ruthless warriors. She loves to go out in the wild and put an end to any of the biggest and most threatening creatures she can find, taking their heads as proof of her work. Rumor says that she has been given Nylea's blessing, and sometimes is even accompanied by her on her own hunting expeditions! Whether this is true or not, Kamala has made up countless stories of herself and Nylea going head to head in competition, trying to slay the largest, most abominably foul creatures they can. Anyone else who does not happen to be a divine being though, such as Nylea, best stay away from her while she is tracking, or she might turn upon you in the buzz of the hunt!

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kamala-theros-beast-slayer
  • edited January 2017
    My entry. http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/one-rad-rooster

This rooster is ready to hang ten right into the new year. Cowabunga!
  • If only we had a rooster counter! That is a lot of cock(iness) in the competition.

Yay, I made a vulgar joke! Lol XD
  • @modnation675 - We had one, but we had to put it down.
    XD
  • @ostewart - Please don't sit on the Ever-Growing Flame for extended periods of time.
    XD
  • Here is my entry:

Yes, her name is supposed to be german, because she is a NPC in one of my Pen&Paper-Groups, and there she has this name. I thought her character would fit this contest perfectly, so I tried to convert her into a MTG-Card. This is the result:

• edited January 2017

So... where to begin with this one...

Part major character for my set, part contest entry, part card based on a heavy metal song, and part OH MY GOD IS THAT A BURNING ANGEL?! What could possibly go wrong?

So, the most white part about this card is being an angel, and I know trample isn't white. But sparing this very minor discrepancy, this is a very nice card. For seven mana, you get a 6/6 black, white, and red angel with flying, trample, and haste, and judging by this, I'd call fair fair. The best part is being able to redirect Vulcan's combat damage when dealing directly to a player, which makes her a tad harder to block strategically.

As for the flavor, I think she fits perfectly. The first thing that attracts attention to her is that she's an angel that's on fire (joking, though red and black angels do raise some hairs). Second, she has haste, flying, and trample, three words you never want to hear, let alone in the same sentence. Third, her last ability is certainly unique. I haven't seen anything like this done, and WOTC certainly hasn't done it.
  • I don't think my card has processed yet. How long before it is added to the contest page?
  • Hope this entry does well. ;D
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/preview?img=1485381200201998&t=722373

Here's the story:
    Jorgen started his career as a fisherman who loaned his ship to the frequent raids on the southern nations. Eventually, a ship didn't come back. The next time he loaned his ship, Jorgen decided to come with the crew, making sure nothing happened to his new ship. That particular raid was a catastrophe. First, on the voyage, was a tempest. Once the crew landed, bedraggled, and with a damaged ship, they needed to trek another ten miles to reach their target. Once at their destination, the crew was dismayed to say the least at the large host of armed men at the gates, preparing to march on the northern clans. Once the battle commenced, the raiders seemed to be losing ground. Once it was down to the last fifteen or twenty men, Jorgen decided that now was a good time to go to Valhalla. So, he lead the charge, and single-handedly inspired the raiders to break the defenders line, and in doing so, break their moral. When Jorgen returned, one of the survivors, who happened to be a warrior-poet, wrote a song, that became very popular. After a while, it became "Oh, are you the Jorgen in the story?" And Jorgen would respond "Yes I am." Jorgen would the go on every raid he could, and would always come back unscathed.
  • Before I submit can someone please tell me how to post the PIC of my card instead of just the link?

According to Alexander Neckam's De naturis rerum (ca 1180), the cockatrice was the product of an egg laid by a a male chicken and incubated by a toad; a snake might be substituted in re-tellings.

It has the reputed ability to kill people by either looking at them—"the death-darting eye of Cockatrice"—touching them, or sometimes breathing on them.

As you see, a Cockatrice is a direct offspring of (only) a rooster.
    (I was the first contestant to publish a Cockatrice, albeit not the first to submit.)
    The subtype will certainly remain Cockatrice (as WotC needs a fourth by this point XD, I am genuinely surprised they've made so few). The other great thing about a Cockatrice is how amazingly well it fits, flavorwise, into the contest and into the mechanics we're tinkering with here.

Up until now, the Cockatrice have been in only Sultai colors. But that isn't saying much when there are only three. It seems to me that they could (and perhaps should) be treated like dragons with base colors of green/black instead of red. In other words, any color can work as long as there is a way to "flavorfully" include deathtouch.

Crowing [by definition] -
    "(rooster) utter its characteristic loud cry."
    "(person) make a sound expressing a feeling of happiness or triumph."
    "Say something in a tone of gloating satisfaction."

(Yes, I love all the definitions here!)

Corool constantly runs at his opposition, confidant in the belief that he'll be able to connect with the face of the rival captain. Corool is definitely sentient, to an extent at any rate, and is willfully making himself as big of a disturbance as possible. Immediately after a successful assault he begins to crow about his triumph and challenges anyone and everyone beneath that unfortunate fool's control to a duel. So sure of himself is he, that Corool assumes that he'll beat whichever idiot dares except his challenge. He's right, to an extent, as most will die from a mere gaze or touch, but in many cases he too will fall in combat. Pride goeth before a... etc.

Corool's design is to show him as a dominant and conceited creature, both vain and boastful, who wants nothing more than to be recognized and feared (sound familiar).

[ I'm super pleased with the way the community has responded thus far, especially other contestants! I've received help from a lot of other smiths and I encourage everyone to solicit the same as we move forward! Good luck to you all, @Contestants! ]
  • @Tommia
    Um, Vulcan is a guy. He's the Roman form of Hephaestus, the Greek god of forges and craftsmanship.
  • @yousmelllikeapumpkin

Reading too much Percy Jackson?
This discussion has been closed.