Pride of Kamigawa

edited February 2017 in Custom Card Sets
I really love Japanese culture and costumes, so I’m really sad I wasn’t in MTG when Kamigawa came around. Unfortunately, the block was not very successful and MaRo has given the plane an 8 on the Rabiah scale (meaning we won’t be getting back to it so soon, if ever).
So I decided I will build my own “Return to Kamigawa” block. It’s a block, so it will have story and cards.
Since it’s Japan inspired, I want to explore the conflict between traditional and new costumes, one of the main characteristics of the country nowadays. I think it would bring an additional depth to an already divided plane.
I hope I can keep up with this project and that you will enjoy it!
The cards can be found here:
http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/fepiera/sets/18132

I will be posting lore and story information to Tumblr, since I think it's the more appropriate audience for that content, but if you're interested check out:
http://kamigawa2.tumblr.com

Cheers!

Comments

• edited February 2017
    We have a first card in the set!
    lol, this was the card that sparked all of this, it was developed for the "Year of the Fire Rooster" challenge, but it still deserves a post here:

Matsuri will be one of the three new mechanics in the set
  • Just FYI, your link doesn't work.
    I'm supposing you meant this: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/fepiera/sets/18132
  • i want to join this but ive been lacking inspiration the past couple weeks. maybe it will come back this weekend when i have more free time..
  • I haven't posted here in a while, but I have not forgotten the project.
    So... I have decided I will have a multicolor block, focusing mainly on shards. The main archetypes will be focused on ally colors with:

W U Matsuri the mechanic in the face card previously psted and using: "you control permanents of at least three different colors"

U B Ninjas pretty straight forward

B R Progression this mechanic will be all about aggression (it will be the rebellion mechanic on the story) and focuses on "the number of spells you cast this turn"

R G Ramp also straight forward

G W Tradition this is a mechanic focusing on "the number of cards named CARDNAME in your graveyard"... It will be the opposing mechanic to progression

We will have some secondary support to enemy colors in the following archetypes:

B G Sacrifice
    B W Life loss/gain
    U R Spells
    U G Snakes
    W R Samurai
  • edited April 2017
    Here's the second card in the set:
  • edited April 2017
    This looks pretty neat so far. I like the Matsuri mechanic especially, and would like to offer up a few of my own cards that I think could fit the theme pretty well:

Edit: Increased mana cost and toughness by 1 each, I couldn't think of any flavour text that would fit on the end of the card for this one however.
    Edit Edit: Ability text now much neater.

Edit: Used the story of Carp leaping over the Dragon's Gate for this card. I think it fits the ability of giving the fish flying.
  • I'll make some more but I figured I'll give you what I already have that may be fitting.

• imageimageimageimageimage

And here are some basics (island and swamp are still to be determined):
    imageimageimage
  • Hello, everyone! Wow! Thanks for all the input and great suggesions! I will get back to each of you individually....
    Starting with...
    @Cybernekit ,
    The idea of having multiple color koi is flavorful AND mechanically awesome... Great job!
    I am working right now in the uncommon cycle of cards that will be the driver/reward for playing each of the 5 ally color pair archetypes. Can I use the koi and your cards as inspiration for the Matsuri one?
    About the cards... The wording on them is a little bit off, so we'll need to work it out...
    1st. Instead of "put onto the battlefield", Magic is using "create" right now. check out any token generating cards in KLD/AER/AKH to see the correct wording.
    2nd. "Color" instead of "colour"
    3rd. Use the Kamigawa symbol on them, so I can add them to the set. I messed up in the "Whisper of Power", I'll fix it...
    4th. Guardian: I really like it. I think we could make it more of a "guardian" by giving he koi protection of a color of your choice until end of turn, or hexproof. We'll have to adjust the cost... Maybe she could be the Matsuri uncommon, but, in that case, make her white and blue and make the second ability a trigger on having Matsuri. Let me know how you want to handle it.
    5th. Herder: I don't like giving them haste... Maybe a more blue ability like flying would be better (She could turn them to flying fish) or possibly skulk... I wouldn't be against vigilance either (since matsuri will also be in white)... Also, I believe giving only fish the ability would be more flavorful...
    6th. Flavor... We could add some flavor text to them... Let me know if you want any suggestions.
  • @Fepiera Appreciate the plentiful feedback! I'll be quite happy to change up my suggestions to fit the theme for you. These ones were just misc. cards I made a little while ago because I liked the art, so seeing them get used is wonderful. I'll update my post up there when I've made adjustments to the cards.
  • @Decaldor
    I don't understand how this card works... If you Ninjutsu it, it's 4 mana for 1 damage and retrning two creatures to your hand. If you don't, it's a 1/4 deathtouch blocker for 3 mana...
  • edited April 2017
    @Cybernekit , thank you so much! They are awesome!!!

Just a minor correction still needed for the Guardian:
    Matsuri - At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control permanents of at least three different colors, Fish you control gain protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
    Sorry for being so nit picky on your cards....
  • Here's the token for the Merfolk:
  • edited April 2017
    Here are two cards, you might like. Feel free to remake them or to add them to your set, if you have premium membership:

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/battledancer-samurai-1?list=set&set=11666
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bloodseeking-swordsman?list=set&set=11666
This discussion has been closed.