Trying to bring alternate templates to MTGCardsmith: First test

Hello everyone =D

You know every set has a mechanic that requires an alternate card template which will make this set feels extra-special (Miracles, enchantment-creatures, face-down cards, devoid cards, double-faced cards, vehicles,...)

imageimage
imageimage

I'm currently trying to find a way for bringing an alternate card template on MTGCardsmith. As you obviously can't change the card template itself, I'm trying to bring an extra layer on the art itself to see if I can make it feel like a special card template.

Here's what it looks like so far:

I need your opinion on this: What do you think of the visual concept? Does it feel like a special type of card? What do you think of the colours? Does it feel too Hearthstone-y? What would you change?

Any input would help! I'm at a very early stage of this concept so everything is possible ^^

Thanks for reading this! Have a good day =D

Comments

• It looks really cool! It's true that I would need to see more Relics to understand what's going on in the art, but I'm very fond of how it looks like.
  • edited February 2017
    @Flatfish I... am not sure myself what's going on XD It's true it doesn't feel very artifact-y, I probably need to find an object that goes well with the planeswalker... Thanks for the feedback =D
  • edited February 2017
    @Flatfish : Ok, let's say Relics are objects that contain a fragment of the powers of a planeswalker. Basically, one ability you would normally found on a planeswalker card of that character.

Here's two more examples to get a more consistent feel of the template (and mechanic):

• Too hearthstone like. Other than that, it's fine.

How'd you make this template in the first place? Photoshop?
  • @TrippleBoggey3 Yes, I use Photoshop and a Hearthstone card back tilted at 90° XD

Thanks for feedback! =D
  • @ningyounk
    While I think you've done an amazing job, definitely to Hearthstone-y for me. Also, I don't really like the "loss of art" required to fit that template in there.

In short, this is not something I like. But great job anyway!
  • edited February 2017
    @Faiths_Guide Very interesting feedback, thanks! I'm thinking of a way to make it feel more Magic-y ^^

I'm trying new things but I think I'm going to think about it a little more to get to something more concluant ^^

imageimage
  • Th he thing that bothers me about both of those is the loss of art. And the original is to hearthstoney.
  • Here's two additional one:

On the first one, I keep the Hearstone feel but I removed the first outer layer of frame while opening inside the arabesques so you kinda see the art through the frame.

On the second one (two versions: blue or gold), I completely remove the inner frame as well which, I think, considerably reduce the Hearthstone feel (but I could work something out to make it look less cartoon-y).

imageimageimage
  • The second one really feels like a different type of card border, in all.honesty.
  • edited February 2017
    @Lujikul The second one? Great, that's exactly what I'm trying to do XD I'm gonna try to iterate on this one then ^^ Thanks for feedback! =D
  • The second one looks really cool.
  • These are very cool, awesome work @ningyounk!
  • @Flatfish @mtgcardsmith Thanks! =) I think I'm slowly getting somewhere thanks to all this feedback! :D
  • The silvery one looks better than the gold IMO.
  • I am with all the others. The second version looks the best because the silvery versions color fits the color of the border best. In golden it looks more like part of the artwork.
  • @Faiths_Guide @Mila Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, you're super nice! =D There seems to be a consensus on the silvery one with no central frame, so I'll try to see if I can iterate on this one :) I want to see how it looks if I embed some jewels in the corners for a touch of colour ^^
  • @ningyounk
    Maybe the jewels should fluctuate based on the cards thematic color.

• Yes I was thinking something similar! ^^ Thanks a lot for the art that actually really helps by the way! :D
  • First two attempts at bringing a slight touch of colour ^^ The second one turned out horrible I think but it's mostly because I messed up the lights and the colour is too dark :/ I'll try again later once I've understood how light is supposed to work on these things XD

This discussion has been closed.