Worldbuilder #3 - Flint, a Colonial City

Comments

• Area:Pardwright University
    Focus: Dariad's way of working around the natives

Plot:Dariad is planing what he can do to get rid of all things standing in his way, this includes the natives.

The native's tactician and sister to the champion, Tivi, was an easy way to get the native's off his back without using force, YET.

"I can't believe I'm working with an annoying brat child" bemoaned Dariad

"Who are you calling a child" responded Tivi

"Enough, are you going to help me get control of Flint?" Threatened Dariad

"Or your're entire people and culture will be eliminated and that stupid friendly missionary can't do anything to save it"

Tivi paused, his words echoed in her mind. Eliminate us? The natives? w-why.....

"What do you want." stubbornly said Tivi

"The tactician of the native's? You can't be serious." smirked Dariad

"I want your help"

"With what" responded Tivi

"I said this before... now why don't you be a good girl and help me gain control of this failing colony once and for all"

"I'm listening" said Tivi

"With the support of the natives I can cause a distraction and gain control of the city!" joyfully said Dariad

"What's in it for us?" questioned Tivi

"I will not sell my people to possible death that easily."

"If I do gain control of the city, I'll give your people some land and maybe something a little something else...just you wait, it'll be grand." beckoned Dariad

"Fine, but if you are to lie, you will not avoid the grave waiting for you."
  • edited March 2017

The natives, those who live closer to the city have dabbled in the colonists' way of life. Those who have not left their traditions, but have more openly welcomed the differences in culture have decided to opt for Dariad's offer over impending war.

• It's sad to see this challenge not get as much love as the last one! :(
  • edited March 2017
    @modnation675 Don't be sad! Even if it doesn't pick up (and it certainly has every ability to do so since it's such a cool idea) I still think it's a fun contest. I'm just patiently waiting for an idea I like. :)
  • edited March 2017
    Well, we feel a bit better all things considered since at least the last one did well! :)
  • Area: The outskirts of town, near Pine Island (at night, by the way)
    Focus: Let's just say he's a very angry dragon.

Story: The street guard shimmered, looked up in horror, then was blasted to pieces. Three more guards were killed this way, the sound of their popping heads (and everything else) enough to rattle nearby doors and startle nearby pets. Rhuell, last of his bloodline, looked up at the night sky.
    "I shall not disappoint you, father"
    A long, loud horn blasted in the distance.
    The knights of Flint were coming.
    All of a sudden, a dozen arrows shot right past him, as a dozen more came hurtling forward. The second wave, although accurate, bounced right off of his metallic hide.
    "It's like these fools have never seen a dragon before"
    Rhuell jumped up in the air and shot an energy pulse out from his staff. Some knights simply fled the scene, others were obliterated on touch. Four more pulses amounted to twenty more dead. Those that remained ran to a nearby bastion near the west bank. Thinking himself successful, Rhuell razed what remained of the neighborhood and flew away.

Note-This Rhuell is the great "grandson" of the Elder Dragon Chromium Rhuell, just to let people know.

Also Note-The Elder Dragons were the ones to create EVERY SINGLE viashino, drake, wurm, or lesser dragon in the entire multiverse.
  • edited March 2017
    Huh, is really no one gonna respond?
  • I haven't gotten any flashes of inspiration, but when I do......
  • I'm too lazy to read the entire thing and get started :P
  • edited March 2017
    I don't know about this one really. I find it a lot harder to get inspired by this story to create cards unlike the last Worldbuilder.

Rather than continuing the story, I might just create settings and filler cards like last time.
  • Area: Just outside the Central district
    Focus: nothing is what it seems

The message was clear, he had to come alone and there was no arguing about it. He had so many plans up his sleeves, he wanted to have more control and knock that blasted governor down a peg or two, but now he regretted the deal he had made.

He was right, everyone feared something and he, Dariad the man who usually relished in the fear others had, was now shivering as he awaited the arrival of his contact.

Dealing with assassins and other bad folk was hardly comparable to this thing he foolishly bargained with.

"The smell of your fear is so enticing," A deep, ghoulish voice came from beyond the shadows surrounding Dariad. "You seem to have performed well, for that I must commend you."

A chuckle escaped from Darian's lips, a nervous and almost croaking sound which betrayed how the usually arrogant and confident man felt in his current position.

"Many things are happening, the child of the governor and her companion have gone through quite a few troubles along the way. I suggest you use the natives as much to your advantage as you can and in the meantime I think I might stir up some emotions among those poor merfolk."

The ghoulish voice seemed to laugh silently, before letting out what seemed to be a sigh of relief and amusement. "So many things to do, so much pawns to place on and across the board. This will be fun..."
  • Yeah, I couldn't since I was busy and can't do anything until tomorrow.

Also, it seems the issue is the map of all things due to the lack of non-city or non-residential areas. The other was quite a large one and the original worldbuilder map was quite good to!

• edited March 2017
    @modnation675
    If someone else wants me to, I could make a quick sketch of the written world in M.S. paint, but that one might have to be looked at by the creator of this challenge before actually being posted.
  • @modnation, @Undella2, @Shadikal, I think the problem is that we have so many moving parts, and everybody keeps making new ones. We have Torq, Darius, Darius' assassin, Darius' mysterious master, the natives, the merfolk planning to collapse Torq's Bridge, Ivana and Derrick, the orc kid out for revenge, the missionary, and Rhuell. Somebody needs to somehow connect them all, or at least a lot of them. Since we have to go off of the last post, once one character/concept is left behind, it's hard to get back to them.
    Despite this, I think that this is a great Worldbuilder (my favorite was the original), and has a cool story; we just need to clean it up.
  • @MagicChess
    Hm... I guess I may or may not try to tie at least a few of the characters/plots together later on. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow...
    But first I need to make that map, for the sake of everyone here.
  • @MagicChess , @modnation675 , @Undella2 , the reason why I pointed out towards this "mysterious" master was precisely to bind the story into something cohesive. Dariad's mysterious master basically already glues the entirity...
  • Yeah, I like the story. I just think that we're missing as few of the pieces having closer ties similar to Sivant's family and rivalries! from the other worldbuilder.
  • edited March 2017
    @MagicChess

I understand that. The one issue with World Building is that so many people can create so many loose ends to a story. That's why I created those filler cards to begin with in the last Builder. It was to deepen the universe rather than expand it. Though I do admit they didn't really tie anything together.

Though, the Natives and Dariad are being tied together through Tivi and Pardwright University.
  • edited April 2017
    @Shadikal
    I'll admit they gave us something cool to look at though. I'm not sure how we're gonna tie the story together. But we'll work on something later after we manage the dice roll challenges.
  • @modnation675 Thank you.

Also, good luck. I might just start making cards left right and center until I hit something good.
  • sidenote: PbP rpg is my biggest past time next to apparently these days mtg again (been a while xD)
  • @Credius
    Feels like something we should get into sometime! :)
  • edited March 2017
    @modnation675, @Credius, @Shaikal, @Undella2

Hold up.... ::Racks brains::

Uh...................

AHA! I have an idea for a new card to tie some stuff together. Gimme a sec.
  • edited March 2017
    Cool, I just know we have a habit of entering Angels since we have two sets of Angels. XD
  • *points at Eerie Presence... seriously want to expand on that and tie stuff together to get this story on the road xD
  • edited March 2017
    Hopefully you do, as we'll try to as well. We just need to re-read over the posts and finish giving out prizes for our challenges/contests.
  • Area: I think it's self-explanatory.
    Focus: Tension, tying stuff together.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/flint-tenacious-colony

(When I saw this image, I though, "That's Flint."...... Even though I had to photoshop spaceships out of the sky :P).

Governor Torq sat in his study, head in his hands. Things are falling out of my control, he thought.
    His forces were stretched thin, fighting off the natives and stopping the riots in the streets. His influence among the nobility of Flint was waning. Dariad was gaining popularity, and Torq feared for his position. The merfolk were angry, the people were angry, the natives were angry, and, last but not least, an angry dragon was on a rampage, coming by night and destroying whole swathes of colonists.
    There were no dragons in the East, he thought unhappily.
    He shuffled through the pile of papers on his desk and made a mental note to send an ambassador to the merfolk to try and calm their hostility. The other natives, he knew, couldn't be appeased, even by the missionaries. He was an invader to them, stealing their land and harming their people. Either way, he would lose the support of the colonists entirely if he tried, for they were convinced that the natives were a lesser race, that they had no right to resist. He was walking on thin ice here. The colony was balanced on a knife's edge.
    And then there was Dariad. Despite the fact that he had trusted the man with the information of Ivana's quest, Torq had a sneaking suspicion that the Trademaster was planning..... well, something bad, anyway. The governor thought about the situation. One of Dariad's subordinates was a friend. Perhaps he would help out a comrade in a time of need....
    And worst of all, his daughter was out in the middle of all of this, somewhere in the wilderness, on a wild goose chase after a powerful mage. Torq awaited daily the inevitable letter from the High City, relieving him of his position as governor of the colony.
    His job, his honor, his daughter, and his life were all in jeopardy.

And there wasn't a thing in the world he could do about it.

(Two more things: First, don't forget the assassin Dariad sent after Ivana. And secondly, the subtype City: {This card} enters the battlefield with {a number} defense counters on it. Cities can be attacked as though they were players. Whenever damage is dealt to a City, remove that many defense counters from it. When there are none, the player that last dealt it damage gains control of it.
  • @MagicChess
    Cool, just make sure to specify that on the card page as well for people not on this thread.
  • Got the "rough draft" of the map complete-
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cOXuOLCeT-ScZA0e_79kh-6pOILvq9cu7KKchED48nc/edit?usp=sharing
    Any suggestions for the final map, other than making it more detailed?
  • edited March 2017
    @Undella2
    If we were using a different map it would require a mountainous area and likely a corrupted woods area to make black players have something to turn towards. (In addition to being larger in general.) Although you'd have to talk to KJMartin if you'd like to use a different map!
This discussion has been closed.