Hi folks! I'm becoming a little bit addicted to making contests, I think.
So last year I held a contest
in which you all created cards using the format of the bonus cards found in the Planeswalker decks, based around other planeswalker characters. Since then, we've had two more sets of the decks, bringing out Ajani and Tezzeret and then Gideon and Liliana, and I figured it was time to bring this contest back, but this time, with original planeswalker characters!
Here are the rules:
1. Create an original planeswalker character and card. (Previous cards are acceptable, if you've made a Planeswalker in the past that you really like.)
2. Give me a small paragraph describing your Planeswalker as a character. Who they are, what they want, where they're from, what kind of magic they use, that kind of stuff.
3. Create a rare noncreature
card that has an effect and also searches your library for your planeswalker card by name
4. Create an uncommon creature
card that gets a bonus as long as you control a planeswalker with the same subtype
as your planeswalker.
5. Create a common card that is tied to your planeswalker thematically, but not necessarily mechanically.
You can see examples of the four card templates in the previous contest link above, or here
Power level is not a factor here, so you don't have to restrain yourself to cards that could be put in a realistic Planeswalker Deck. This contest is all about expressing the themes of your characters.
As such, judging is simple:
There will be three (or fewer) winners selected:
1. The contestant with the best planeswalker card.
2. The contestant with the best non-planeswalker card.
3. The contestant with the best thematic ensemble, looking at all four submitted cards.
*I'm defining best in terms of balance, coherence of themes, correct Magic formatting, the usual deal.
The contestants with the best planeswalker and non-planeswalker cards will get their cards faved, plus two additional favorites available on request. The contestant with the best set of four will receive the same, plus four additional faves. If someone wins in multiple categories, well, more faves for them! The contest will end on the April 22/23.
As always, have fun! I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.