Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cavern Fungi (2nd Underealm Challenge)

Welcome back to the wonderful plane of underealm, the plane that is comletely under ground! Last time we took a look at all the crystal creatures that inhabited the plane, but they also have a counter part, the fungi. These fungi feast on deceased creatures and people, making them spread there infectious spores. They have a special mechanic, Absorb (Effect depending on the amount of Non-Fungi Creatures that died this turn). It's your job to make the cards!

Rules:
5 entries per person
No joke cards (Humor can be included)

Prizes
First Place: 7 favorites

Second place: 5 favorites

Third place: 3 favorites

Honorable mention: 1 favorite

Good Luck!

Comments

• @zizick123
    May I post a Fungi card that is popping out of the surface?

Also, absorb is already a mechanic!

Absorb N (If a source would deal damage to this creature, prevent N of that damage.)
  • edited May 15
    If someone wants to make a Fungus Hydra, they can make one before us if they desire.

Here's the artwork we found.

• @modnation675 Yes you may.
    What do you think the mechanic should be called?
  • @zizick123
    Either Consume or Assimilate.
  • I would call it Sponge. Fungi absorb the nutrients from the dead. They are squishy like sponges and may swell with what they absorb too. I think Sponge has a lot of fungal flavour.
  • Lol, I'm imagining MTG player's reactions on youtube upon hearing a new mechanic called sponge. XD

Although, I do agree that works.
  • Sponge is a creature type however so that'd make things confusing.

But here is a land that prototypes how I'd imagine the Fungal mechanic could work without it having a name.

• edited May 16
    @Mellenius
    That is a fundamentally overpowered land.
  • That's true, I do love walking sponge. But it's also the only creature with that type, hmm.

Sponge - For each creature that died this turn, [this creature] gets +1/+1 until end of turn?
  • What about no special mechanic?
  • What about something like this ?
  • I made a Fungus faction for my set, so I have a lot of Fungus art if anyone needs some.
  • Not a fungus creature itself, but uses their toxic spores to its advantage.
  • @zizick123, only new cards? Or are old cards allowed?
  • This is like the Underdark from D&D.... might as well put in some drow and duergar while you're at it XD
    And by the way, @ASubtleGhost, love Deathcap Pixie! The artwork especially is fantastic.
  • @MagicChess Thank you ! And you are right, this artist has put up excellent work, I really like his graphic style.
  • edited May 21
    Third 'shroom:

Considering the amount of stuff on this, maybe increase the mana cost ? I'm open to suggestions.
  • edited May 21
    Fourth and fifth 'shrooms:
    image image
  • @MrRansom Old cards are allowed.
  • edited May 23
    image image image

The classic bioluminescent mushroom.