Card Feedback - Pay It Forward

Comments

• @Katastrophecy
    Blessed by Favor's an interesting one. White is certainly a correct colour for planeswalker support, though I'm not sure red is. The art certainly has the appearance of a boros colored card, but the effect, if it had a secondary color, I would think for it to be green, since that's a colour that cares about counters. I would propose changing it to be {1}{g}{w}{w} or {1}{w}{w}{w}.

• @Katastrophecy
    I like where the idea is going. I had some thought of a card with similar function but I had a second opinion.

The feel of the card should be of the blue, green or white colors.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vard-dethroned-king
  • edited July 2017
    @Beydin13
    The card is interesting, but needs quite a bit of re-formatting. In addition, remember to italicize reminder text.
    ---
    Commit (Rather than pay colorless mana to cast this spell, you may exile that many cards from the top of your library instead. If you do, skip that many of your next draw steps.)

Vard, Dethroned King enters the battlefield with an amount of +1/+1 counters equal to the amount of cards exiled to cast it.
    ---

Although, I prefer the following version. (Highlighted differences!)
    ---
    Commit (Rather than pay colorless mana to cast this spell, you may exile that many cards from the top of your library instead. If you do, skip drawing that many of your next cards.)
    ---

Next: (Edited: 9:47PM, 7/13/2017.)
    Any recommendations for future cards of this nature, since I already fixed the wording?

I was mainly concerned with making sure it entered under the same player's control rather than the owner's, to prevent unfair exploits with land exchanges.

"This land is designed around landfall and Tithe-like effects. Of course, at the cost that it can only produce mana on your turn."

• @modnation675
    So, it can choke your opponent's plains with Cloudstone Curio, free mill with Altar of the Brood, and give another extra landfall benefits to permanents with landfall. And many other things, I guess. Nice.
  • I don't see how Cloudstone Curio does anything relevant.
  • @modnation675 My bad, forgot the 'your control' text.
  • edited July 2017
    Deleted.

• Feels a bit cluttered and oddly designed.
  • edited July 2017
    Deleted.
  • edited July 2017
    Fine. How about this then?

• Wow, that artwork is beautiful!
  • Really love the artwork for that one as well...! My big issue with it is that one side of the card is amazingly strong, while the other kinda useless, ya know? Pay 6 to make each player lose 5 life? Breath of Malfegor does that specifically to opponents only for just 5, and that's a common.

It would work better with itself and with balance in general if the cost was XBB and it said something similar to "Each opponent exiles X cards from his or her hand. If he or she can't, they lose Y life, where Y is X minus the number of cards they exiled times two.".

My phrasing could use some work I'm sure, but just my feel of the card. Love the flavor too!

Mine is based off a League of Legends champion, so if anyone knows her/them that'd be awesome. Also if anyone knows how I could get enough room for the flavor on there, it'd like it to say:
    "Peacefully, they go. Hungry, we follow!"
    -Kindred, the Eternal Hunters

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kindred-the-eternal-hunters-6

PS: How do you post the image of the card directly in the comments...?

Awesome, thanks man!
  • edited July 2017
    @Glasletter, I just gave you feedback on another page. Thoughts?

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/fiendish-feline
  • Oooh, I really like that, actually...! I don't see any problems with it except when I think of viability... would I put it in a deck?

It's a large risk to toss 6 mana into an all-or-nothing card like that, and while it is certainly appealing, it has no way to really guarantee it's success. I might suggest changing it to base 13 instead of 20, dropping the first strike and making it 3BB or so. 2BB if you're going for mythic rarity. If you wanted to keep the first strike, drop it to 9, make it's toughness 2 and keep it at 3BB.

The straight gamble cards have a very.... red feel, ya know?
  • To tack on to that, there's no motivation to block it now that I think about it. You'd either have to build it into a deck with very nasty instants to pump it up for effects, which is a lot of work, or change it's regular power to 1 and make it trash 3 from their hand upon dealing damage or some other nasty effect, something to make the gamble worth it, and still worth the attack if they don't want to take the risk.
  • I'm not sure if you noticed or intended the lack of "until end of turn", either, but that could be slightly overpowered.
  • edited July 2017
    @Glasletter, I intentionally left out "until end of turn." It turns into a demon, doesn't it?

Thoughts?

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bpylgx-secret-savant
  • @Gelectrode It's a nice card to lock your opponent if he or she uses a Courser of Kruphix or something like that.

Also, infinite shuffling!

Is this Liliana seems okay or not?

• @sanjaya666, first of all, it is "Does this Liliana seem okay or not?"

: )

Concerning the card, I would probably reword the second ability to "Target player discards his or her hand, then loses life equal tot he number of cards discarded this way." And to make the card more fun, I would probably make each player discard a card and lose 1 life, not just you.

Technically, Bpylgx would not enable infinite shuffling because it is a "you may" ability. But because it would be difficult to get the emblem, and Courser of Kruphix effects are rare, I think it is fine.
  • edited July 2017
    @Gelectrode Ok then...

Hmm...

You: Finally I can put the emblem of Bpylgx!
    Opponent: Welp, apparently I still have this Courser of Kruphix.
    You: Shuffle your library!
    Opponent: I.... reveal the top card of my library...
    You: *Desperate screams* SHUFFLE IT.... !!
    Opponent: ....

Lol.
  • The second ability on Bpylgx is only relevant if you're playing with the same colors as your opponent as it's phrased now. You'd need to either be able to cast them without paying their mana costs or be able to spend mana of any color to cast them in order to make it always useful. That ult is unique and very nasty tho...! I like it!
    You could also change the second ability to a 0 cost if you left it as-is, since the ult is hard enough to reach anyways.

As far as Liliana goes, I'd agree with Gel that the first ability should be buffed a bit. Also I'd recommend dropping the starting counters from 5 to 4 and the cost of the second from -4 to -3 and changing it to "loses life equal to the number of non-land cards", because as it sits now the 2nd ability is almost as strong as the ult, if not more in some cases.
  • Okay I cannot see the last card posted so I can't give feedback on it. Butt here is mine.

In case it's not clear it was made for the unfun contest.
  • edited July 2017
    @Mellenius
    As you've mentioned it's for the unfun contest. So I'll avoid criticisms in that regard, but I can provide some help with formatting and help fix some exploits.

For the first ability, I think it would be best to compare this to Cruel Reality. So I'd format it as follows...
    ---
    Whenever a player casts a spell, that player exiles two untapped lands they control. If they can't, that player loses half their life total rounded up, then exiles their hand.
    ---

As for the last ability, I think this would be easier. It also provides a means of preventing someone from using it just to exile their library.
    ---
    Exile the top five cards of your library: You are unaffected by Mana Pains this turn. Any player may activate this ability once per turn and only during their turn.
    ---

Overall these changes fix most of the formatting issues and typos, as well as some exploits. But I'd recommend trying to make it feel less polarizing.

----------
    Next:
    I'm trying to make a white tempo costed creature that helps fixing of basic-Plains cards for the mono-color devoted. But I seem to be stumped on how to make it strong combat-wise when compared to other white cards. Overall, white just seems to have too strong of creatures these days for the cards to compare to existing options.

I've made a few attempts, but I'm wondering either where I'm going wrong or what some ideas other cardsmiths may recommend.

imageimage
  • edited July 2017
    @modnation675, the card to compare these to seems to be Knight of the White Orchid. Both of your cards are really balanced and interesting, but they aren't as good as the Knight. However, this may not be a bad thing; Knight of the White Orchid was perhaps the scariest card in Mono-White (aside from Gideon, of course). Herald of Endless Planes is hard for me to evaluate because it is an EDH-geared card, and I'm not sure a mono-white Plains-tutor belongs in any competitive EDH deck. Worldy Aristocrat is interesting, but as someone who plays mono-white in Standard, I don't love the card. First off, mono-white hates drawing Plains; it loves having them, yeah, but not drawing them. So putting stuff on top isn't very attractive. Secondly, the 2/2 body dies to all of the one-mana removal right now (Fatal Push, Magma Spray, Shock). Without an ETB or any measurable late-game impact, I don't think Worldy Aristocrat does what it's trying to do very well, and doesn't give much value. Of course, at uncommon, it makes sense for its power level, it just probably wouldn't get much Constructed play. If you changed the card to putting the Plains in your hand, however, it would definitely be playable (and probably a rare). Anyway, below are some of my ideas for a Plains-tutoring cat. Do any of them provide what you are looking for?
    imageimageimageimage
  • @AbzanCompany
    Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to push the effects more in the direction of giving rather than fixing due to that issue.

As for the ideas you posted, I like the second and third especially so I'll be pushing the triggered abilities further.
  • edited July 2017
    So what do you think of this card? My fear is that it is undercosted for the copying effect; put it in U/W Monument and your opponents will soon be buried in a swarm of tokens. Also, its fail case (three 1/1 bodies) is decent for three mana, even in the mirror (although the mirror for U/W Monument is about more than just layers of creatures, but that's a discussion for a different website). Anyway, feedback is appreciated, thanks! (How do you all feel about raising the cost to 3W or making it fabricate 1?)
  • edited July 2017
    @AbzanCompany
    I'd prefer keeping it at 3 CMC and fabricate 1 due to the high tempo nature of Modern or Standard token decks. Typically Commander and two headed giant games allow for higher CMC token based cards.

If you feel that's less impressive, you could always make the crafter a 2/1. Especially as it's a rare and wouldn't be bad on drafts therefore.
  • @modnation675, I agree with you, making the card a 2/1 with fabricate 1 seems good. Thanks! (Of course, since I can't edit cards, it may take me a bit to remake the card.)
This discussion has been closed.