Alacaw / MesoAmerican Call (Closed)

Comments

• edited June 2017
    First course. Feel free to share your thoughts about it, if you think it goes (or doesn't go) in the right direction.
    image image
    In the next batch, I'll think up some human cards.

Edit: Pridestalker now less beefy.
  • Pridestalker--Too strong. 5 drops are not 7/7s especially at common
    Skirmisher--Love the mechanic of this card(my Johnny would play Gruul instead of Izzet to try it), but seems under priced. 3 or four drop since I'm thinking about other cards like it.
    Greenwater Savage--Solid one
    Stranglevine--Natural is only in Bant colors, sorry. The Natural ability on it is so strong, so maybe back pocket the idea for something in Bant. I'll try to make some cards today.
  • edited June 2017
    Thank you. I will tone down Pridestalker. +3/+0 would be better maybe ? It was the initial idea.
  • I would ask someone more experienced if that is fine. My group only does casual 60 cards and edh
  • imageimageimage

few notes

1--Thread seems to be slowing down. I'll make a few cards every few times someone else talks.
    2--Thoughts of Antagonize as Jund mechanic (maybe the no block pump repeat)?
    3--Stone statue guy like this is fine, just no crazy shrub stuff going on.
  • @brcien
    Sorry about that, I was at the carnival all day with some family and friends. Got to enjoy some bubble gum milkshake though. Mmm! XD
  • You're fine XD. I am not super attached to the thread. Heading up the direction of design is really fun though!
  • edited June 2017
    Interesting idea for Thrive...

Thrive - At the beginning of your upkeep, you may reveal a land card from your hand. If you do, (effect). If a (Plains/Island/Swamp/Mountain/Forest) was revealed this way, (bonus effect).

Something that Landfall did as well :)

(But I guess since Thrive is a Bant mechanic, it would only be restricted to Plains/Island/Forest huh...)
  • @ManaChrome
    That sounds neat...

@brcien
    (Hey-remember-the-ampithere? How-it-was-designed-for-getting-lands-in-your-hand? How-good-with-Thrive-it-is? Hint-Hint)
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/brcien/sets/21854
    Here are all the ones I made so far, but there are about as many made by other people scattered in this thread that are sooo good!
    What are your thoughts so far? What is your favorite mechanic or card? What is this set doing well and doing poorly off of the mostly Gruul colored cards so far?

• Dang, with all these land synergies, I'd want to draft this with any Zendikar related set XD
  • edited June 2017
    So I just recently scanned a few of the Ixalan leaks, and I got really interested in a mechanic that would really synergise with Thrive...

Explore (Reveal the top card of your library, if that card is a land card, put that card into your hand. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then you may put that card into your graveyard.)

Explore is like a triggered ability or an activated ability (kinda like scry), something that the creature does, not you. It would be something like, "Whenever (trigger),this creature explores.", or "Tap: This creature explores.", maybe even "Target creature you control explores."

It really is an interesting mechanic, and I'd like to see how you guys would do it :)
  • edited June 2017
    image image
    I think things are going nicely so far. We may need more non-creature cards though. I like Thrive, it gives a lot of opportunities, and the dragon/amphitere cards you people made. Black, blue and white are indeed needed, if I make some more cards they will be in these colors.
  • XD I was actually trying to make sure not to make it too close to Zendikar. That's why landfall wasn't snap picked as the Naya ability (Landfall is my second fav keyword). As per Explore, I actually think thrive might be better revealing the top card so that it takes work or rnd to maintain.

High temple is very busted. T1 play it drop a land. T2 tap the land and suddle it in, you ave 4 mana off 2 cards. The second effect is more interesting than the first.

Alacaw is cool(my favorite of the three)! This might be a tiny stretch, but since this is a multicolor suggested not matters set, Think she could be (2)(g)(g) and still have the same effect. Revealing the island itself would kind of make the color identity a thing, which is actually really neat.

Ukklan Warmongers is in a weird place balance wise. Recently Channeler Initiate seems to show they are fine creeping green two drops. Wild Nacatl is the only reason I have ever tried playing modern, and that typically gets to be a 3/3 turn 2, so would a 4/3 for an extra mana, maybe an extra turn, better? I lean toward no sine mana is so tight in modern, but maybe in standard. I like the card though.

Overall, super cool cards! Interested in the characters you made up if you care to explain.
  • Since we have so many green and red cards compared to other cards, try making cards of the other colors if possible!!
  • @brcien
    Multicolor matters set or not, the Ampithere and Warrior-Priestess can still be multicolor. Just look at Kaladesh for a set with a lot of multicolor cards without a multicolor matters theme.
  • All the recent sets have 15-16 multicolored cards, one for each two pair and the rest in legendaries and planeswalkers. Through that logic, I would be ok with adding a rare cycle that are three coloreds but besides that, one per color pair besides legendaries and walkers. That being said, if a card doesn't need to be multicolored, I would prefer it not be(even though multicolored is probably the best thing in the world).
  • edited June 2017
    Well just in case, here is the alternate version. And nerfed Temples. And a curse !
    image image image
  • edited June 2017
    Well, there are some white and black vampires in the leaks, plus some blue and green merfolk if you need to look for any inspiration for nonred nongreen cards, so that's an interesting idea :)
  • edited June 2017
    Regarding the multicolor matters or not scenario, there are a "cycle" of multicolor uncommons that are basically build arounds in their color pair, Shadowstorm Vizier for U/B Cycling, Voltaic Brawler for R/G Energy, and so on... It would be interesting if you guys made these post uncommons (and yes, they are in all of the Ravnica guild pairings). So far, the sets that have this are, Kaladesh, Amonkhet, Origins, Oath of the Gatewatch (I think), and others... I forgot (lol).
  • However, I don't know how you guys would implement this in a shard-based set :P
  • @ManaChrome
    I've been trying to say to @brcien that the Ampithere is perfect for the bant theme. It's selesnya colored, flies, blocks well, and synergises with the bant-colored mechanic.
    But...
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • @undella2 I love the card XD I just think it doesn't have to be two colors which would let something else be two colors.
  • @brcien
    It's green because of putting lands in your hand.
    It's white because of high toughness and flying.
    Either making it mono-white or mono-green wouldn't make much mechanical sense.

And I like ampitheres.
  • I just googled some cards and there are a few fliers in monogreen, but the closest thing to a monogreen version of that would be Birds of Paradise, which is a modern staple. I don't think Ampithere would be as good as bird so I can see it as monogreen, but if you think white is important, we can give it the Selesnya slot unless something really boller comes in and knocks it out
  • @brcien
    That's fair.
  • edited June 2017
    @brcien
    They are generally less strong intentionally. Which is what Undella2 is trying to state.

If we push a multicolored card to be mono-colored, we must drop stats and limit the keyword combinations as well as utility generally.
  • @modnation675
    That's exactly what I was trying to say.
  • edited June 2017
    Deleted
This discussion has been closed.