Hello everyone =D
We (@Lujikul, @OneBigBlueSky
) have started to build a full Renaissance set
about a month ago. While we took a break due to exams, we would like to kick the project back, but we need YOUR help for that. We need fresh ideas to tackle some creative difficulties, so here's a list of everything we would need to finish the early creative part of design for the set.[EDIT: 15/07/2017]Thank you everyone, the set has gone pretty far and start to have a clear creative identity! The following lines are a summary of what we know about the set. Below the summary is a list of what we still need to close the creative thread and jump to the actual design thread. Feel free to jump in at any time! =D 1) Set definition
- The set is Top-Down Renaissance, which means we are translating the concept of Renaissance in Magic terms.
- This is a Life-matters set. This means that, just as Amonkhet was a graveyard-matters set and Kaladesh an artifacts-matter set, the set cares more than usual about life.2) Themes and tropes
- The main secondary theme of the set is emotions. Notably, we have muses that inspire emotions.
- Other themes that we feel are important: Art, plagiarism, exploration, science, humanism, philosophy, religion. This is not exhaustive of course! 3) Mechanics
- This is the flashy mechanic that ties into the Life-matters aspect of the set. Note that we're still looking for a definitive name and flavour (does it represent inspiration for instance?)Psylian life.
(Psylian life is part of your life total. You always lose psylian life before regular life. Pay 2 psylian life: Add a mana of any color to your mana pool.)
- This mechanic depicts how Art is living on this plane:Virtuoso N
(Create an N/N all colors Art creature token with haste and "Sacrifice this creature at the beginning of the next end step.")
- This mechanic depicts both the search for technologic innovation and explorers roaming the world:Discover THING
(Reveal the top three cards of your library. You may put a THING card from among them in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.)
E.g: Discover a land ; Discover a creature or planeswalker ; Discover Green ; Discover converted mana cost 3 or less ; Etc.4) Story
- The magic of this plane infuses life to art.
- Something is messing with the emotions of this plane's inhabitants, and it seems to have something to do with the Muses of emotions.
- The plane is an archipelago made out of many islands, waiting to be discovered.Now, in order to progress from creative to the actual design phase, we'd like to figure out some remaining details first: 1) Additional mechanics
- A Renaissance mechanic. Renaissance is a difficult theme because you don't have big tropes like pyramids and mummies for Egypt. So, for the main theme to be loud enough, a mechanic about Rebirth/Renewal/... is probably needed.
- A good mechanic representing messed up emotions (Overflow/Outburst/...) could be really useful.2) Story details
- We're still defining the details of the story which is why there's so little written above. The story will be solid enough for actual design once we have decided five key moments.
- In particular, we're still discussing the nature of the antagonist. Is it a planeswalker? Something bigger? 3) Archetype grid
Now that the set starts to have a mechanical identity, we must give each two-colours combination a rough game plan. The game plans must be balanced into the five (more or less) categories of archetypes every set must propose: Control, Midrange, Disruptive Aggro, Turbo/Beatdown Aggro, Combo (includes Ramp and Graveyard).
Feel free to comment below, we would be super thankful for any input you have about the set! =)