Renaissance Set — Design Phase

1222324252628»

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Hey guys ^^

I've used the past 5 days of quietness to try to go a little meta and think about strategy for the set building :) I'm slowly starting to get how the comments ebbs and flows, mostly it's a few months of activity then a few weeks of break, rinse and repeat. I wanted to make a more precise graph but the forum only keeps in memory the month of each comment so it' not very accurate. But, based on "bump" posts, I'd say the natural rythm we seem to get is about a natural break occuring every 4 months (last one was around november last year).

So here's my idea:
    - Let's officialize some regular breaks in the thread based on this data.
    - The rythm would be around 1 month of break every 3 months.
    - This allows creativity to breed more efficiently, it's when you think of something else that you get the best ideas.
    - This allows us to kick it back every time with defined checkpoints to meet, that have built-in deadlines, so we meet a compromise sooner or later on subjects that are heavily debated (even if we go back on them ater the first few tries xD)
    - This allows us to create a new updated thread regularly so we don't end up with a thread that's too long to read, with nobody really knowing where we're at and what we're trying to do.
    - The regularly updated thread should help the set to keep drawing in new blood ^^

_____

TL;DR

So, how about we take an official break until APRIL 2018, so everyone can refuel with new ideas and perspectives on the set? The one-month break every three months will then become a regular thing.

We'll kick back in april with a new thread. Meanwhile, I'll work on an updated introduction, 3-months objectives to propose, and a gallery of concept cards ^^

P.S: Here's the gallery of concept cards, it wasn't that long to compile actually xD I only took the designs from the Creative and Design thread but not the original thread that was really different. There are 396 designs so far, 73 of which are in the "text only" document and 102 being the common sheet V1 with no Art:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w9hvybCktlhQLXAKrhmjp-4zoiTdxKlV?usp=sharing
  • @Ningyounk
    Sorry, school and other activities got in the way of me helping out the last five days. I'll start a lore doc of ideas and release it on April 1st.
  • @ningyounk, @Tigersol, and all the other Rezatta people:
    Let's each take on an individual project and reconvene with our new ideas in April. Tigersol, I'd love to speak with you about developing our lore further.
  • @MagicChess
    I meant “start a lore doc” in the sense of brainstorming. If I get a great idea I will just put it on.
  • Hey guys, college is crazy right now! I remembered my spin on a nordic God card, which used the recur effect of a card I like, Enigma Sphinx. Here is an example of the effect on one of these guys. CHew over it as you guys keep brewing in your brain. I am in love with this set so far!
  • I feel like this could work well with the theme
  • @brcien I'll get back to you once we start the new thread, it's an interesting idea that fits the cycle theme really well ^^ We just have to make sure it feels different enough from the Gods now that the insectoid Gods of Amonkhet set up a precedent of recursion.

@pjbear2005 The condition does fit the life theme pretty well, but it's difficult to make a clean cycle out of it. My best guess is that it would be a 2 or 3 cards asymmetric cycle. Additionally, this card is strictly worse than an Island ;) Land is probably not the best card type to execute that idea ^^
  • I just think it would be good first turn if you don't have any basic lands
  • @pjbear From a deck building point of view, when would you put this card in your deck over a regular island, in your original idea?
  • A deck where you have small creatures to get out before big ones so you need mana early and this works early in the game
  • edited March 2018
    @pjbear2005 Yes, but if I remove this card from my deck and put an Island instead, now I have a land that produces the same amount of mana except it never enters the battlefield tapped, and can be fetched with Evolving Wilds on top of that. Do you see what I mean? Yes it's useful, but it's less useful than a regular island. As I have access to as many Islands as I want to build my deck, I have no reason to play it.
  • Your'e right I just thought it was an interesting concept
  • Your'e right I just thought it was an interesting concept

Here's another I made
  • I had an Idea that I could work on for another set in what would be a block of this
  • It could be a revolution because they were based on renaissance ideas
  • edited March 2018
    @pjbear2005 We're kind of the middle of a hiatus so I won't go too deep ^^ But basically:
    - The concept for the lands is interesting but would probably be best used on another type of card than land ^^ Bicoloured lands could work but some would be much more useful than others because not all colours care about life the same way in this set. Black, for instance, actively wants to lose life quickly. (Which is why I said it would probably be an asymetric cycle, we would need to find a different condition for each land probably, and I don't think there are five good ones.)
    - Natoyan is a pretty cool concept that certainly fits well. The art is really good as well, we can definitely use that. Would you be able to find back the artist?
    - Right now we have no plan on making multiple sets out of this plane, so it's a bit soon to talk about that. But maybe your idea could be useful for the story of this very set ^^

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I should probably make the hiatus thing a bit clearer for everyone , especially because we just bumped the thread multiple times x)

This thread is on standby until April! We'll be right back!

More details here: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/comment/98780/#Comment_98780
  • Ok will do

I added the artist
  • Alright. I can wait until April... sorry about not being on too much. My life is getting kind of whacked out...
  • edited July 2018

Heya! Here's an interesting design that I wanted to experiment with the Rebirth mechanic! I loved the idea of making the Rebirth mechanic make the creatures legendary! And, here's a cool illustration that pulled me to making this card in the first place for this set!
  • edited July 2018
    @ManaChrome
    That art is definitely going to be put to good use, thanks! And the effect itself could be really interesting if we find the right flavour to sell it ^^
    You may want to head to the other thread though, this one is 4-months old XD ==> Rezatta — VISION DESIGN PHASE
  • this seems very interesting
    like the idea by the way.
  • Ah XD alright then lol, thanks!
  • I know what it is like trying to make a set. That is all I do, and it can be so tough at times, especially when you are doing it solo
This discussion has been closed.