Equipment Matters Set Ideas

Comments

• Just make sure to push them into viability. Otherwise, they'll be nonviable!
  • edited September 2017
    I think the wielding mechanic could work for creatures that care about being equipped...

Like a card that says "As long as this creature is equipped (effect)" or "(Do something to target creature). If that creature is equipped (bonus effect)"

But since that equipment DOES have an equip cost, you can make cards with "This creature gets (a P/T boost) for each equipment attached to it.

But yeah, the "sliver" like mechanic for the equipment sounds suuuper cool!
  • edited September 2017
    Definitely, it'll just be a matter of balancing whilst making it worth playing.
  • I'm a bit confused about how welding works
  • @Stormtide

When a creature with the ___ Wielding ability enters the battlefield, you create an Equipment token with the same name as ___. ___ can be a shield, a staff, a blade, a sword, or a hammer in WUBRG order. This token has equip 2, and enters the battlefield attached to the creature that made it. Most creatures with the ___ Wielding mechanic will give abilities to ___ tokens, but not all of them will.
  • I think red would be more of a hammer, green a shield, and white a sword. I'm praying for a Throwing Knife reprint, and a bow would be a nice touch.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

Throwing knife would certainly be fun, especially for disarming hazards.

Your WUBRG Wielding cycle seems much better than mine, despite using all of the same pieces.

Bows would certainly be nice, but I can't think of a way to make multiple arrow types without some sort of separate quiver system.
  • Warrior's Bow 1
    T: Warrior's Bow deals 1 damage to target creature.
    Equip 1

Fire-Arrow Bow 3
    T: Fire-Arrow Bow deals 3 damage to target creature.
    Equip 3

Ice-Arrow Bow 3
    T: Ice-Arrow Bow deals 1 damage to target creature. Tap that creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
    Equip 3

Thoughts at common?
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21
    They seem quite lame design-wise. They also have no flavor thematically.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

I agree with modnation on this one. I think that they should grant reach and/or first strike at the very least. I was thinking of a quiver system of sorts. For example, a bow enters the battlefield with three arrow counters on it. A basic quiver is an artifact that puts three counters on a bow when it enters the battlefield. Basic bow script would be along the lines of...

Bow enters the battlefield with three arrow counters on it.

Equipped creature has reach and "{T}, remove an arrow counter from Bow: Bow deals 1 damage to target creature."

Uncommon + quivers cost coloured mana, and they grant an ability to bows. For example, a fire quiver at uncommon would be somethi n along the lines of...

When Fire Quiver enters the battlefield, put three arrow counters on target Bow you control.

Creatures you control have "Whenever a Bow attached to this creature deals damage to a creature, that bow deals an additional damage to that creature."

I think that it might be a bit more convoluted, but it's certainly more flavourful. What do you think, @modnation675?
  • edited September 2017
    Yeah, my bows were just basic crappy designs.
    Here's a Legendary dude who basically makes all the equipment for the pit fighters. I think Gideon and this guy would be buddies. Is it good?
  • edited September 2017
    I'm planning on each colour having its own creature subtype associated with them. In WUBRG order, I'm thinking soldier/knight, wizard, assassin, warrior, and hunter.

If I do go with that, I would suggest either changing the text to Soldier, or changing the colour to red. Another thing--The equipment token is a bit too cheap up front, and a bit too expensive to equip. Perhaps changing the create cost to 1WT and changing the equip cost to W would help? I don't really know.
  • Hm, you have a point, though I figured all the pit fighters, no matter what color, would be Warriors. But it's your set, rakshasha. I'll create another edition later.
  • edited September 2017
    Bruno seems Op to be honest given some of the broken Equipment that existed at times. Hence why Nazahn, Revered Bladesmith has that long clause on its ability and that was a Commander card. (By the way, Nazahn's Equipment is insane.)

As for the bow & quiver idea, I just feel the effects need to be more unique and worth while. Otherwise, they don't make much sense existing in equipment form.

There are other issues, but I can't post them in detail at the moment, since we're going out in a bit.
  • @modnation675

Certainly. I was just making that idea in a rush. I could come up with much better if I spent time to think about it. Could you send me the other problems through a message?
  • Mm, I like this set, but right now I'm kind of ill. I'll try to think up some cards, but please excuse me if I'm not working so well.
  • @NokiSkaur
    I don't doubt that one bit. I just feel it's important to comment on the current incarnation.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

No worries, mate. I understand. I hope you get well soon!
  • @modnation675

Most certainly. Thank you for all the help, by the way. One of my favourite things about this website is how active and friendly the community is. I'm glad to be a part of it.
  • You mentioned black recurring equipment from the graveyard so i thought equipping directly from the graveyard would be cool, it could go on cards like these.
    imageimageimage
  • @serpentail

I like all of these concepts, but each one has something that I would fix in terms of syntax.

On Battlefield Looting: Do you want this to be an 'As you cast this,' effect or an 'Until end of turn' effect? Specifying would greatly reduce confusion.

On Used Warblade: I feel that this clause would work better if it were on a separate line.

On Tarnath: I don't have much of a problem with him. Good synergy, well made, and decently balanced.
  • edited September 2017
    Equipping directly from the graveyard? For some reason this makes me uneasy, especially with cards like Elbrus, the Binding Blade. Also, it makes me feel odd about the flavor - are we going to see people wielding broken blades? Can't we just suffice it to reanimating equipment and equipping after that?
  • Black doesn't return artifacts from the graveyard. That's mainly a blue and white thing. Green might be able to return to hand, since it can return any card. But black mainly works with creatures, occasionally lands, and if it came up I'd guess planeswalkers.
  • edited September 2017
    @TezzeretofCarmot21
    Equipment can't be equipped from graveyards. You'd have to do a lot of rule changes to allow this.

Here is an example with our updated Ritual card. (For more details see this comment!)

• @TezzeretofCarmot21
    You're right I should've referenced the other user.

@serpentail
    See the above comment we posted.
  • @Stormtide

If Black won't fetch from the graveyard, perhaps black could tutor equipment? Maybe they'd be more of the 'Well, there's no rule AGAINST it' faction. You know--like black!
  • Maybe black should give benefits for equipped creatures killing other creatures.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

That might be too similar to red in its current state. Red cares about attacking, black cares about killing--there seems to be too much parallel there.
This discussion has been closed.