Mechanix Challenge #21

84 years ago, @Corwinnn, @MrRansom, @AustinSmith and @Tomigon started a project called TheMechanix. Now, its secret is revealed. It is where we organize all custom keyword mechanics posted to Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL.

For Mechanix Challenge - #21
We would like you to choose a custom keyword mechanic from THIS SET: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/13738
and make an incredible card that uses it.

In Mechanix Challenge 21, the focus is on Ability Names
Mechanix Challenge - 21 features mechanics from @Noobplayzgames, @Looverse, @Suicidal_Deity, @Gelectrode, @CrucibleOfHate, @Rednaxela, @SKiTCH, and @saveria201

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, usefulness and flavor.

Limit of fifteen entries max per person.
Deadline in 1 week : October 20
*Top 3 winners will get a super amazing -TROPHY- and added to -HALL OF FAME- !

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Here are the Mechanics for Mechanix Challenge 21

Skirmish by Noobplayzgames
    Skirmish - Whenever _____ blocks or is blocked, (effect…)

Dominance by Noobplayzgames
    Dominance - As long as you control a creature with power less than this creature's power, (effect…)
    or
    Dominance - (Activated ability). Activate this ability only if you control another creature with power less than this creature's power.

Lone wolf by Looverse
    Lone wolf - As long as _____ is the only creature you control, (effect…).

Tribal bound by JaceNalaar
    Tribal bound - As long as you control four or more "Creature type", (Effect…)

Pain by JaceNalaar
    Pain - When this creature enters the battlefield, you may have it deal 2 damage to you. If you do, (effect…)

Strategy by Suicidal_Deity
    Strategy - [Situation], you may cast this spell as though it had flash, and without paying its mana cost.
    AUTHOR'S NOTE : This one is a little trickier to define. It works identical to trap cards from Zendikar, but is usually a much higher cost, harder to pull off situation, and always results in flash and free casting cost. They're hard to pull off, even most of my Strategy cards are too powerful. Also, the subtype for the sorcery cards are also Strategy.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/blackened-skies?list=user
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/storm-the-walls?list=user
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/soul-conflagration?list=user
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/gift-of-crabs?list=user
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/against-all-odds-6?list=user

Forge by Gelectrode
    Forge - Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may pay {1}. If you do, (effect..)

Mulch by Gelectrode
    Mulch - Whenever this creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you may exile it. If you do, (effect..)

Soulless by JaceNalaar
    Soulless - Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay {1} and sacrifice it. If you do, (effect.)

Audacity by CrucibleOfHate
    Audacity - If this creature's toughness is one, (effect…)

Roar by Rednaxela
    Roar - Whenever you cast a creature spell with converted mana cost four or greater, (effect..)

Apex by SKiTCH
    Apex - Whenever this creature deals 3 or more damage to a player, (effect..)
    AUTHOR'S NOTE: If 3 damage would just be way too easy to trigger, 4 damage would be my next choice.

Aligned by saveria201
    Aligned - If the number of cards in your hand is equal to or greater than this ____'s converted mana cost, (effect..)

• Examples:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • edited October 2017
    IT'S BACK BABY!!!
    Here is my take on Aligned by @saveria201

• Wish I remember those two abilities...
  • @Corwinnn
    Rakdos wants you to have a small hand size though?
  • edited October 2017
    Strategy by @Suicidal_Deity

• @Tomigon isn't it mechanix challenge 21?
  • Here are three entries with the mechanic Apex by SKiTCH:
    Apex — Whenever this creature deals 3 or more damage to a player, (effect..)

imageimageimage
  • edited October 2017
    @ningyounk
    All 3 are stellar concepts. I think if WoTC printed the Rusher, they'd probably make it a {3}{r} Ape.
    Thanks for the inspirational brilliance!
  • edited October 2017
    Apex:
  • edited October 2017
    deleted
  • Wow! Very interesting cards! Nice work everyone!

@Credius
    Fixed. Thanks!
  • @Faiths_Guide Yes, I hesitated a lot with 3R Trample, haste for the Labyrinth Rusher! My train of thought was that it would occur the risk of being tapped permanently (a.k.a. get lost in the labyrinth) quite often. As both the 3R haste and 2R non-haste versions allowed it to attack for 5 on turn 4, I figured I'd go with the 3-mana option for combos with cards giving haste ^^ But it might be too strong yes, I see where you're coming from :)

I really like your Arrogant Embermage as well, using noncombat damage is very clever! =D
  • @Faiths_Guide - This is why I shouldn't make cards late at night!
    XD
  • edited October 2017
    Skirmish by @Noobplayzgames

• edited October 2017
    @ningyounk
    I was mulling that over since my comment. I totally agree with what your saying. I think {1}{r}{r} would be the way to go.

& Thanks :)

@Corwinnn
    XD
  • edited October 2017
    Interesting.
    Apex:
  • edited October 2017
    Dominance:
    [NOT A VALID ENTRY]
  • Revised Embermage's Apex effect.
  • edited October 2017
    deleted
    Decided to take a fun, literal approach to the ability
  • @sanjaya666 It seems a bit counterintuitive that her first ability (not counting reach) doesn't actually help trigger Apex, was this intended? You need her to deal 3 damage in one go for the ability to trigger, it isn't cumulative ^^
  • edited October 2017
    @ningyounk Maybe with the help from a card like Furnace of Rath then it will deal 8 to that player added with extra 4 damage to all those creatures after casting an instant or sorcery?
  • @sanjaya666 Yes, there are multiple ways for it to trigger the Apex ability, just casting a Giant Growth on it and attacking for instance ^^ But having the first ability basically not being a way for Lysanna to trigger her second ability is quite counterintuitve, especially for a damage-dealing ability :/ Also, beware that a card increasing damage will create an infinite combo with how it's worded right now (for instance, casting Lysanna on turn 2 and Injury on turn 3 instantly wins you the game.) I would strongly advise not letting any Apex ability deal damage to a player so it can't trigger itself like this ^^
  • @ningyounk Thanks for the advice, baws.
This discussion has been closed.