*POTENTIAL DOMINARIA SPOILER ALERT. TREAD WITH CAUTION.*
(I haven't named any cards or linked any leaked images so it should be okay to proceed, but be careful, just in case)
As is clear from the title, what I'm looking for are cards like these:
Hate cards are a big part of what keeps the game healthy and prevents any one strategy from becoming too degenerate and/or powerful. Many of these cards are sideboard staples, and there are even entire decks that revolve around these. What I want to see you do is design a good hate card. There are four categories for this challenge:Category A: "Hatebears"
For this category, design a hate card that is a creature
with converted mana cost 3 or less
. Classic examples include Leonin Arbiter (shown above), Thalia Guardian of Thraben, Dryad Militant, Harsh Mentor, Loxodon Smiter, Reclamation Sage, etc.Category B: "Spell-ing Doom"
For this category, design a hate card that is an instant/sorcery
with a converted mana cost 4 or less
. Classic examples include Hurkyl's Recall (shown above), Shatterstorm, Shadow of Doubt, Ancient Grudge, Ceremonious Rejection, etc.Category C: "EncHATEments"
For this category, design a hate card that is a noncreature enchantment
(i.e, cards like Eidolon of Rhetoric don't count) with a converted mana cost 3 or less OR a leyline enchantment with a CMC of 4
. This is perhaps the most iconic category of hate cards, with recognisable cards like Blood Moon (shown above), Stony Silence, Rest in Peace, Leyline of Sanctity, etc. Category D: "Instrument of Hate"
For this category design a hate card that is a colourless noncreature artifact
(i.e., cards like Ethersworn Canonist don't count) with a converted mana cost 2 or less
. Examples include good old Pithing Needle (shown above), Grafdigger's Cage, Torpor Orb, Relic of Progenitus, and a (spoiler) soon-to-be-released card in Dominaria that I will not name here. (end spoiler)
You may design up to one card for each category
, for a total of 4
entries per smith. Then, if you have designed 1 card for each category, I will grant you a bonus 5th entry
in a category of your choice (or if you want to do something unique, like a hate 'walker or a hate land, then you may do so). Other rules are as follows:
1. No joke cards. Humour is appreciated though (like the flavour text on Null Rod)
2. While it is certainly possible to come up with innovative artifact or graveyard hate, try to design cards that hate on strategies or mechanics for which hate cards don't yet exist, or cards that hate on multiple strategies. There wasn't a proper hate card for Tron in Modern until (spoiler) the aforementioned soon-to-be-released card was leaked, and having the same card also hate on Storm was just cherry on the cake (end spoiler). So, try to work along such angles.
3. It shouldn't be too broad and should fit the general theme of a hate card (as opposed to an answer card). While Liliana of the Veil is very good against control decks, she doesn't qualify as a hate card, simply because you'd also be happy playing her against other decks. Similarly, a boardwipe doesn't count as hate against creature decks, because a boardwipe doesn't stop the opponent from playing creatures or punish them for doing so, it merely answers their creatures. On the other hand, a card that said "Players can't cast creature spells" is a hate card against creature decks, as it actively prevents the opponent from playing creatures. Similarly, a card that said "Whenever a player casts a creature spell, that player loses 3 life" is a hate card, as it punishes the opponent for playing creature spells. Look through all the cards I mentioned in this thread to get a general feel for what a hate card looks like. In particular, be very careful with counterspells: Counterspell and Essence Scatter are too broad to count, while Ceremonious Rejection is a true hate card.
4. Cards should ideally be of nonzero mana cost. There must be a good reason for making a 0 mana card (like Tormod's Crypt).
5. Cards shouldn't be unrealistic or severely break the colour pie. No red enchantment hate, please!
6. New entries only
7. Cards will be judged on the basis of balance, creativity, art, wording, templating, and efficacy/playability across various formats (including kitchen table, the best format of all)
I will judge each category separately and also the whole challenge overall. The rewards are:
1st place for each category: 3 favourites and a follow (+1 fave if already following)
2nd place for each category: 2 favourites
3rd place for each category: 1 favourite
Honourable Mention (overall): 1 favourite
3rd place (overall): 2 favourites
2nd place (overall): 3 favourites
1st place (overall): 5 favourites
Deadline is 10th April 11:59 PM IST
Get smithing! And please don't hate me if you don't win!