Stringing us along contest *Circuit & Artwork Challenge*

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Decided to mix the music up a bit this time, hopefully people like it. Sorry for the late post, I was theory crafting some cards.

Thematic Music:
    1) So Contagious by Acceptance
    2) Cold As Ice by Blacklite District
    3) In Your World by Muse
  • edited April 2018
    Analyzing this will probably be difficult:
    Explanation in the comment section.
  • edited April 2018
    My first entry. He's not asking you to come with that gesture, rather he's bringing you to him.
  • Here's a puppeteer for now. His most beloved creation will be here soon.

• edited April 2018
    Entry #2:
  • I plan to post soon it is hard to find art though
  • Anyone remember the old Puppetmaster keyword by @Beeswax?
    Puppetmaster (When this creature dies, sacrifice each creature paired with it.)
  • @Faiths_Guide
    I do remember that! I was actually thinking about it and the card I made with it just the other day, actually. (Not an entry)

• edited April 2018
    This was my old one [not an entry]:
  • Erich's creation is also his greatest sin.

imageimage
  • Nice entries. I'll try to post some more artwork soon. But I've been at home with a fever, so it may take some time.

Although, it seems people aren't having too much trouble finding artwork.
  • Hey @modnation675 could I have until the morning of the 15th (central US time) to make my entry(s)?
  • @KrampisZman
    I think that's fair. I'll give you a bit of extra time since I go by the end of the day according to Canada Central time.

@Everyone
    I'm changing the due date to the 15th. Will change this in the contest description!
  • @Corwinnn
    Extending the due date by a day.
  • @modnation675 Thank you very much, eh?

Sorry, I had to make a Canada joke. Although I don't live in Canada, I live very nearby, so I end up interacting with Canadians or just flat out going to Canada somewhat frequently.
  • Heres my take on it !

• edited April 2018
    When I think "Marionette," I instantly think Five Nights at Freddy's. For my entries to make sense, we are going to need to examine this series and it's (confusing) lore. For my design choices of my entries to make some sense, I will also need to introduce you to two of my older card designs. These are not entries, but rather some old legendary creatures that represent the two main characters in this series. Keep in mind that I will probably be editing these cards in the future to be... not as rough as they currently are. Just remember that these are from 2016 and are by no means new designs. Following them will be my entries.
    imageimage
    These two are at the core of the main FNAF series conflict. I would argue that they are the two most important characters to the lore of the franchise. In a nutshell, William Afton creates a children's entertainment business with a mechanical engineer named Henry. This new corporation, known as Fazbear entertainment, is a Chuck-E-Cheese style restaurant and arcade business. Henry creates animatronics to entertain the patrons, while Afton is in charge of the business side of the venture. Unbeknownst to Henry, Afton is actually a soon-to-be serial child murderer.

On one cold, rainy night, while the original Freddy's restaurant is still small, Afton lures his first victim out into the night. He murders her in an alleyway next to the building, thus becoming the shadowy villain "The Purple Guy" (he is generally referred to this because of his purple sprite in-game.)

However, something wasn't quite right. After Afton left the scene, a "security puppet" that Henry had made wanders out into the alleyway where the murder took place. It turns out that Afton's victim was actually Henry's daughter, Susie, and this particular puppet had been created specifically to protect her. The rain damages the marionette as it tries to find that which it was designed to defend. Eventually, it finds it's target, but it too waterlogged to actually do anything to help the poor girl.

Susie's spirit haunts the Marionette.

She immediately becomes a vengeful spirit. She wanted nothing more than to get revenge on her murder, and to help others from having the same, grim fate as her.

This is my interperetation of how Susie might feel about "waking up" and becoming the Marionette.

Unfortunately, the Marionette can't do much to prevent the Purple Guy from killing. It is "just" a puppet, after all. The Marionette does all it can to save the Purple Guy's victims. It tries many things, but nothing works. In the end, the Marionette "gives life" to the spirits of the other murdered children, causing them to inhabit the bodies other animatronics.

Eventually after many, many long and confusing story tics and possibly up to a dozen additional deaths (of children or otherwise), the Marionette and the spirits of the other dead children are able to materialize and corner Afton in the abandoned, rotting, first Freddy's location. Afton tries to hide in a Spring-lock suit, an animatronic utilizing specialized spring locks to enable a human to fit inside. Unfortunately, the spring locks fail, causing Afton to die a slow, painful death.

After this, the spirits of many of Afton's victims are able to be set free. For many of them, their last experience as spirits trapped on earth will be the birthday party from which they were denied.
    (Also, I created this card because my Birthday was today and I thought it would be nice to make a non-vanity Birthday themed card. Since the "happiest day" minigame takes place at a birthday party, I thought it was a good fit!

Unfortunately, although Afton dies as a person, his Spirit haunts the Spring-lock suit in which he died. This creates Springtrap: the haunted, restless, animatronic tomb of a serial killer. The Marionette cannot be put to rest until Afton's spirit is gone too. As Springtrap, he can still harm other people. It would seem that the eternal rivalry would go on forever...

A couple of other spirits are also haunting random animatronics for a variety of reasons at this point in time. Even though all of Aftons Victims have been put to rest (save the Marionette), some other people who have died in animatronic related incidents are still haunting suits.

Finally, after what might have been decades of inactivity (we don't really know, the lore of this series is freaking confusing), Henry finally returns to free the rest of the spirits once and for all. He creates an elaborate trap involving yet ANOTHER pizza restaurant to lure the remaining animatronics to one place so he can put them to rest. He immolates the building, after giving this one, final, speech.

SPOILERS: Henry's monologue from the end of the (canonical) final FNAF timeline game.

Hopefully all of that makes sense. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Kramp
  • Wow @KrampisZman that was a hell of a read. Happy belated birthday too BTW!
  • edited April 2018
    Last entry.
  • @sorinjace Hopefully it all made sense!

I had a very nice birthday. Me and a couple of the guys went down to my local LGS and did a chaos draft. Oddly enough, we ended up only using packs from Theros and Amonkhet blocks. It was fun though!

Thanks for wishing me a happy b-day!
  • Awe! Theros! That would've been fun!
  • @KrampisZman, I. LOVE. IT. I’m glad that there is another cardsmith right who loves fnaf. Also I am under the impression that its UR happiest b day, so Gratz!
  • Okay, entries are closed for judging. Results will be posted in a couple of hours!
  • @Corwinnn
    Contest Results:
    Hello fellow cardsmiths, we've had a lot of great entries and several of them could've made it into the top three entries. But I decided on these three to take home the prize.

Top three cards:
    1st) Erich, Dominating Puppeteer by @TenebrisNemo
    2nd) Chain-Host Marionette by @Faiths_Guide
    3rd) Benevolent Retelling by @bnew07

imageimageimage

Current Prizes:
    A) The top three cards' creators will each get the following...
    - Follow from us.
    - 3 favorites of your choice.
    - Your choice of Honorable Mention, Optional.
    B) The honorable mentions will each get the following...
    - 2 favorites of your choice.

And because it's also a Circuit Challenge
    The First Place card will earn 1 CP.
    The Second Place card will earn 3/4 CP.
    The Third Place card will earn 1/2 CP.
    Honorable Mentions will earn 1/4 CP.
  • Congrats other @Winners! Thanks for the contest @modnation675.
    Could you fave my most recent cards on my primary account?

HM: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rix-maadi-marionette
  • @Gelectrode is our first honorary mention.

Will do so @Faiths_Guide!
  • Congrats to the winners and hm
This discussion has been closed.