Tournament of Champions 2 (The game has begun)

Comments

• @ShaperKyon - You're right, and I am sorry for not being around. I should've let everyone know from time to time how the tournament is going, what am I doing, and so on, even if no one was asking via message. Personal life has succesfully kept me away for many times, but whenever there's a good moment, I continue with our silly road to championship.
  • @TenebrisNemo And on to page 42! Let the tournament continue!
  • OK! @TenebrisNemo has spoken that I should not start a third until this one is finished, so I guess I won't.

Just for clarification, how many more rounds are there before this one is done?
  • That would be 21 matches.
  • Yea there were 32 entrants and I still havent had my first round @Aggroman15
  • @DoctorFro - I think when Koorir fought against the demonic shade was a good first round for you.
  • edited October 2018
    Oh okay...but what about Miro my opponent
    So I won my round?
  • edited October 2018
    Fateful Intervention - Part II

( Starring: @shadow123, @pakashara, @Bobman111, @TheCenterOfTheUniverse, @ShaperKyon, @DoctorFro, @baryonyx69, & @pjbear2005. )

Cold rain was falling over port town Eternstor, the lonely shores, ghost town Salaxum, and all areas around them. Dark clouds, howling winds, and lightning strikes have motivated many people to go indoors, take a blanket, sit in front of a fireplace, and grab a hot drink. The people at Salaxum's old plaza wished they could do that. Instead they had gathered around a bonfire under host Philibert's large red marquee, which the ringmaster pulled from his hat and threw into the air, hovering over a large area in front of the empty wooden stands. Koorir has been the only one strong enough to bring large logs to the bonfire from the ruined buildings, and Pele was the only one who could make it burn in such a rainy weather. The dragons and many other contestants didn't come to watch the eleventh match in the first place. The civilians envied them.

"What a joke," a middle-aged, bald man said angrily to some of his buddies. "When the most interesting part was about to begin, the fishman dismisses the orb!"

"And now they force us to stay in this place while we freeze to death," an old, bearded man spitted while slightly shivering and reaching out his hand at the bonfire.

"All because of the possible shade outbreak," a chubby man mumbled after taking a swig from his pocket bottle. "It won't take long until they come here and kill us all for disturbing their rest. Just like I said many days ago; turning this town into an arena was as foolish as building it in the first place!"

The listeners agreed with their rough voices, then continued to rub it in over and over again. Caphria, the angel contestant, heard their conversation as she passed them and looked around the plaza. The remaining guards which Eetu didn't take with him were standing watchfully in every corner. Gaspar and Philibert had their own benches under the marquee, and two elite guards with engraved armors were standing next to them. They even had a tiny table, where Philibert put some notes for Gaspar to read. According to the facial and body expressions the two hosts had, the subject they discussed about was something Caphria didn't want herself to get involved to.

Then the warrior angel walked to the other side of the bonfire where the present contestants were spending time. Koorir was sitting a few meters away from the fire while Zintius was sitting behind the minotaur back to back. When Caphria wondered where Coltras Drasonkai was, the merfolk contestant walked right next to the angel from behind her. He saw the look on the angel's face that thirsted for answers to the questions she had in her mind.

"I was afraid something like this would happen during a match," Coltras began with his knowledgeable tone while also making sure no nearby civilian was listening. "Me, Koorir, and Zintius have made terrifying sightings during the course of the tournament."

"Like what?"

"Everyone knows about the shade in the match between Kift and Mettir. But before that, another one attacked pyromancer Pele in the streets of Ertenstor, and was slain by Koorir."

"You mean in Eternstor, right?"

"Yes... Names made by humans are hard to pronounce."

"Don't forget about the forest," Zintius said gloomily to the duo from behind Koorir, who was silently snoring. "The things you saw with ranger Tajay... The dark herbs, the twisted tree that attacked you, and finally the things we found within the alley where Pele saw the demonic shade... They may all be connected to the man we saw from the merfolk host's orb."

Then Coltras and Zintius began to speculate the connections between these events to each other. Caphria left the conversation without them noticing and walked to the direction where she saw Pele last time. The young pyromancer was sitting on a stone brick at the most quiet corner of the marquee, staring at the direction where the tournament soldiers went. As Caphria was approaching her quietly from behind, she stopped a few meters away from Pele as she heard her talking to someone.

"I'm worried, Tai," Pele said to the faerie contestant, who was sitting on her knee. "Why did the hosts decide to hold matches here even after the first shade attack? Are they obsessed in finding the next champion so much that they are willing to risk the many lives of those who are involved in the tournament?"

"Pele," Tai said in a calm tone even though she was slightly afraid as well. "It takes many hardships to create a formidable champion. Maybe that's the reason they decided to make use of this place. But now that there's a conflict going on and our friends are in the middle of it, we can only wish that they will survive it, become stronger, and maybe even unlock their path to championship."

"But I do not want one of us to become a champion at the cost of our bonds," Pele said angrily with a trembling tone. "I want our friendships to last even if we all lose."

"Me too, Pele," Tai whispered as she leaned to Pele's chest and hugged her as well as she could with her short arms. Pele calmed down, hugged Tai by placing her palms on the faerie's back, then closed her eyes. Caphria, who was silently standing behind them the whole time, quietly walked away from the marquee into the rain and looked into the sky above the area, where the current match's contestants probably were. As lightning flashed behind the clouds, for a second, she saw many dark tendrils flowing down from the clouds into the battle's location.

They're just two little girls who are now facing some of the darkest powers of this realm. All this caused by a man who is unknown to everyone...
  • edited October 2018
    Acyros, Sylva, and Nya were desperately fighting for their lives against the countless shades which have descended from the dark, cloudy sky to the large street. Unlike the shade that attacked the efreet and the merfolk contestants days ago, these shades didn't bear any physical equipment. They were all pitch-black shadows, quick enough to dodge the attacks of the trio, then immediately capable to attack them with their sharp claws of darkness. They obeyed all commands of their master, who had decided to take the lives of the gunner, the airship repairer, and the Selesnya warrior. A black knight who calls himself Merikh.

Even though it was raining and the wind blew within the street, the two contestants and the arena watchman were sweating from the heat of battle. Sylva had to discard her bag in order to be agile enough to react to her enemies' movements. Whenever a shade tried to grab or maul her, she dodged the attack and punished the dark creature by attacking it with her dagger. The weapon went deep into each shades' substance, and when Sylva pulled the dagger to destroy the living shadow's body, it let out a ghastly howl and turned into black smoke. Sylva had no choice but to keep on moving and fighting after each kill. She had injuries on her body, which were caused by the vicious opponents that swarmed in the street. Her white shirt and green pants were wet, slightly torn, and stained in dark red blood.

I can't keep up much longer! My legs are tired and I feel weak...

As Sylva destroyed yet another shade, she collapsed. Nya, who was fending off the shades with her staff few meters away, saw as her friend was lying on the wet and rocky ground while being surrounded by shadows.

"No! Leave her alone!"

Nya quickly thrust her staff to the ground that caused it to glow faintly with golden light while she ran towards Sylva. She struck away each shade that tried to stop her. Only a few seconds passed until Nya was able to knock the shades off from Sylva and thrust her staff to the ground again to awaken the roots around her. Her spell caused the roots to quickly grow and form a tough sphere large enough to fit at least five people in there. Nya and Sylva were inside the sphere while the shades tried to tear it open or to reach their slender black arms from the gaps at the two exhausted contestants. Nya was on her knees at the center of the sphere, as far away from the root walls as possible. With a few tears in her eyes, she turned Sylva around so she could see her face while the airship repairer's head was resting on Nya's thighs. Sylva's eyes were closed. She had a bleeding wound on her left cheek and her face was slightly dirty.

"Oh, Sylva... Please don't leave me..."

Nya's lower lip began to quiver as she was holding Sylva tightly on her lap. But then the airship repairer slightly opened her eyes.

"I am not leaving yet, Nya..."

"Sylva!"

The two friends hugged each other tightly. Even though they were surrounded by the sounds of the aggressive shades and felt the pain of their injuries, the two girls were filled with gentle warmth that eased their suffering and calmed their restless minds. After a tiny moment, they stopped hugging each other, then Sylva picked up her dagger from the ground next to her, and looked at Nya.

"Where is Acyros?"

Nya wiped the tears from her eyes with her wet hand and tried to look through the gaps between the roots to the direction where she saw Acyros last time. But the shades were in the way, so she only could hear gunshots in the middle of the racket not too far away.

"We must help him," Sylva said in an encouraging tone. "We shouldn't have allowed the shades to separate us. Together we may have a chance to survive."

The Selesnya warrior nodded, picked up her staff, and stood up. On that moment, the shades had managed to rip open a few holes in the sphere wall and prepare to jump inside. Nya saw this, and shouted a spell that made the sphere of roots open like a flower in such speed that it threw the shades on it many meters away from the two girls. The roots also crashed onto each shade right next to it, making them fall onto the ground. Sylva grabbed Nya's hand, and they both ran past the lying shades to the direction where they heard the sounds of Acyros's shots and Merikh's clashing longsword.
  • ( @Everyone - Contestants other than Sylva and Nya are still able to do things even though this part isn't finished yet. Just make sure not to get themselves involved with the current, ongoing event.

If you wish to write any story segments that take place in the past, you're free to do so. )
  • @TenebrisNemo Thanks for starting it up again! This story is turning out to be so much more than I first thought. I didn't know what making a friend or two would turn out as. I feel very deeply that even if it took years I would still wait for this tournament to finish. You clearly take the time necessary to make the stories meaningful as well as detailed. I'm so glad you're back and I continue to support you and this tournament. *salute*
  • ( @pakashara - It's the least I can do after my absence. You're very welcome! )
  • edited October 2018
    Tai sat restlessy longing for her friends to come. But they were clutching onto their lives has they fought the shades. She kept still and held Pele’s hand. The judges faces were solemn as well. This concerned her. Suddenly a dreadful thought creeped into her mind.

The warrior said he may take Nya and Sylva’s souls! Would they not be able to revive her friends if their souls were taken by the shades or warrior? Would she ever be able to see her friends again?

Tai was aching to run to the arena and help her friends, but she knew she couldn’t. Suddenly she felt a vision trickle into her mind:

Sylva and Nya were in an ally. They were holding hands when a jet black shade creeped towards them. A wispy black claw plunged forward. Then a scream pierced the air.

Was it real? If it was, she had to help her friends. She stood up and almost started towards the arena when a warm hand pulled her back. The warmth traveled through her body and calmed her down. Pele smiled at her and said one thing, “I feel the same way.”

Tai instantly calmed down. Although it pained her to see her friends in such a state, she hoped it would be fine. And so did Pele.
  • ( @shadow123 - The orb which showed the people at the audience what was happening to Nya and Sylva was removed when the rune-stones were destroyed. Tai, and the other people at the plaza can't see what is happening during the match right now. )
  • The boy who met seven gods – Chapter 13: Bringing down the Kilmaeren, part 2

Basil rode together with Antonio and Rowan towards the city which took less than half an hour.
    When they arrived they went to a tavern at the outskirt of the city. They all three ordered beers and sat down. Rowan looked around the tavern as they sat down to see if someone was apparently looking a little too much into their activity. Twenty minutes of jokes and laughter later the three boys decided to leave. They walked out on the streets and moved across the city to the building were they would wait for the moment of action. The building was a throw distance from the manor that was suspected to be the Kilmaeren headquarter. It looked almost more like a fortress with stone walls and hired guards. A beggar was sitting at the corner of the same building they would meet inside. Basil recognized the face of the beggar from one of the soldiers in the forest earlier. “Would you fellas please spare a coin for a poor man?” said the beggar while swinging a cup in horizontal movements. Antonio nodded to the beggar’s motion and denied his request as they went inside.

.Inside they only found a middle aged couple. The man was sitting at the window looking out of a gap of planks towards the mansion and in the back of the room stood a woman and cooked food. The woman looked back at the boys and pointed towards the corner beside the oven. The boys walked there and found a rug which the moved away to reveal a trap door. They opened it and climbed down into a cellar. Down in the cellar they found the captain sitting at a table talking with another knight and four soldiers, all equipped. Two other soldiers were sitting and playing cards on the floor. At the back of the cellar at some opened barrels stood Alice, Janet and two soldiers helping them putting their armors on. The captain waved the boys towards the barrels when he saw them. Alice was just being finished with her armor so the soldier when seeing the boys began to look over the closed barrels. When he found one of interest he broke open the lid and took out pieces of metal armor that belonged to Antonio. Alice and the soldier helped the boys put on their armor.

When they were finished they sat or stood around the table where the captain explained once again the plan. He also explained that the army that the pigeons had been sent to should arrive not much more than two hours after the operation begins just in case the Kilmaeren get wind of what is happening and send for reinforcements themselves or if the city would fall under intended unrest. The captain had taken almost ten minutes to finish. The time to strike would fall soon but it was up to the soldiers within the mansion disguised as the gold transport guardians to take out the guards and open the gates. The minutes passed but nothing happened. The captain ordered a soldier to go up and ask the man which he did. He returned a moment later with the message that nothing had happened yet.

“I gave them twenty minutes and they can’t even follow such simple order!” Said the captain with an annoyed tone.”If they have been caught then there is nothing we can do until the army arrives and we have to siege the mansion. That is unless they manage to find out from our disguised men that the army is on their way.”Said the other knight.

The captain chuckled slightly. ”I don’t think that will be a problem. You see I told the men that the army would not arrive until four hours after their intended arrival. Even if they would succeed to gather the knowledge they would be far off. Then again. Why do we assume that they would be able to find out in the first place? They haven’t shown any sign of such competence these last years nor since they were almost destroyed 95 years ago. They are nothing more than fancy clothed rebels that have taken a feared name and treated as such.”
    “What do you mean captain? The Kilmaeren have killed thousands upon thousands only during these last years, destroyed many villages and interrupted important road. What I’ve heard the old Kilmaeren almost never did anything at all. That they were cowards.” Said Alice in a slightly upset voice almost interrupting the captain.

“That is indeed true dear. These Kilmaeren act with fire and destruction unlike the Kilmaeren of old. But they these new ones does not think like those of old and that makes them far less dangerous even if they kill more people. You see the Kilmaeren did not act against the kingdom directly. They instead proved themselves loyal to the kingdom and the royal family. They infiltrated the positions of positions of power. Slowly but surely they took more control without anyone knowing since nothing they did was strange. They imprisoned and killed their own whenever a kilmaeren was found to not blow their cover. I myself believed that they also did it to remove the weak links from their organization. Never did they turn against the kingdom. Not even when they took the positions as royal family guardians and the commander of these, Sir Pavyel himself, did they strike. No they waited until the moment when they could in a simple act remove the whole family and take control over the kingdom. But as you all know. They failed when they mistook a maiden as princess Julia. Most would say that it was by a small string of pure luck that they failed then, something that could not be said today. No one knew if their closest friends or companions where true or Kilmaeren. A time when you could trust no one, well until the gates of Crastine was shined upon by the white flame and the people saw their truth.”

“What makes you so sure captain. What if we are Kilmaeren agents waiting for a perfect moment to rebel.” Said Antonio while waving his hands.
    “Don’t be ridiculous. We have taken the oath and been drinking Friyena’s wine. Your loyalty is guaranteed and before you ask. These soldiers have also taken the wine for the importance of this mission. They are as clean as you and I.” The captain got interrupted by someone knocking on the trap door. “It’s time! The torch is lit and the gate is being opened. The other two groups are ready to act.” Whispered the man from above.

“ Finally! Give the signal to the others and let’s end this rebellion once and for all!”

• The world map of Avelaide

Here is a first version of the world map of Avelaide.
    Some changes might be made but the in general it will stay the same.
    This map is very much basic without much details. The regions (colors) does not explain the lands exactly but very vaguely since a detailed map would take unnecessarily much time to make this early.

Explanation of the colors:
    Blue: Water... duh.
    Light green: This is you could say general land that can consist of anything but is not defined by something major such as dense forest, large and many mountains and such. Forests, lakes, rivers, and mountains may still exist in these areas but are either too small to mark out or not necessary for the purpose of this map.
    Dark green: This is heavy and/or dense forest. So land where forest is the dominant defining mark. This include forests such as the Trogon forest, The great forests of Hycadroc/the forest of the lost elves/the forest of the blue river/etc.
    Yellowish: Deserts (sand or no sand) or in general. Dead land where nothing really grows.
    Brown: Mountains.
    Purple (or what that color is named): The only "swamp" large enough to be marked on the map. The Aephon line. This is the area that seperate the west Dormania from the east. This line is however not always a swamp as it varies between a forest in a river and slightly wet forest during different seasons.

The western continent is Eviera. This is where Lisakdonia and the main cities of Crastine and Legorna is located. (A map of Eviera with the cities will be uploaded at some point.)

The eastern continent is Dormania. This is where Stelladora and the Aephonaeran lands is located at the west. The east consists mostly of the great deserts, (dead land) the lands of the giants and the white mountains (only part of the mountain chain there)

The southern continent is Aekudin where Eli Bidean which has not been explored much yet. This land is mostly exotic and consists of a bunch of sandy deserts in the north and the great Bidean rainforest in the middle.

The Kalakmul are the islands down in the south west. Hundred or so islands inhabited mostly by elves and dryads but not a single human.
  • Very well done!
  • @TenebrisNemo I’ll edit it. Thanks!
  • @TenebrisNemo Sorry for misspelling Eternstor lol.
    @Jonteman93 Thanks for the map!
    @baryonyx69 @DoctorFro @Bobman111 @shadow123 @pakashara Story segment, anyone? We left off before the battle between Sylva and Nya, when Coltras, Koorir, and Zintius discovered a secret door in an alleyway. You can read that part near the top of page 39. It's part XI of Coltras's story. (I'm just tagging you five because you originally volunteered to participate in this segment. Anyone else is also welcome to join!)
  • @ShaperKyon I have very little time to do mtgcardsmith so when I do it is the required stuff or spam some cards into a contest...
    Sorry
  • edited October 2018
    @DoctorFro Okay, I shall continue to await responses…Just remember even a short sentence outlining the next plot event or action taken by Koorir is acceptable. You don't have to write giant walls of text like me by any means.

• @ShaperKyron I’m down. Might be tough for me to write anything though
  • @baryonyx69 If you just want to be a passive participant that's fine too.
  • Oh, ok. Zintius is always available for story segments, for everyone’s edification.
  • Yea u can write about Koorir basically he just does to protect people as long as he is not in danger
  • Cool, Stuff!
  • edited October 2018
    [quietly sitting in the corner waiting for someone to join my story segment]
  • The boy who met seven gods – Chapter 13: Bringing down the Kilmaeren, part 3/4

They moved swiftly but as silent as possible through the bushes that were covering the path up towards the mansion gate. A soldier stood on top of the gatehouse with a torch in his hand swinging it gently. Another group of soldiers and knights came out from the bushes on the other side of the road just outside of the wall. The gate opened and the two groups sneaked inside to the courtyard where they were met by four of the soldiers from the transport. The captain gave orders by pointing the soldiers and knights in different directions as the gate closed behind them. Some went into the auxiliary houses while others went towards the main building. The guards on top of the main building had not been taken out but the layout of the courtyard made it rather easy to avoid being seen. Basil was grouped together with Antonio and two slightly older soldiers to the east wing and an open window. The window was higher up than they could reach so they climbed up on the shoulders of the largest of the soldiers. Well up in the window they helped the fourth one up as well.

They came into a bedroom. It had two small beds so it was probably children’s bedrooms. Two voices came from the corridor outside of the room. The four sneak to the door. Antonio took off his right glove and Basil both took his left glove. They did so to not have disruptions for the spell in form of the gloves. Antonio gave directions with his fingers to Basil while listening at the door. When the voices began to move away from the door they opened it silently. The walked out rather casually toward the guards back. At unison Antonio and Basil grabbed the guards by their neck. A flash of white light from their hands later and the guards fell silent. The two moved over the bodies while the soldiers began to drag them back into the bedroom but stopped as they heard someone shouting from somewhere else in the mansion. A few seconds later a bell began to toll.
    “Well it lasted longer than expected. Now let’s handle this the real way” Antonio said as he drew his sword and began to spring down the corridor. The two soldiers also drew their swords and ran after. Basil drew his sword but paused as he looked at the two dead soldiers. They had the same type of armor as Philip’s men. Basil while holding the Flame song in his right hand channeled the flame. The blade began to glow but it was still less than what he could do with his left hand. Someone could be heard running on the floor beneath towards the stairs up towards Basil. He went behind a corner holding the sword ready in his hands. The person came up and stopped at the bodies. Basil jumped out of his cover and struck towards the person but had to forcefully force his strike into the wall as he noticed who it was.

“Whoa! Are you trying to kill me Basil!?” Rowan shouted as he drew up his shield.
    “Sorry. I thought you were a guard.” Basil apologized.
    “Be more careful next time fool! We don’t have time for this now though. We have to get going.”

Basil agreed while he picked up his shield and they ran further into the huge mansion.
    During two occasions they came in combat with guards and during both they came out successful except that one of the following soldiers got a nasty wound on his arm. They came across two of their own soldiers who helped taking care of the wounded soldier while the three continued. They came into a large room with an open fireplace that was burning. On the floor lied multiple dead soldiers and guards spread out. Many of the furniture and parts of the walls were black by burn damages. ”Ugh. moaned a lisakdonian soldier that lied just before the fireplace. The soldier that followed Basil and Rowan ran to the soldier to help him while the other two looked through the room and the bodies. “Joel! I’m here. Everything is going to be okay. I’ll bring you home.” Said the soldier as he sat down on his knees to bring up the wounded man.

A sound of something large of stone moving came from the fireplace a mere second before flames burst out over Joel and the soldier. Basil and Rowan were unable to do anything as balls of fire began to fly out towards Rowan and then Basil. Rowan got hit over his left shoulder but managed to cover behind his shield before the next ball. Basil managed to jump behind a couch before he got hit. “Kilmaeren bastard coward! Shouted Rowan in anger while the spell caster stepped out of the fire place still casting the fire balls. Basil was relatively safe but Rowan’s shield began to heat up. Basil had to do something soon. He prepared to run out of his hiding place and attack the spell caster but then a bolt of different magic flashed by and the spell caster groaned. Another bolt of lightning came from a door to the side of the room and Alice appeared. The Kilmaeren shielded himself with a spell of his own before he counterattacked her with his own fire. Rowan took the opportunity and threw his shield aside and ran towards the kilmaeren.

The spell caster was more than capable to handle them both at the same time. He threw Alice back with a force spell and threw another fire spell at Rowan who got hit directly on his helmet before he was thrown back by a force spell. He also managed to throw another spell at Basil before he could even act but then put his focus towards the door where Alice where. He threw a spell and another while the sounds of metal boots running could be heard. The kilmaeren cast another spell that was more powerful at the door where the knight that had been with the captain had appeared running towards him. The knight held his glowing sword in both hands before him which seemed to shield him from the spells. The kilmaeren did not even manage to move aside before his torso was pierced by the blade of the knight. Alice came running into the room and to Rowan who was badly wounded by the fire, unable to fight further. The knight dropped the body of the kilmaeren and looked into the hidden door inside the fire place. ”This must be it.” He said to Basil as he walked to him.

“We should wait for reinforcements.” Said Alice while she held a Rowan who tried not to moan by the burns. “You do as you want. I’m going down. Make sure to inform the captain of this location.” said the older knight before he stepped through the passage and down a spiral stair on the other side. Alice helped Rowan up over her shoulder. ”I’m taking Rowan out of here. I’ll make inform everyone.” Basil nodded to her and as she walked out of the room with Rowan, Basil stepped through the fireplace and down the spiral stairs.
This discussion has been closed.