Flash Contest! Let's Show Dechujoh64 Some Love

2»

Comments

• edited May 2018
    image image
    image image
  • edited May 2018
    Some of the new formatting, and an old ability of mine. Also a pun. People usually enjoy flavor text.

@Dechujoh64 I suggest using a site like Scryfall or Gatherer to look up printed cards similar to what your concepts are, in order to find the usual wording WOTC uses for thingies. All of the best!

Santa hates planeswalkers.

image image
  • edited May 2018
    imageimage

Both of Rhys' activated abilities do roughly the same thing (make tokens from tokens), so I changed the last one to the 'archer' ability.
  • Original___________________________Revamped
    imageimage
  • edited May 2018
    @Yururu
    Brutal Sleighing should say
    "Brutal Sleighing deals X damage to any target."
    When something says "deal X damage" I always imagine it and No Mercy's interaction - would the player be destroyed?
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 You're absolutely correct. I'll fix it once I get to my PC.
  • edited May 2018
    I'm remaking this card:
  • I am so sorry for your loss, @Dechujoh64. I hope you feel better.
  • Hey @Dechujo64–here are some of my comments:

1) Fall of the Tyrant
    imageimage

I love the name and the art on this card. You definitely got the colors and the creature kill effect right on this card. Black and red don’t get card draw bonuses usyally, so I tried to design the “Fall of the Tyrant” from the top down. Tyrants have to be strong so it kills the creature with the highest power. And the Raid ability is literally the Tyrant falling to the ground! Based on the color combo I added some pirate flavor text and voila.

2) The town called horror
    imageimage

This design was cool but is way overpowered. The self mill ability is functional with delirium but at 7 mana doesn’t really do much. I see the idea about exiling lands, which is good because black shouldn’t be able to play lands from the graveyard. This card reads: 7 mana, play every card in your graveyard which is broken in nearly any deck since delirium is easy to turn on. I balanced the card by making it mill more cards, reducing the cost and having the delirium ability be a one shot Yawgmoths will.

3) Elf of Espionage
    imageimage

In contrast to the last card, this card is underpowered. 3 mana for a 2/3 across 3 colors is just way below the bar, and the ability won’t come up too often (and hurts you). Spy abilities are difficult to cost and make appealing. I was inspired by the “elf spy” idea and made my own version of that concept. On your side, it draws you cards but on the opponents side it is a Phyrexian arena.

4) Fblthp, Royally Awkward
    imageimage

This card has a ton going on. I see the flavor you were trying to go for with the cumulative upkeep, but as a whole it doesn’t really connect to who Fblthp is as a character. He likes to work alone, hates crowds, and is an Azorious worker. Also, he is small, timid and weak. As a 2 mana 1/1 he has to have a rewarding ability, so I made him tap to draw a card. Except, the more crowded your battlefield is, the harder it is for Fblthp to draw cards.

I liked a lot of your cards, and I picked the ones I thought could use some tweaks—there were plenty of cards that I wouldn’t have changed at all. Keep up the great cardsmithing!

And a few words of parting advice:
    1) Check your templating against existing cards with similar abilities
    2) use as much flavor as you can—a lot of us Cardsmiths are vorthoses and love flavor which helps with favorites.
  • edited May 2018
    Old------------------------------------------------New
    image image
  • edited May 2018
    What do you have there, sir?
    Oh nothing, just remade someone else's card and made it slightly more broken. (in my oppinion)

[Old ---> New]
    image image
  • @bnew07 Very nice cards and comments!
  • @everyone, @mana527, @Faiths_Guide, @bnew07, @TheCenterOfTheUniverse, @Beeswax, @Yururu, @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos, @Tomigon, @Corwinnn, @Lastjustice, @Teacup and @anyoneeslewhoposts

GET A LIST OF CARDS READY TO THE EXACT AMOUNT THAT YOUR VERSION HAS AT THIS MOMENT.
    Get ready for a massive amount of favorites from me. The top three cards THAT WIN will receive the number of favorites from @sorinjace that he has posted at the beginning of this post. BUT in addition to it, the winners shall receive X number of favorites from me, that they will choose. Where X is that cards current Fave total. everyone else will be an honorable mention and receive 3 favs chosen by me.
  • edited May 2018
    This is for you @Dechujoh64:

imageimage

@Dechujoh64 - - I tried to call you and tell you about my new idea for your space fleet mechanic, it hit me on the ride back to downtown... why not make it work with Vehicles??? It felt genius to me, because I had completely forgotten about the infinite combo that was a problem with the rig mechanic when you 1st designed this card. I hope you like the new take on this creature! :)
  • edited May 2018
    Mine:________________________________Original:
    imageimage
  • Less than 12 hours to go.
  • This contest is over, no more submissions.
  • THE WINNERS OF THIS CONTEST ARE AS FOLLOWS:

In third place is @bnew07 with Yavimaya Saboteur.
    They shall receive 3 favorites from @sorinjace of their choice and for a difference of 12 favs of their choice from Me @Dechujoh64. Get that list Ready.

Making her a three-color creature still and making sorinjace's spy ability the third color was awesome.

In second place is @Corwinnn with Merciful Faerie.
    They shall receive 4 favorites from @sorinjace of their choice and for a difference of 2 favs of their choice from Me @Dechujoh64. Get that list Ready.

When I first made the card I had what Mercy does in overwatch in mind but to see her as a more realistic MTG card is awesome.

and

In FIRST PLACE is @Teacup with Eirlys, Frost Sorceress
    They shall receive 5 favorites from @sorinjace of their choice and for a difference of 11 favs of their choice from Me @Dechujoh64. Get that list Ready.

Teacup, The way you made this card was perfect. When I made the original version I really wanted menace on the card but COLOR PIE BRAKE was all the rage at that point so that's why mine is a three-color 5 drop.

Thank you for this contest @sorinjace and thank you to all of the people who entered into this contest. I will favorite the rest of the entries... and yes this did help out. Again thank you to all.
  • edited May 2018
    I looked at my card and then your card and looked at the favorites and subtracted them for the difference. I don't think that Corwinnn won't mind for the small amount of favorites from me 'cause I favorite Corwinnn's stuff most of the time when it gets to the favorites. If @Corwinn would like to be more fair I'll add 8 more favs of my choice to their list of 2 faves of their choice. to even things out.
  • @Dechujoh64

Thanks a lot! You can favorite any 15 cards from this set of mine:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/bnew07/sets/30793?page=1
  • @bnew07 which three do you want sorinjace to fave.
  • Sweet! Congrats to the winners! Post your links guys or pm the links to the cards I am to favorite for you. Thank you to all who participated and extra thank you to those who left words of encouragement for @Dechujoh64 to keep on going with his career as a cardsmith.
  • @Corwinnn and @Teacup pm me your favorite requests I am going to announce this as a closed contest.
  • **Closed**
  • Thank you! I pmed you and Dechujoh64 :)

This discussion has been closed.