OMG THIS IS MY FIRST CIRCUIT CHALLENGE OMG OMG I CAN'T BREATHE!
(Ahem. Time to compose myself. You saw nothing!)
For this challenge, I would like you to make some tribal cards, be they support or payoffs! Easy, right? You just make something like this:
Nope, sorry, not what I'm looking for.
Well, alright, you might say, how about something like this?
Nope again.Well, what kind of tribal are you even looking for anyway?
I'm looking for something like these:You've lost it now, Kalam Mekhar. These are no different from the other tribal cards.
Silence, voice in my head! Notice something common between all of these?Um, no.
They're all tribal cards that don't belong to the tribe they support! Isn't that amazing? Isn't it?
Your objective is to make a creature
card that supports a tribe with which it shares no types. Just like the above five.
Rules are the usual:
1. Cards must look like Magic cards (obviously). They must follow normal Magic syntax and structure. No joke/troll cards.
2. Cards must have tribal synergy. A card that simply creates Thopter tokens (like Sai, Master Thopterist) is not a Thopter tribal card. However, if that card can also tap three Thopters you control to bounce a creature, then it is a tribal payoff.
3. Cards must be creature cards and not share a type with any creature type they support. So even though Death Baron supports Skeletons (which it is not), it is ineligible for this contest as it also supports Zombies. Metallic Mimic does not count either.
4. Balance, balance, balance! No cards with "Other Horses you control get +8/+8 and indestructible" for three mana. Even the subtle things count: a Rat lord that gives them first strike would be quite powerful as most Rats have deathtouch and the deathtouch-first strike combo is a bit too spicy.
5. While the instinct is to make a Human, since art is readily available, I would appreciate some non-Humanoids greatly.
6. Keep it simple. I like minimalistic uncommon lords a lot, like Drogskol Captain.
7. Having said that, try to venture beyond the usual +1/+1 lord or cost reducer, or do it in a different way.
8. NEW CARDS ONLY.
9. The best tribal support cards solve issues of that particular tribe. Dinos are expensive? Otepec Huntmaster reduces their cost. Illusions are squishy? Lord of the Unreal takes care of that. Stuff like that.
Deadline is August 5.
You have exactly a month to design your best out-of-tribe tribal card. Submissions are limited to FIVE
per person (giving you the chance to make one in each colour). Prize structure is as follows (the usual CC structure):
1st: 1 Circuit Point
2nd: 3/4 Circuit Point
3rd: 1/2 Circuit Point
Honorable Mention (I will select TWO
): 1/4 Circuit Point
Alright, then! Get smithing!