Look Skyward and Despair (Short contest)

(Updated) Rules:
Must be a creature card with flying.
Must have base power and toughness 4/4 or greater.

Examples:
imageimageimage

Prizes
1st: X favorites of my choosing, where X is the number of participants.
2nd: X -1
3rd: X-2
And each winning card gets 1 favorite from -TROPHY-, and a spot in the hall of fame.

Old cards are not allowed.
Submissions due October 22

Comments

• This was Sphinx contest, but I changed it. If you have already made a Sphinx card and if it doesn't meet the new rules, PM me with the link and I'll favorite that card.
  • @DeepSky what is the maximum amount of cards allowed to be submitted please?
  • @sorinjace No maximum limit of cards.
  • @DeepSky cool ok thanks! I'll drop an entry or two here asap.
  • edited October 2018
  • edited October 2018
  • @Tomigon that is a sweet Angel!
  • edited October 2018
    Alright, here are the results!

-Third Place-
    Cloudpost Guardian by @Tomigon

-Second Place-
    Brazier Champion by @BorosPaladin

-First Place-
    Sire of the Raging Storm by @bnew07

And for those interested, here's a short review for each entry:

Demon of Torment by bnew07
    A simple and aggressive design. I think it's toughness should be 3 or 2 though, its controller would try to get benefit from its drawbacks.

Treasure-Hoard Tyrant by bnew07
    A fun concept but I don't think its ability would be triggered so often. Players would simply hold their artifacts in their hand until this Dragon leaves the battlefield.

Sire of the Raging Storm by bnew07
    Solid flavor connection between card name and mechanics. Great choice of art as well.

Ragewing by pjbear2005
    That's a terrifying crow! There are a few errors in the wording. It says "each other player", so I think you forgot to say "to a player" after "combat damage". And cards always need to say what deals damage. So "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, it deals X damage to each other player, where X is its power, rounded up." would be better. It's actually a well-balanced card because you also need to take damage. It would be fun in the game with many players.

Angel of Absolvement by sorinjace
    It's certainly a good card with right balance. But it's almost a copy of Angel of the Dire Hour except this angel is slightly worse. First strike on this angel would be often useless because its ETB ability kills big creatures before he swings his sword. And I think it should kill nonwhite creatures too. White would see all creatures as targets of justice if they attack you. Instead it could say something like "destroy each attacking creature with power 4 or greater", with less cmc, just my thought.

Chancellor of the Confined by sorinjace
    The concept is a little unclear. Maybe you cold use flavor text to explain why this Gargoyle can look at your opponents' hands and exile their graveyards. Those are not game-changing abilities and this creature can't attack. It's not a kind of card that makes people happy when they draw it from their packs. But it's a colorless, tough defender, and graveyard hate. It might save you in limited unexpectedly. I enjoy those kind of cards too.

Cloudpost Guardian by Tomigon
    I like the new custom mechanic. Giving it +1/+1 counters is very thematic and cool. And you found the good flavor to sell those ideas.

Territorial Dragon by BorosPaladin
    That's a flavorful idea. The cost reduction should be placed at the beginning(See "Bedlam Reveler"). And "flying creature" should be "creature with flying." But those are minor problems. I really like the card. I think the mana cost should be 4RW, because white hates creatures with power 4 or greater. Also because it's Shivan Dragon with only upside if it's 4RR.

Abyssal Punisher by BorosPaladin
    I love the concept, and you found a perfect art too. But this mechanic is a little intensive on gameplay experience I think. It would keep players too busy with counting mana and prevent them from having fun.

Brazier Champion by BorosPaladin
    5-mana to cast it from your graveyard seems a little cheap, but it's not easy to put this card into your graveyard. Very interesting design. I like the mana cost too. It makes it hard to build a multicolored deck for this card. If you can use blue or black, putting your cards into your graveyard is easier.

Great job everyone and thank you for participating!
  • @DeepSky

Thanks a lot! So by my count I get 4 faves, is that correct?
  • @DeepSky
    Woohoooo! Thanks for the contest and reviews!
  • edited October 2018
    @bnew07 There were 5 participants, so I favorited your 5 cards of my choosing
  • Thanks for the contest @DeepSky and the feedback was helpful. I'll have to go back and edit those creatures again to improve them. :)
This discussion has been closed.