X-MAS CONTEST 2018!

Welcome fellow cardsmiths, to X-MAS CONTEST 2018!

I have an Xciting challenge for you! Notice the similarities between these cards?

imageimageimage

Each card has X somewhere on the card. And since this contest is in the spirit of the holidays, this is your challenge:

Create a Christmas themed card with X somewhere on the card!

Here are the rules:

1) Any type of card is allowed.
2) Cards can be funny, scary, or serious!
3) New or old cards accepted! (Newer cards will have better chances of breaking ties in the event of a tie happening.)
4)Any amount of new entries is allowed.
5) Old cards a maximum of 10 only please. When you submit your cards, if your entry is an old card, please specify if your card is old. (Cards made before 11/26/18 are considered old.)
6) If any cards have an X on them it will count, otherwise it won't count! (Yes, even funny ones guys!)
7) Cards can be edited or removed from the contest before the contests deadline.
8) Cards can be made on other sites.
9) SPOTLIGHT FRIENDLY. You can drop another cardsmiths card here if it fits the criteria as your entry, but please specify who the creator of the card actually is by tagging their username with the entry.
10) Deadline for this contest is X-Mas eve, est, USA 12/24/18, in other words
11) If your entry is new and NOT christmas themed, they wont count in the judging. ONLY OLD CARDS ARE ALLOWED TO NOT BE CHRISTMAS THEMED. This is a christmas contest afterall!
12) Please credit the artist. It is not necessary, but it may give your card the extra edge it needs to win the contest!

Presents!

3rd place - 3 favorites of your choice, a trophy favorite on your card, your name on this contests trophy card, your name mentioned in the hall of fame, and your card added to X-Mas Contest 2018 set folder on sorinjace's profile!

2nd place - 4 favorites of your choice, a trophy favorite on your card, your name on this contests trophy card, your name mentioned in the hall of fame, and your card added to X-Mas Contest 2018 set folder on sorinjace's profile!

1st place - 5 favorites of your choice, a trophy favorite on your card, your name on this contests trophy card, your name mentioned in the hall of fame, and your card added to X-Mas Contest 2018 set folder on sorinjace's profile! Also...
A 1 month of premium gifted to either yourself or another cardsmith of your choice!

Honorable mentions will get 2 favorites of their choice for me to favorite!

So let's see those cards rolling in! And remember, happy holidays, and happy cardsmithing!! - sj :)

Comments

• Christmas, Christmas time is here,
    And Christmas songs you love to hear
    Thoughts of joy and hope and cheer,
    But mostly shopping, shopping, shopping

Christmas, Christmas time is here,
    The sleigh bells and the red-nosed deer
    Songs and songs we love to hear
    All played a thousand times each year

Heard this same song twenty times
    And it's only Halloween (Joy To The World)
    (I saw three ships come sailing in on Christmas Day on Christmas Day)
    It's not even cold outside (deck the halls with boughs of holly)

Christmas, Christmas time is here,
    (Hark The Herald Angels Sing)
    And Christmas songs you love to hear
    (Joy To The World)
    Thoughts of joy and hope and cheer,
    But mostly shopping, shopping, shopping

Christmas season
    Starting sooner every year
    It's October,
    Stores with plastic Christmas trees

Ransack the mall,
    Shop 'til you lose your mind
    Spike the eggnog,
    Sit back and watch Rudolph, Frosty, Tiny Tim, and Scrooge, the Grinch, or Charlie Brown

It's time...

It's time to do the Christmas can-can
    If you can't, can't dance, well, that's OK (not going to do the kick line)
    All you need is a tree, some lights about a thousand presents
    Wrap them up and pray for snow

Run to your closet
    Find your Christmas sweater
    Screaming carols all the way (fa-la-la-la-la)
    Maine all the way to California it's the Christmas can-can Halloween to Christmas day

It's the most wonderful time of year
    We're running mad with Christmas cheer
    Hey, what's troubling you, my friend?
    It's not fair if you're Jewish, Jewish (not fair if you're Jewish, Jewish)

Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel
    I made it out of clay
    You realize that Christmas ain't the only holiday

Hey, he's right who made these laws?
    Look! Wait! Here comes Santa Claus, Santa Claus, Santa Claus, Santa Claus, Santa Claus (Santa, Santa, Santa, Santa, Santa, Santa, Santa, Santa) (Guys? Guys!)

Hey, Santa do the can-can
    Help them if you can-can
    Join in the parade
    (I'm gonna go grab some Chinese food)
    All you need is a tree, some lights about a thousand presents
    Wrap them up and pray for snow

Run to your closet
    Find your Christmas sweater
    Screaming carols all the way (fa-la-la-la-la)
    France all the way to Indiana
    It's the Christmas can-can
    That's the end

Wait for our ending
    We should share this holiday
    Hava Nagila happy Hanukkah to you,
    A happy Hanukkah to you, a happy Hanukkah to you
    A merry Christmas, Hanukkah and also Kwanzaa.
    Merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, and merry Kwanzaa, too
  • Ok! As unlimited entries are allowed, may as well go back and find a bunch of my old stuff that uses X...

imageimageimageimage

• edited November 2018
    imageimageimage
  • edited November 2018

Can't believe I am doing this. But even devils can celebrate good times >_<. Couldn't resist.
  • You know what. @Aggroman15 the cards you dropped aren't very christmas related, but I guess I can change that in the rules since this is kind of unique for a contest. so ok update on the rule:

If you have any OLD cards with X in the converted mana cost OR the activation cost of an ability on the card, I will allow it SO LONG AS THEY ARE OLD. If they are new and not christmas themed, they wont count in the judging.

That said, that means sadly I need to put a limit on the old entries. There will be a limit of 10 old cards, and new is still unlimited. I will be updating the rules here asap. Thank you for kicking this contest off with some great cards so far guys!!
  • edited November 2018
    New, "transform" card. I found the artworks reimagining Santa interesting.

Bonus points if you get the historical reference. It's quite explicit.

image image

Edit: I made these using mtgcardsmith. There's a little rant on the comments about the Planeswalker card creator: Ivnan is supposed to be b/r as well, but the Planeswalker Golden frame is terrible (heh).

Spotlighting @Yururu 's Brutal Sleighing

• @Lowlander

I think I know it! Ivnan is Ivan the Terrible and I'm pretty sure Rukir is supposed to be Rurik (He built the Homeguard settlement I think it was called in the 800s) He was also the father of Igor of Kiev (Aka Igor I) who ruled Kievan Rus in the early 900s.

Sorry I'm a history nerd.
  • Oh. I apparently skipped over the part in the rules that said "Christmas themed," so yeah. I will probably be dropping some actually Christmas related card sometime later.
  • edited November 2018
    What screams "Christmas Break" more than cramming for all the finals that start the week you get back to school?

• @pjbear2005 Damn righto friend :)
  • @Lowlander

Haha my hours of time online reading about random history has finally paid off!
  • edited November 2018
    Entry one and two! Art for this is rather hard to find... But I made it work. Together, at that!

imageimage

• Please check out @murkletins hug promotional discussion/contest if you want further advertising for your contest(s): http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4033/welcome-the-hugs-contest-enter-your-contests-challenges/p1
  • My first cards were Christmas-y, but I don't know whether they have X in them. Can I submit them?
  • I present my FIRST magic card!!!!
  • The pie had been cut to pieces... and promptly eaten by the guests at a Christmas party.
  • edited November 2018
    X is mandatory yes @Ranshi922. Old cards can get away with not being Christmasy, but new ones must be Christmas themed. Max of 10 old and no max on new. When u drop cards if it's old please say so. Thanks!
  • edited December 2018
    New cards!
    image image image

Ten Old ones with X effects....

image image image image image image image image image image

• @Lastjustice so many entries! Lol

Do you hear what I hear doesn't fall under the contest rules by way of X on the card not being in either the cmc or an activated ability cost. Otherwise, I like the card and the other entries so far!!
  • edited November 2018
    "Do you hear what I hear doesn't fall under the contest rules by way of X on the card not being in either the cmc or an activated ability cost."

Ugh. I saw has X, deals with Xmas, and my mind went from there. I really feel like this should count , as it's an ability, just a triggered one.(Which is the case with couple of the other cards I included in my ten older ones.) You'll get more variety if you allow that sort of thing. I didn't want to just make an X spell that made gremlins since release the gremlins already exists. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=423763

I put too much thought into that to smash an X into it just make it legal. I even got the flavor of gremlins stealing cars, because they totally do that. I am not going jack up this card then. I like it the way it is.

• Ah, no problem. @Lastjustice I'll let it slide and adjust the rules once more, basically the card just has to have x somewhere now :) I get it man, I get it :)
  • Thank you for being @sorinjace flexible, as I felt like I got the spirit of the law right. Had you been like rules are rules, I'd just left it alone either way. Which had it been a circuit challenge I wouldn't faulted you for sticking your guns. Heck I wouldn't have even asked at that point.
  • edited November 2018
    @Lastjustice I'm flexible if nothing else. I just want people to have fun that's why there's no limit this time around on new entries, but I do have to keep the rest of the contest the way it is.
  • OOOOHHHHH! I feel like an idiot... I ONLY NOW got why you want x in the card... ****
  • Old Cards:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Um, @Rabshi922 are those entries? Because if so, your only allowed up to 10 max of old entries can you slim it down to ten? Thanks. Let's see some new cards too!! ;)
  • edited December 2018
This discussion has been closed.