I'm just getting out of the Great Cardsmith Designer Search by @bnew07
where we had a closed contest à la GDS, and it was a lot of fun. I wanted to offer a similar experience to everyone that couldn't participate (which includes bnew07 themselves), and revisit some of the original challenges of GDS3 that we skipped. So I created...
Welcome to the HALF-Great Designer Search 3 =D The premise of this contest is simple:
1) It follows the original GDS3 challenges
. You can find the original challenges HERE!
2) You only need to design half the cards
compared to the original rules (usually going from 8-10 to 4-5 cards). I adapted the rules accordingly.
3) A little twist
has been added to each challenge so people who followed the GDS3 can't come too prepared.
4) No elimination
, you can skip any round or jump in at any moment.
Without further ado, let's jump to the first phase:
__________HALF-CHALLENGE 1: THE MULTICOLOUR GRID
You can find the rules of the original challenge HERE
, and additional rules information HERE!
I took them and cut them in half:THE HALF-RULES:
1) You must design 5 cards.
2) All the cards will be two-color and each color must appear exactly twice.
3) Design one card of each of the following card types: creature, enchantment, instant, sorcery, and planeswalker.
4) The following card types cannot share the same color: planeswalker and creature, instant and sorcery. For instance, if you design a white/blue planeswalker card, your creature card cannot be either white or blue.
5) Each rarity must be represented at least once (common, uncommon, rare, mythic rare).
6) You are allowed access to all evergreen keywords and deciduous mechanics (hybrid, double-faced cards, split cards, etc.). Please do not create any new named keyword mechanics and do not use old block keyword/ability word mechanics.
7) Submit your cards in order of quality of design from what you consider your best design (first) to what you consider your worst design (last).
But that's not all. To prevent people who already did the full original challenge from having too much of a head start, I added... a twist.
7) Each cardsmith who wants to participate will receive A RANDOM SET OF FIVE TWO-COLOURS COMBINATION
. To know which colour combinations you have to design, take the first letter of your username on this forum and look at the table below. For instance, my username is ningyounk, I look at the letter N, I would have to design the following five cards: WU - UB - BG - RG - RW.
Here are some additional information for the contest:OLD CARDS ARE:
Allowed, as long as they fit within the restrictionsFORMAT:
Design cards for an undefined Standard-legal setTEXT-ONLY CARDS ARE:
Allowed, but you must link the illustration that would go with it. Try to make the card image happen if you can, but I understand there are some difficult cases like phone users that don't have access to the "Make planeswalker" option or if you have an idea that would require a specific frame and you can't make it work on Magic Set Editor or Photoshop. If you contact me by private message, I might be able to help you render simple stuff like 4-abilities planeswalkers, vehicles, split cards etc. depending on the time I have ^^DEADLINE:
[EDIT: POSTPONED] Saturday, February 02REWARD:
- 1st place — 5 favourites of their choice
- 2st place — 3 favourites of their choice
- 3st place — 1 favourite of their choice
Now remember, this challenge is all about digging up your best designs in a vacuum and twisting them to fit all those restrictions ;) Last little tip to you all: instead of a grid, I highly recommend putting your colours in a cycle to know which slots are still available to which card types as you fill in the connections between the colours.
Let the Half-Great Designer Search begin! =D