[RESULTS] The HALF-Great Designer Search 3 — Challenge 2: You Might As Well Tribal

Comments

• edited February 2019
    @Corwinnn
    That came out of nowhere! You didn't even tell us which existing card would receive errata. XD
  • My chosen creature type was Phyrexian. MaRo is on record saying that it is probably too late to use Phyrexian as a creature type, but that in retrospect it should have been used throughout Scars of Mirrodin block. The Phyrexians are disease personified as a fictional race, and R&D assigned four key traits of Phyrexians that define them: toxic, virulent, adaptive, and relentless. I themed each of my entries around one of these traits. One note is that because the Phyrexians have significant story implications, I designed my cards to go into a generic set that would realistically include them rather than a truly generic, flavor neutral set.

Gift of Completion was designed to demonstrate the phyrexian's toxicity. At common, toxicity is best portrayed as deathtouch. This card functions as a playable combat trick on any creature and as an above average trick that can always destroy a creature without risking yours.

Predatory Sporemaw was designed to demonstrate the Phyrexian's virulence. Trample synergizes with its proliferate ability. I chose to use proliferate as it is really the glue that holds the Phyrexians together mechanically and represents them as a disease. In limited, this card is good on its own but shines when you can support it with other Phyrexian creatures, particularly if you curve out.

Obelisk of Repurposing was designed to demonstrate the Phyrexian's adaptability. The phyrexians are more than willing to convert their resources to another form that better suits their aims to adapt to whatever threat or goal is at hand. This card can proliferate multiple time with only a small opportunity cost. The fact that this can synergize with chump blocking ups it’s power level a good bit as well as it’s functional complexity.

Deathseeker was designed to represent the Phyrexian's unrelenting nature. It keeps coming back as long as you have other expendable phyrexians for it to cannibalise, and it comes back stronger each time. I was careful to not use +1/+1 counters and to reference poison counters on this card as Phyrexian’s are more likely to use -1/-1 counters and both would never appear in the same set. Similarly, Phyrexians are strongly associated with infect which uses poison counters so this has natural synergy in an environment with infect.
  • edited February 2019
    @bnew07
    Stellar submission! Really cool designs. Only disappointment is that you used Scourge Servant artwork. ;)
  • @Faiths_Guide

Thanks a lot! The source I got that art from didn’t label it as an existing Mtg card and I had never seen that card before. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Great work! Makes me want to add descriptions to my cards as well.
  • @Corwinnn
    Haha, you didn't lie when you told me no one would ever take your creature type anyways XD Do you have a card you would errata to Geisha? I know there are a bunch of possible options from Kamigawa.
  • @bnew07
    Always happy to help!
  • edited February 2019
    Well, I suppose I could've taken the "hunter" tact here since centipedes are well versed hunters that will eat many different living things. Instead, I've approached these guys from a Golgari angle in theme with their colors. The synergies all lie around death triggers, graveyards, sacrifice, etc. I've additionally linked them to lands since both green and black seem to care about them. Lastly, I wanted to give these guys modal options where possible to play off the fact that they have so many independent limbs--please ignore formatting periods.

Needed a reliable sac outlet.

Found a brilliant quote for Fulminator-pede.

Black and green options for up to once per turn.

Yeah I'm supposed to design for a standard legal set, but I still wanted a "Centimmander" ;)
    This guy has some hidden flavor text that can only be found on his card page!

Centipedes are really fun and I've a only scratched the surface.
    They make great red creatures and artifact creatures too (and I found some cool art)!
  • I've made a slight wording correction thanks to @Bowler218, thank you!
  • @Ningyounk @Faiths_Guide.... I'll be adding my Storyline and Erata shortly.. I was tired and went to bed early!
  • Submission updated!
  • @Ranshi922 That's so helpful! Thank you for your feedback!
  • edited February 2019
    My submission! Wyverns, hunters of the night.

Why I picked the colours I did?

Red - Wyvern Fury
    Blue - Cunning Hunter
    Black - Wyverns think only of themselves.

Theme of the tribe? Wyverns are natural born hunters and thus often have the ability to directly fight other creatures OR benefit from combat between two creatures (blocking or direct fighting)

Wyverns also can work in packs (Some creatures will benefit from having other Wyverns on the battlefield) but anyone else trying to benefit from them (Like the equipment I've shown) will have a drawback to it.
  • @SmallJem I feel like saying that Wyverns think only of themselves is a bit extreme and overly generalized. After all, you could say the same for humans! XD

@ningyounk, I have a question about the spell. Does it have to be a tribal spell / specifically beneficial to that creature type or can it simply align flavorfully with it while being generically useful?
  • edited February 2019
    Am I too late? I've never done a design challenge here before so forgive my inexperience.

If not too late, I'd like to claim Viking, and errata the below cards:
    image image image
  • @LuckyLooter
    I don't think you can be too late to enter, only too late to submit (but you're still before the deadline).

Also, I think there are many creatures that could have errata to Viking, but I'm not sold on the Looter or the Conscripts as being good choices. The Berserker does seem like a good one however.
  • @LuckyLooter, I agree with @Faiths_Guide. The Marauding Looter is a fairly accurate representation of colonial piracy; burning and pillaging. The Zealous Conscripts seem like it's just a fighter that's a little too bloodthirsty, but not like like a Viking.
  • edited February 2019
    Interesting... maybe I have a different concept of Vikings since Marauding Looter seems absolutely spot-on for what I have in mind. I think Raid and Explore are ideal mechanics for the tribe, but will just stick with Explore for this challenge.

I do still want to stick with a U/R tribe for the sailing warriors trope, and here are my entries:
  • edited February 2019
    @LuckyLooter
    I think your submissions are quite good, definitely hitting on the viking vibe.

The reason that Marauding Looter doesn't fit, IMO, is mostly an art thing. Both Pirates and Vikings are fond of marauding and looting, to be sure, but Marauding Looter is quite obviously a Pirate and not a Viking when taking artwork into account. For this reason it is extremely unlikely that it would have errata.

Zealous Conscripts, similarly, is not garbed in anything like convincing Viking regalia.
  • edited February 2019
    @LuckyLooter, I would recommend remaking the Rioda, Daughter of Ravens with the Dual Blue/Red Legendary frame.

I am providing recommendations in the comment sections.
  • @Ranshi922 I did not see that option while first making the card, I have fixed it now though and looks much better. Thank you!
  • edited February 2019
    @LuckyLooter, oof. I just finished making the grammatical suggestions for it.

Specify bird and viking creatures. With tribal things, there are some instances where things could get hairy.
  • edited February 2019
    @Ranshi922
    I checked the original challenge to make sure, and all cards care specifically about the chosen creature type. So, in the spirit of the original challenge, all cards must care mechanically about the creature type you chose, they cannot simply be the creature type, and they cannot simply be a flavour treatment on a spell that mechanically doesn't care about that specific creature type.

@LuckyLooter
    You're not too late =) Viking works!
  • @Ranshi922 I have to disagree with that change for two reasons. One, precendence:
    image image image

Two, I specified combat damage and only creatures are capable of dealing combat damage.
  • edited February 2019
    @LuckyLooter, Touché.

@ningyounk, *whining tone* Pleeeeaaaaase!
  • @Ranshi922
    Sorry ;) As I said, I checked the original challenge and every single entry had the name of the chosen creature type written on it. I'm sure you can twitch whatever you have in mind just a little to make it fit ^^
  • @ningyounk, do I have to order them from best to worst, like last time?
  • @Ranshi922
    No, for this challenge it's not required to order the cards from best to worst. You can do it if you want to, though I'd suggest presenting them in the order that makes your tribe look the most exciting ^^
  • Ummmm....
  • I am just going to sort in ascending order of rarity.
This discussion has been closed.