Challenger's Contest 1: The Dragon's Hoard

Men, women, and assorted cephalopods, I am back, returned, once again present in your midst. Sacrifice your thoughts of hatred, for I have not returned to cause displeasure and regret in the minds of the gathered masses. I have returned to participate once more in this community that I hope is as beautiful as it always was.

I'm going to run a little contest. People like competition, especially people like you. Yes, you. You're reading this textblock of a competition rules sheet right now, aren't you? The competition will be judged after one week (on the preapproved day of Friday, March 8). That means you only have seven short days to get your cards created and posted, so what are you doing? Get crafting, you crafty crafters! On second thought, you should probably read the actual rules.

This is the first contest in a series of contests I will be running weekly, if all goes well. The series is called Challenger's Contest (original, I know. If you have better ideas for names, toss 'em out there). The topic this week is 'The Dragon's Hoard'!

To participate, just leave a comment with the link to up to three of your custom MTGCardsmith cards. You can change your entries, whichever three cards are the most recent from you in the comments section will be the ones up for judging.
The criteria for entries are as follows:
-Must be something that could be found in a fabled hoard of a fabled dragon! This does not include dragons, as that would be somewhat even more brainless than this competition already is.
-Must be a card you created on or after 2/28/2019.
-Must not be a joke card (it can be humorous, but try to make a card you could actually see printed in a non-unset.)
-Must credit the artist.
Cards will be judged based on:
-Creativity
-Flavor
-Balancing
-Wording
You don't need to have perfect dev-team-level wording, but at least try. If you're not sure how something should be worded, I know from experience that the community here on MTGCardsmith is very helpful with how to word cards and will hasten to help you if you ask.
-Templating
I love seeing people create cards. What I don't love seeing is words running off the textbox and templating that would never make it to a paper Magic card. Less consideration will be given to cards with bad templating.
-Art choice

Simple enough, right? Now for prizes, as I'm sure you hungry, hungry homarids love those.
Prize support:
1st Place: A favorite on the winning card, plus a favorite on 4 cards of their choice! Can be your own or someone else's. Two esteemed entries in the first Champion's Challenge invitational challenge.
2nd Place: A favorite on the winning card, plus a favorite on 2 cards of their choice! At least one must be someone else's (show some love). An esteemed entry in the first Champion's Challenge invitational challenge.
3rd Place: A favorite on the winning card. An extra entry in the next week's Challenger's Contest.

And that's it. Start brewing ideas in those big fat heads of yours, and I look forward to seeing what cards you come up with!
-N_B

Comments

• edited March 2019
    @darthampersand Very interesting cards, I like the colored artifacts, and they're perfect for the theme!

Crystal of the Cosmos is a really neat idea, but if anything it's a little underpowered for a rare. The effect isn't bad at all, and it could get bonkers with proliferate or something manipulating charge counters, but maybe the mana cost could be less restrictive. Since it doesn't do anything without kicker, maybe you could make the Artifact cost 0. Also, maybe a kicker cost of 1U to make it more playable in multicolor decks? Just my thoughts.

I really like Dragonkin Blade, and the flavor text made me smile. Simple, but elegant pretty much frames this card. Artist didn't get credit, so it is not a valid entry, but I still like the card. Where did you find the image?
  • Y'all just gonna let this boy be the only entry?
  • Ah, the moment when somebody asks a question like that and you're in the middle of making a card for the contest.

I'm not sure whether this really fits the criteria, but hey. We'll see.
  • @MemoryHead I'll count it. It's all about going into dangerous territory to get your grubby hands on a powerful artifact. It seems really powerful for the mana cost, but at the same time, the delay requires that two of your better creatures die, so it seems balanced to me. It could be really good in a deck with other equipment to boost the power of your smaller creatures above 4.
  • "up to three of your custom MTGCardsmith cards" Will you take cards from Magic Set Editor? I have two ideas, but they involve templates that MTGC doesn't have.
  • @Hergusbergus That's fine, I just won't be able to favorite them is all.
  • edited March 2019
    This message has been deleted.
  • @Hergusbergus I like them, especially Opozii Retreat. The other two seem like they just take way too long to get going and don't do enough once they do. Also I'm not sure these cards are something you could find in a dragon's hoard. I'll let Incubation Keep count but not the other two. If you want to make more though go ahead! I love seeing these cards! :)
  • edited March 2019
    @Nicholas_Bolas I completely missed the point of a hoard and will scrap these cards and make new ones. Sorry.
  • edited March 2019

• edited March 2019
    Welcome back @Nicholas_Bolas! You have been sorely missed.

• "and assorted cephalopods"

THE AZORUIS SENATE WILL DECIDE YOUR FATE
  • edited March 2019
    @Mantis17 Should Infinity Bent either be legendary or not have a legendary border? Also, it's worth noting that instants and sorceries never enter the battlefield unless you do some weird shenanigans with manifesting them and then forcing them face up, but even then I'm not sure it counts as them entering. Maybe you meant "Whenever an instant or sorcery an opponent controls resolves"?
  • @Hergusbergus I like the idea of showing the actual Dragon's Hoard. You can enter up to three cards if you'd like to and if you have time.

@Mantis17 Same as above, and also, Infinity Bent is a cool idea, but like MemoryHead says, it doesn't actually currently work as you want it to. Also, I'm not sure how on-topic it is. I've had a few entires like this already, and I'll probably do a more definable theme for my next week's contest.

@Temurzoa Aw thanks! Glad to be back! :)
  • You guys only have three more days to enter, and I only have five people entered, none of whom have entered the maximum number of cards for the competition. You guys are gonna make this really easy for me lol
  • @Nicholas_Bolas
    I'll try and get in on this.
  • @Faiths_Guide That would be awesome! What happened to all of the others from back when I was here?
  • In a Dragon's hoard, you could find....

A cursed weapon, perhaps...

Or a goblin too small for the beast to notice...

Or even more treasure than you could possibly imagine...
  • What kind of dragon are we talking about?
  • edited March 2019
    @Bowler218
    I'm pretty sure it is this kind:

Oh, and by the way, Omar Rayyan is incredible 0_0
  • @bnew07 Great cards! I love the scaling power of these cards turn-to-turn, and they're all spot-on in terms of fitting for the contest!

@Bowler218 Exactly what Faiths_Guide showed. Think a greedy, avaricious dragon that spends his entire very long life accumulating riches and treasures and anything he finds interesting in a giant hoard, and guarding it fiercely.

Also, I saved Omar Rayyan's page! I need to use some of that art! :D
  • So like most chromatic dragons? Red, black, blue and green would probably have some sort of treasure pile-- but each color of dragon would have different types of treasure. So are we talking coins like a red dragon (think Smaug from The Hobbit) or something else?
  • edited March 2019
    @Bowler218

(In other words, the choice is up to you.)
  • @Bowler218
    @darthampersand and @hergusbergus both have entries that definitely seem to come from the hoards of blue dragons, not red ones. Be creative! It doesn't have to be straight Smaug! If you're thinking MTG Chromatically, any five of the colors will work as the dragon in mind!
  • edited March 2019
    Yes! Still time to enter!
  • edited March 2019
  • @ Nicholas_Bolas I am sadly unable to find the artist for Dragonkin Blade, this is what happens when you don't sort your art hoard properly.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/clutch-of-kazratha

Idk if this counts, as you did say no dragons, although while this is technically a dragon, it's really a dragon's egg. The flavor is meant to be as if some foolish adventurer's stole the eggs from a legendary dragon and are now being hunted by said dragon and their family.
  • edited March 2019
    @darthampersand
    Dragonkin Blade's art was difficult to track down. I found it on UjgurDS's DeviantArt.
This discussion has been closed.