Commander / EDH Recommendations?

If you play commander, do you have any recommendations on fun/quirky generals. Or do you have any decklists that are fun for multiplayer games, and still have a chance at winning?

Currently I'm using the following generals:
Edric, Spymaster (unblockable funtimes)
Brion Stoutarm (pump and throw)
Teneb, the Harvester (your creature? my creature.)

Show us what you got!

Comments

• Merieke Ri Berit
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=merieke+ri+berit
    is demon with a bunch of untagging cards and sacrificing mechanics.XD

• OMG I have that card! From Ice Age!
  • edited March 2015
    Typo in my first comment. *untagging in my first comment is *untapping...

Wow! I first saw her in "Timeshift" set! I didn't know that she is that old :D
  • Nice, I also like that three color combo, tons of control options there. Thanks @Tomigon!
  • edited March 2015
    A potentially less cut-throat version of the strategy could be built around Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant-colored).

(Fun fact: the card was originally supposed to be named "Soulsigner", in accordance with the art, but that was incorrectly thought to be a typo during editing, and was printed before the mistake was caught.)

One of my favorite generals to play out of the few that I have is Roon of the Hidden Realm. I love blink and I love Bant, so there you are. Bonus points for being able to hand Roon a Sigil of Distinction and swing in with trample for an alternate win con, all while still being able to either exile blockers or reset your ETB's thanks to his vigilence.
  • That was a sweet fact @Memnarchitect and I agree with your play style. Bant Power!

Something else that I did once, and just the once because it worked the very first game and I wanted to preserve that legacy. I never imagined it would work the first time out but there were enough tutors and draw to get to get there. Anyway...

Horobi, Death's Wail
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=78854

As a Commander, he allows for lots of shenanigans. And turns stuff like this guy:
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=121222
    into a direct kill.

Now add Endless Whispers - Hijinks ensues.
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=50129
    So Horobi just sticks around.

Then drop Phage, the Untouchable when you have a way to kill her. I know that's a tall order in this deck...
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=382324

When you get this combo to work, you can go "Ping!" all the way around the table as you choose a new person to give her to.
  • I used my Brion Stoutarm commander in a five way game and won. Ha ha. Took out the last two opponents with a moltensteel dragon that I pumped and swung for killing damage, and then chucked it at the other player, ha ha. It was pretty sweet.

I really enjoy using Doran, the Siege Tower as a commander. The colours are perfect for whatever the hell you want, and the board altering effect makes for friend and foe alike. I mainly ran it as a defender/wall deck (including Tree of Redemption, cause who doesn't love a 13/13, effectively, for 4 mana.) and treefolk. But given the white black green combo, there are just a ton of potential for control, creature, and defense.

My third commander deck that I have. (I usually make a couple commander decks, then disband them, lather, rinse, repeat. These three are usually always built.) is my Scion of the Ur-Dragon. Another instant kill one on one, but way more fun in a multiplayer game. Though, when people see Scion as a commander, it's usually a pretty big bullseye given his potential for instant kills.(Moltensteel dragon, any firebreathing dragon and Skithiryx, and Dragon Tyrant are pretty easy to pull off.) And considering the deck is just land, graveyard interactions and dragons, it ramps really quickly, even for needing the WUBRG casting cost of Scion.

I tend to look at a commander in terms of "How can I eff up the board while still keeping everyone interested" instead of going for the win. Scion was the only one that I made to win, because I was told WUBRG is stupid for commander, cause it's too hard to run effectively or consistantly.

Shenanigans, that's what commander is all about.
  • @Looverse

.... that's absolutely diabolical.

When her controller loses the game, she gets returned to her owner's graveyard, which counts as dying. And because you control Endless Whispers, you can't get stuck with her yourself.

I would love to have been there once everyone realized what was about to happen.

@Suicidal_Deity

I've always wanted to make a Doran deck. Especially now that DTK introduced another tech card for him (The green one that's another source of Doran's signature effect plus extra utility)

And I love toolbox strategies, so Scion's been on my radar, but I've never really considered going for a build. Maybe someday.
    (By the way, does anyone else see the parallel between Scion of the Ur-Dragon and Sliver Overlord?)

I totally agree about the shenanigans.
    I don't just want to win, I want to win with as many shenanigans as I can manage. And that's what makes me a Timmy (With a bit of Johnny for using tech outside of just staples).

I may be a Spike in other games, but Magic-- that's my Timmy's playground.
  • Step 1: Shiro, Shizo's Caretaker.
    Step 2: Shadowborn Apostle*. Thrumming Stone optional.
    Step 3: Demons to taste.
    Step 4: Cackle with glee, drunk on power.

Works with Grave Pact, works with Mortician Beetle, works with Blood Artist. It's just a real party, honestly. Probably the most fun EDH deck I've ever played.

*Commander is a singleton format, but the rules text overrides this, as per CR 101.1, and confirmed here. http://forum.dragonhighlander.net/EDH_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=127&start=17
  • @Memnarchitect

Assault formation I believe.

Scion can be fun, and can be an instant win too. Moltensteel Dragon is instant win. Skithiryx plus any firebreathing is an instant win. Dragon Tyrant is a near instant win.

He's got a bunch of potential.
  • edited March 2015
    @Suicidal Deity
    I'd probably leave out the cheesy instant win cards if I could and just play with my favorite dragons.

And yes, I just looked it up and it is Assault Formation. Defender deck seems interesting. Now, if only I could run Wall of Denial in that deck (But Wall of Tanglecord as a 6/6 with reach for 2 to play and G to activate seems awesome there!) Just have to make sure that you have enough ways to bypass defender if you run a lot of defenders over other guys with higher toughness than power.
This discussion has been closed.