Wacky Ability Words
Ability words are words on MTG cards that connect cards with similar mechanics together. These are abilities that do not give specific effects such as lifelink and vigilance (keyword abilities), but rather they group similar abilities together. Examples of these are Undergrowth
("~ enters the battlefield with...for each creature card in your graveyard...") and Constellation
("When ~ or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control...").
Here, I want you to come up with some wacky ideas for ability words! These do not necessarily have to be jokes, but maybe just abilities that can result in interesting plays. If the ability clearly isn't a joke, explain why you think it's wacky!
- A maximum of 3 entries per person.
- Submit a minimum of 3 cards in a given entry to show how the ability word can be used.
- Make sure the colors reflect the ability, such as Undergrowth
appearing only in BG due to interacting with the graveyard in the manner that it does. Of course, some like Constellation
can fit all 5 colors because the color depends on what happens when that creature or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control. Hope I explained that well!
- I would prefer new cards, but if you have a really wacky ability word that you made a while ago and would like to enter it, go ahead! You could always make new cards with it, though :P
- Don't use artwork from real MTG cards—get creative!
- Please mark any card with a silver border and as part of a joke set (Unglued) if needed.
- Proper formatting for the whole card (no words running off the card, use correct grammar, etc.) is a necessity (specifically for the ability italicize
it and follow it with a hyphen (-) or two (--) since em dashes (—) don't render on cards.
- 5 points for creativity.
- 5 points for the artwork chosen.
- 10 points for functionality (Is it able to interact with the game well? Joke cards can still do this—they just might interact with it in an absurd way!), including choosing appropriate color(s). They don't necessarily have to be "balanced" per se, but just able to interact with the game. Huzzah!
- 10 points for grammar and formatting.
- 10 points for the flavor (Does it feel alive rather than just some card? This includes flavor text, so if you cannot fit any on your card, just include it in your post!). This includes the sheer absurdity of the card, and your ability to get me to laugh will help score here!30 possible points
- 30-34 points
: A favourite on the entry cards. #c73
- 35-36 points
: A favourite on the entry cards and 1 card of your choice. #ea7
- 37-38 points
: A favourite on the entry cards and 2 cards of your choice. #77c
- 39 points
: A favourite on the entry cards and 3 cards of your choice. #99c
- 40 points
: A favourite on the entry cards, on 4 cards of your choice, and a follow. #da2
Many cards may end up scoring 30 points, but after the end of the contest, I will select my favourite entry out of those that do, and design a card based around the person who entered that card. If you want to, feel free to drop a little bit about you with your entry so that I can design a card that (hopefully) gives you a good laugh and that fits you!
I didn't feel like making a third card, but y'all get the gist.
Have fun! I'll leave the contest open until 00:00 (12:00 AM) on June 15th, EST.