Planeswalker's Journey 2.5: The Return of the Return

Comments

• The demon wasn't prepared to find someone with equal strength, who held no regard for his own life and attacked him without a second thought.

• @Aggroman15 I'm going to voluntarily drop from this. I came in with a half-baked mechanic that I subsequently modified heavily and so I'm now here working with what's effectively an unbalanced first draft. I'm certain it won't carry through to the end and I don't want to work with the mechanic in that form anyway, so I'm out.
  • edited July 2019
    M-P faces a terrifying junk demon that is too powerful for them to take on, so they reboot some fallen robots to hold off the demon as they make their escape.

Slots left:
    Common: 1
  • Ok, I'm back from my camping trip and the results should be coming out later tonight! In the meantime, I have some things to answer to!

@EmolgAn You asked if your card from last week counted for your uncommon slot, and I don't understand. You submitted 3 starting cards, and then submitted 2 cards for last week's challenge, bringing you to all of your slots used. If there's something I'm missing here, please tell me.

@MemoryHead Well, I'm sorry to see you go, but if you've decided you don't want to continue I can't stop you. Goodbye, and good luck in other contests and sagas you may enter!

Anyways, like I said, the results will be posted later today, so @ThatOneCat and @ASubtleGhost, you two have not entered any submission to this challenge, so if you still wish to use the slot for the challenge instead of saving it, I suggest you do so quickly. You by no means have to, just a friendly reminder.
  • @Aggroman15 check again at the end of the fourth page.
  • @ThatOneCat Oops. Must have missed that one. Sorry.
  • It’s fine.
  • @EmolgAn I am, for now, counting your submission as a rare, as you currently have no uncommon slots left. If you want to edit your submission to be rare power level in the next few days I will change the grade, but after that, it's set.

Next challenge will be up in a bit once I'm done grading everything.
  • This night, you once again feel a strange presence at the place where you sleep. You fall asleep, and are transported into the dream realm. The Spark-Eater Snake appears before you with one simple message:

One competitor has been eliminated, and one has quit. 10 of you remain.
  • edited July 2019
    Now, it's time to share who has been sadly eliminated from the journey this week.

Zafik, Ghost of Past Ages ( @ASubtleGhost) has been eliminated and whisked to some random place on a random plane.

The main reason you were eliminated was probably because you didn't really participate in the challenges and use the slots you were given. It's important to do the challenges because if you don't you run the risk of being eliminated. Anyways, I wish you luck in other contests and sagas you may enter, and feel free to continue following this journey if you so please!

The Standings

After eliminations, I will be showing the standings so that you can see how close you are to being eliminated, and how many slots you have left. In later challenges I will also show the standings as of the last elimination to showcase any change in the ranks.

The rankings as they currently stand: (I try my best to fairly grade all cards based on the criteria stated at the beginning)

(Rank: Username - Planeswalker - Points - Remaining Open Slots)
    1st: @ThatOneCat - Nai, Lost Artificer - 73 Points - No Slots
    2nd: @HeroKP - Bagej, Eternity Feeder - 71 Points - No Slots
    3rd: @EmolgAn - Mayora, Vigorous Blaze - 69 Points - No Slots
    4th: @Murkletins - Mercy, Beyond Blood - 65 Points - No Slots
    5th: @Spookoops - Lord Drakemor - 62 Points - 1 Common Slot
    6th: @MonkeyPirate2002 - M-P Mk. 2002 - 60 Points - 1 Common Slot
    7th: @Vardrus - Vardrus, Scion of Wrath - 59 Points - 1 Rare Slot
    8th: @Sanjaya666 - Vulganos, Exiled Shadow - 57 Points - 1 Common Slot
    9th: @KorandAngels - La'Ayiv, White One - 54 Points - 1 Rare Slot
    10th: @Red_Tower - Redrewt, Saberpunk - 52 Points - 1 Common Slot and 1 Rare Slot
    11th: @MemoryHead - Nico, Partyheart - 34 Points - LEFT
    12th: @ASubtleGhost - Zafik, Ghost of Past Ages - 31 Points - ELIMINATED

LAST WEEK'S SCORES

Every week, I will provide the scores as of the end of the last week's challenge to easily see what changes have happened. Not much movement on the leaderboard this week, but I'm sure we'll see some people going up and down next challenge!

1st: @ThatOneCat - Nai, Lost Artificer - 62 Points
    2nd: @HeroKP - Bagej, Eternity Feeder - 61 Points
    3rd: @EmolgAn - Mayora, Vigorous Blaze - 59 Points
    4th: @Murkletins - Mercy, Beyond Blood - 56 Points
    5th: @Spookoops - Lord Drakemor - 52 Points
    6th: @MonkeyPirate2002 - M-P Mk. 2002 - 50 Points
    7th: @Vardrus - Vardrus, Scion of Wrath - 49 Points
    8th: @Sanjaya666 - Vulganos, Exiled Shadow - 47 Points
    9th: @KorandAngels - La'Ayiv, White One - 43 Points
    10th: @Red_Tower - Redrewt, Saberpunk - 40 Points

Anyways, without further ado, here is the next challenge!

Challenge 3: JAILBREAK!

During the battle, a stray beam of flame from the demon's mouth hit a nearby town, causing much destruction. The few witnesses to the event from the town only saw that you two were together, not that you were fighting, because they then promptly went and hid. As the demon was no longer there, they blamed you, imprisoning you as best they could in the city prison.

This challenge is a split challenge! This means you choose one of 2 options, and you get different new stats and have to complete a different challenge depending on which you choose!

Option A

If you choose this option, a local group of whatever type you choose hears of your imprisonment, and decides to help you out. They bust you out, and become your new allies, giving you a new color. For this challenge you must make a member/members of the group. These people must be monocolor in your new color.

You will get:
    ~1 additional color of your choice
    ~1 Uncommon slot

Option B

If you choose this option, you decide that you are fed up with being stuck in this jail and decide to bust out yourself. For this challenge, you must make a card representing how you escape the prison.

You will get:
    ~1 higher max CMC (bringing your max CMC to 5)
    ~1 Uncommon slot

You do not, I repeat DO NOT have to use these slots for the challenge. You can save as many of them as you want, or use all of them. It's up to you. Just keep in mind that cards made for challenges have the potential for 2 extra points if they fit the challenge.

Now, without further ado, Good Luck, Have Fun, and Happy Cardsmithing!
  • Option A! Will post a card soon.

I'm having a lot of fun with this challenge so far, and congrats to @ThatOneCat for holding #1! :D
  • Bagej looks from the eternities onto his mortal form. So weak. So useless. He relied on his cultists to do everything for him, so when he was left alone, he was captured. The demon turned out to be a coward too, flew away at the first sign of humans, and he couldn't command him back, so far from his sources of power.
    He calculates with his plane-spanning mind. It would only be a matter of days, maybe weeks before his mortal vessel rots away and he is trapped in the blind eternities again, perhaps forever this time.

*contnuation coming soon*
  • @HeroKP Thanks! Let us battle!
  • edited July 2019
    @Aggroman15, I choose option B...

image image

I used all my remaining slots to make two cards that represent "jail" in MtG. One to combat cards like Ixalan's Binding/ Prison Realm. The other to nullify Pacifism cards.
  • edited July 2019
    Option A chosen for myself. Since we are only in mono color and that would help increase the scope of our cards.

Cards coming soon.
  • Hey @Aggroman15, what happens if we make two cards for a challenge, or is that not allowed?
  • @Red_Tower
    That's allowed. Did it one of the last times.
  • edited July 2019
    A ripple of sound echoes through the jailhouse. Bagej makes an effort to return to material senses, to get a grip on what is going on. Cries and explosions are heard in the corridors. A waxy and sulphury smell drifts through the air. The door erupts into hieromantic flame. In front of his vessel, Bagej sees a group of men and women dressed in white, holding scepters with an image - a symbol which used to represent him in his days of great power - an ornate sun. The people look at Bagej in awe, and he feels himself grow stronger, stronger by the millisecond. He is filled with the reverence of these people. Effortlessly, he summons beacons of a familiar dark and an unfamiliar light which shatter the wall. They all escape, with all the guards either stunned, dead, or paralyzed by fear.

"Once again, you are free, great deity!" exclaims an aged member of the group. He kneels to Bagej, and the rest do the same.

• A bit more about Helenh and the rest of the worshipper cult:

They are an ancient order who follow powerful beings whose attention they can catch (kind of like the Godseekers in Hollow Knights or the Minions in the movie Minions). Their longest worshipping streak was 400 years, where they revered a planeswalker who made his home on the world. One day though, when he was scheduled to return to the church for a ritual, he didn't show up. The group waited 50 years, but still, no sign of their patron saint. And so they moved on.

Times haven't been good recently, them revering a hive mind of trees here (they got chopped down by giants), a vampiric goblin sorcerer there (he got dismembered by noble vampiric elves), but the last few weeks, they have sensed a new force on the plane. Helenh recieved visions of an emblem, and carved it into his staff, and when Bagej's vessel got captured, he was immediately drawn to action.

And so yeah, I'm Orzhov now.
  • edited July 2019
    @Red_Tower Yes, more than one card is definitely allowed! Otherwise, what would be the point of saving up slots?
    @HeroKP I should have stated this in the rules, but when you add a color you must create a new Planeswalker card to replace your old one that includes your new color. Also, you don't currently have a legendary slot to make your entry.
    @Spookoops What option did you choose? I'm assuming B, but if you could let me know that would be great.

Also, I have edited the challenge to give you max 5 instead of 4 CMC, as it was brought to my attention that you already had 4 CMC from the last challenge.
  • @Aggroman15 can this creature be legendary?
  • Also, @Aggroman15 you specified we could. This was part of the challenge.

• @Aggroman15
    Are we allowed to make incarnations of our character other than the main planeswalker to express story spotlights.
  • Ok, some people seem to be getting confused. When I said a "member or members of the group" I didn't mean specific members, I just meant a regular creature portraying what the group's members are like
  • So no legendaries yet basically. Other than your planeswalker, of course.
  • @Aggroman15

Wait, you need legendary slots? Sorry, that must have slipped through the cracks of my rules reading. Let's keep Helenh from a lore standpoint, but I will create another card for my actual entry.
  • edited July 2019

Nai is used to escaping prison. He did it lots on kaladesh, as a strongly rooted rebel. He knew what it was like dealing with smugglers, so he released his own invention... the Smuggler’s Copter.
  • edited July 2019

So here's one of the worshippers. Nothing too exciting, just a leveling engine.

New Bagej coming soon!

./-\.
    |
    /\
  • @Aggroman15 Can a planeswalker be 5 cmc now that the +1 max cmc came out with the second challenge?
This discussion has been closed.