Find the Perfect Reprint

Often in Magic, reprints can be reinvented and reimagined to fit the setting that they're in. But sometimes one of these reprints is so perfect it feels like it was born for that set. For example, Blazing Torch was a reprint in Innistrad, but it fits the worldbuilding and mechanical set so much that it could have been created for Innistrad and no one would have blinked an eye.

imageimage

So, for this challenge, your job is to find a real Magic card and reimagine it to be in either
-a custom set you've created, or
-a different real Magic set, preferably a recent one.

It would also be helpful for you to write a sentence or two describing how this card is a fit, though I won't require that.

There is a limit of one card per user, and the soft deadline is Monday, July 22. Go!

Comments

• Aerial Maneuver from Gatecrash was used in Forgotten Dragons
    image image
  • Oh boy! A proxy contest!
  • edited July 8
    The infamous Collected Company from Dragons of Tarkir:
    imageimage
    This was made for the Ixalan Block and it represents a group of humans deciding to band together and go after the City of Gold alongside the other tribes. I thought this would be a cool side story and think it fits Collected Company well.
  • A reprint of a card known for having some of the worst art in MtG:
    image image

A Discussion and The Set.

For more on Lithorians and Tony Yin's awesome art project, check out His Page for art and a sweet video.
  • edited July 9
    Using a less controversial art for this particular card.

image image
  • @sanjaya666 I was wondering about the controversy, but then I realized… oh yeah right, hooded dudes that don't like other colors. Nice blunder, WOTC art direction. (Was it intentional ?)
  • edited July 10
    @ASubtleGhost No idea boss. Also, the artist of that card is also probably a racist too, according to the rumors and his galleries. Have never met him personally though. Can't really say about it, boss.
  • So far, these are some interesting cards, but I want to see what else y'all can come up with.
  • @KorandAngels You can't reprint Pteramander in Kaladesh because it was originally in Ravnica Allegiance, a set that came after Kaladesh. So that's not a legitimate entry unless I'm misunderstanding.
  • @Je_Suis_Oluwa Sorry, I disn't know the set I reprinted into mattered. I don't really like using existing sets anyway, so you are misunderstanding (It isn't actually for Kaladesh)
  • @KorandAngels I'm sorry I misunderstood. Could you please clarify what set you are reprinting this card into, and why is it a good fit?
  • I don't typically do reprints (except functionally very similar), but I was working on a card and had the name for a card, and when I checked to see if the name was used before I discovered an old card that I'd never seen before. It only had one printing and I thought it fit well.

Specifically, I think my choice in reprint is fitting because it fits one of the themes of my custom set I'm building, which is a contention between traditions and nature versus technology and adaptation.
    imageimage
  • edited July 14

Seems to make even more sense in Dominaria than in Theros, and it works flavorfully too, because all of the heroes of Dominaria teaming up against Belzenlok.
  • edited July 14
    It was the most frustrating thing to me that they would bring us to a plane with coatls and not reprint one single Coatl.
    original
    proof that Coatls exist in Ixalan
  • edited July 14
    These are all very cool so far.
  • What, even mine?
    (Since you wanted to know, I am not reprinting it into a particular set, just reprinting it into cardsmith)
  • @KorandAngels Just fyi:
    "So, for this challenge, your job is to find a real Magic card and reimagine it to be in either
    -a custom set you've created, or
    -a different real Magic set, preferably a recent one."