I welcome you to the first Cardsmith vs. Cardsmith phyrexian arena contest. Where you will be rewarded not only on your smithing talent but also for defeating others!
The rules of this game are simple:
1. Two (or more) Cardsmiths will be paired against eachother.
2. Each Cardsmith must design a spell.
3. Those cards will (secretly) be sent to the judge ( @pepperoni
) via Personal Message.
4. The cards will be judged by the challenge's criteria.
5. The judge will then post both cards and one will be the winner.
So here goes your story: You are a wizard and are trapped in this arena along other talented mages, your access to mana has been restricted, leylines have been diverted so no wizard may use mana from the plane unless otherwise allowed. You
are given some artifacts that can be sacrificed to produce mana, but they are not enough to break free from this hell.
The lights are turned on, you see another mage on the other side of the empty arena, you know what they want you to do... Only one can stand.
A screeching voice floods the room:
"You will only be given enough mana to destroy each other. NOW FIGHT!"
1. For this challenge you are given three (3) treasure tokens and two (2) scrap tokens (Scrap artifact tokens have "Tap, sacrifice this artifact: Add one colorless mana)
1.1 You can sacrifice these artifacts to cast your spells, your spells must be able to be cast with your available mana.
2. You may save your artifacts for future fights.
3. If the result is a tie, you will fight again unless you both die, in that case, you both leave the competition.
4. Your cards must reflect the spells you would cast against your enemie(s). For example, I may create a shock to represent I use an electric attack on my opponent, and they create a Dawn Charm to represent a defensive spell.
5. The effectiveness of the spells will be judged by the following criteria:
5.1 Up to 5 points for BALANCING (Respecting power level of modern MTG design standards, for example, a functional reprint of Counterspell may only get 1 point out of 5 for being overpowered.)
5.2 Up to 4 points for FLAVOR (Effect-Art-Name-Text-Represented action relationship)
5.3 Up to 3 points for ORIGINALITY
5.4 Up to 2 points for CLARITY (How understandable the effect is)
The winner of the first fight will get TWO favorites at random from their creations and may continue to the next round.