Commerce and Trade set Idea. (Give me feedback and ideas)

Comments

• edited September 2019
    I think we should stick with these to avoid messing around with them anymore, however, I'm not decided on their archetypes. I was thinking in overlapping them so people can splash a color if they don't have anything to take.

GW Farmers. The productive faction. Birds, Humans, Druids, Spirits. (Ramp, populate etc. This one is the least problematic.)

WB Capitalists. The risk takers, they can pay for anything. Humans, Demons? (Mercenaries, risky mid creatures with the Hire/Price mechanic, maybe one or two aristocrat sacrifice outlet to kill your creature before the Hire/Price trigger resolves)

RU Scientists-Merchants. The people experimenting with objects from other planes and reselling them (Artifacts and/or Replicate effects that can splash populate, cards like Mirage mirror and Trophy Mage, a Quasiduplicate-like card and Twinflame)

GU Sailors and/or Sea creatures. Moving through the sea is important here. (Card draw synergies seems good with Tempt going around, control simic is new to me and I like it. Lorescale Coatl is MUST reprint, not sure what it can overlap with)

RB Weapon-manufacturers. Violence is a bussiness, someone's gotta make it. (Equipment subtheme? maybe the equipment can have mechanics that can have "headshots" or "Fail the shot" and there's our coin-flipping mechanic! Red would already have artifact synergies from RU merchants so it can overlap with that)

What do you think @steampunkdragon @izitru ?

The W U cards referring to the gatewatch can support the archetypes with W and U in them.

• edited September 2019
    And for the name of the plane, I think I want it to be "without limits" in some indigenous language. In mayan it would be something like "Ma'ts'ook" oor "Ma'Xuul" and it dan be simplified to Matsok / Mashul.
  • edited September 2019
    You didn't tag me.
    I think I have a different idea about this than you; I imagine a team-play style, where you deliver cards to opponents by exiling them and letting your friend cast them from exile.
  • @korandangels sorry i didn't think you were active today.

I don´t know, isn't that extra step unnecesary? or do you mean giving them your OWN cards in effects like Dire Fleet Daredevil?
  • What races are on the plane?
  • edited September 2019
    @Pepperoni give them your cards, but I mean artifacts, mainly (For flavour)
    If you saw my Delivery Wagon, it would be like that except teammates can cast it instead of you.
  • edited September 2019
    @korandangels Humans, Merfolk, Serpents, Birds, Krakens, Fish, Spirits (Nature-origin spirits like from japanese or indigenous folk culture), Demons perhaps. I'm not completely done with the races.
  • edited September 2019
    What do you mean 'indigenous folk culture'? They aren't spirits. Only animals.
  • @Korandangels Mayans, central american groups and even some islanders of the Caribbean believe in spirits protecting the wilds and nature (Trust me, I'm from a mayan area)

So, given these cultural reasons I included spirits, they should be allied with the agricultural faction.
  • @Pepperoni Sounds great! I like Matsok personally for the name. making a WU subarchetype for the Gatewatch does seem kind of unessecary with the five we already have. I think that the next step would be determining which new mechanics we use and which colors or factions get them. From what I can tell we have chosen Settle, Tempt, and Hire/Price (although i'm not sure if you have chosen exactly how this mechanic is going to work and would love to hear where you are with it). So if we are going to follow @Steampunkdragon's advice and have 4 mechanics 2 big 2 small then we should probably decide on a fourth before continuing. I'm leaning towards Monopoly since it represents the factions race to become the most powerful and influencial in the Multiverse.

I just have 2 worldbuilding questions after that:
    1.Does each faction have a "planeswalker" or do the planeswalkers work for hire like mercenaries

2.What if we could represent the mayans with the GW farmers?
  • Before we continue, think about the Mayans and how they might make this set way too much like Ixalan. We want this plane to feel unique.
  • @Steampunkdragon good point @pepperoni mentioned that the plane was Caribbean esc so we should probably leave the Mayans out of it.
  • @izitru @steampunkdragon Ixalan's Sun Empire was a mix of cultures from central México, Mayans are different and closer to the caribbean, but I get your point, perhaps we should avoid referencing Mayan culture.

As for the questions, I haven't even thought about wich planeswalkers are in the set, lol. But since they are mythic rares they should just be good enablers. Remember there's planeswalkers being secretly paid to bring objects from other planes to Matsok, anyone from Saheeli to Ob Nixilis could be involved, they don't fight for this people, they just get properties by the sea and lots of goods.

• @Pepperoni It might be worth introducing at least 2 or 3 new ones and using 1 or 2 old ones. Completing jobs for money and doing it all in secret does seem like a Kaya thing but she's with the Gatewatch so that might not work.
  • So far, here's my rough set skeleton.

For a small set of around 150-200 cards:
    Commons: 60-75
    Uncommons: 40-60
    Rares: 35-45
    Mythics: 10-15
    Basic land: 5 (or, if you're going for realism, 20, 4 for each basic.)

Divided by Faction:
    ____________Commons Uncommons Rares Mythics
    GW Farmers__10-15_______7-10______5-6____1-2
    UR Scientists__10-15_______7-10______5-6____1-2
    GU Sailors____10-15_______7-10______5-6____1-2
    RB Criminals__10-15_______7-10______5-6____1-2
    WB Thugs____10-15_______7-10______5-6____1-2
    Other________10-15_______5-10______3-5____2-3

This will obviously change with time, and will need adjustments. But I hope it helps for now!
  • edited September 2019
    @izitru or maybe Kaya is the one sent to investigate because she is the good at stealing stuff (Not as much as Fayden, RIP) and usually is driven by money. She has a financial responsility in the Orzhov Syndicate too. She seems like a good infiltrator to me.

Usually sets intruduce 1, rarely 2 new planeswalkers, except for WAR because of obvious reasons.

Aside from that, Here's a couple reprints that might have some interactions and are fitting for the whole "trying to impose law thing"

-Smothering Tithe (Tempt causes card draw)
    -Remand (If Simic is getting a cards-in-hand control identity, this avoids having to lose card advantage)

And finally, I began suggesting bringing back Buyback, wich actually is perfect for that simic identity. However, I don't want to overwhelm the set with mechanics so it better appear as a non-mentioned functional buyback, like affinity cards in Eldraine.

• Bump

(Anyone want to help?)
  • So first off should we make cards? Or is that something you want to do @Pepperoni? secondly Planeswalker wise I think the pre-exsisting planeswalkers that could best fit with the themes and mechanics are Kaya, Sahilee, Angrath, or Kiora

As far as new ones go I had some ideas:
    1. A merchant that collects magic items from all over the multiverse

2. A planeswalker that is doing their best to keep Matsok sake from inter-planar threats

3. An inter-planar kingpin that is trying to seize control of all off the trade in Matsok through (wait for it) CORPORATE ESPIONAGE
  • edited September 2019
    @izitru @korandangels @steampunkdragon, you know the set fairly well by now, you are free to make cards for it as long as they fit. Maybe I could open a contest but I'm still struggling with my phyrexian arena thing xd.

Planeswalakers: Yes, those are the most likely to be involved here, I prefer Kiora and Kaya. Planeswalker merchant sounds interesting and open for design space, probably UR, a control advocate seems like another Dovin to me but could give it a new twist, a monopolist wannabe sounds like a new villain that's arguably not a villain, wich is the best kind of villain.

• edited September 2019
    If you want to regroup the colors so there's less factions:

1. I suggest RB and WB to be in just one side as a Mardu (RBW) corporates/mercenaries. Remember the white mercenary whose price was lands? if we give red some land destruction, then the opponent might not have lands to pay for it, economic pressure 101.

2. Temur merchants (URG) Can be the ones moving stuff around as well as deciphering artifacts. As I said, populate, quasiduplicate and twinflame create interesting scenarios.

3. BG can be the new farmers (Not too crazy, remember this is Golgari's place in ravnican society), This is a bloody land and even farmers must be tough here.

4. WU can be the gatewatch, trying to make some order out of all this mess.

This actually made more sense to me and would reduce the amount of work we would have to do. But I'm open for debate.

@izitru @korandangels @steampunkdragon do you think this would save time, only the two-color factions would change and they aren't as hard to make work, Golgari and Azorious are always the easiest archetypes to make.
  • @Pepperoni
    Personally I liked where the factions were. Before we start making cards what was your final desicion on hoe Price worked?
  • edited September 2019
    @Izitru I Honestly don't know, Paying in mana has to increase the price pretty high and adds a lot of reminder text but it Is more accesible.

Paying in permanents Is more interesting and flavorful but it is a bit more likely to he frustrating.
  • edited September 2019
    You know what, players are getting a lot of cards thanks to Tempt, it only makes sense to give them mana to cast them as well, so let's call it Hire as Steampunk suggested and save Price for another set.

Official text of Hire:

Hire - At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that opponent may pay {cost}. If they do, they gain control of this permanent and you create N treasure tokens.

This opens space for different kinds of Hire costs like life points that would otherwise bend the rules.

NOW POPULATE IS KINDA OF GETTING ON MY NERVES. I don't want it to be another boring tokens go-wide thing, that has been done entirely too much, I really want it to be in it's most powerful state. That's why I want it interacting with interesting tokens, Huge Octopus tokens and Quasiduplicate effects, with hire, you will be getting crazy creatures at some point.

So here's the first important character, The card itself can change, the important thing here is that this Demon has an insane wealth coming from weapon manufacturing and mercenary deals around Matsok, The Arenera-based Demon is looking for planeswalkers to inform them about armed conflicts in other planes so, once they figure out a way to move their stuff from plane to plane that doesn`t require these fools, they can establish dealerships for both sides and make a profit.
  • @Pepperoni @IzItTru @KorandAngels BUMP!!!
    (I have a few ideas, I'll drop them here later.)
  • edited September 2019
    @steampunkdragon I was thinking about this too today in class. Lol
    I'll drop this for now:

-I did some artwork sketches and the feel is too similar to Ixalan, I suggest to get away from the caribbean flavor and go full latin america anarchy feel.

-I absolutely love Settle (at some point I wanted it to be a "Lands matter" set), altough I eventually drifted away from it, I realize there's an easy way to make it interesting: Exert effects. Exert was a super safe mechanic in Amonkhet and it synergyzes with Settle wich can open space for overlap.

-Some amazing mechanics have come from this: Tempt, Price, Settle. Unfortunately, they don't play along each other perfectly. They are pretty powerful and make for explosive games, as I said, maybe the best is to divide into two different sets.

• Goddamn, I'm never gonna be happy with factions in this set T_T
  • I'd say for the set to not have coloured factions and just have mechanics of certain colours.
  • @Korandangels You know what? That might actually be a solution, markets don't really have "factions". I'll just make cards with cool interactions and a few key uncommons to solidify the strategies.
This discussion has been closed.