I know I’ve been mostly inactive recently, but while I was on the MTGCS Discord, I came up with an idea for a set. I bounced it off a couple people and began worldbuilding it, but I want to see what the folks here on the forums have to say.
Here’s the basic shtick of the set:
- Like Ixalan, there are four tribes, two wedges and two pairs. The four tribes are Bant, Jund, Boros and Dimir. So far, I’m thinking that Boros should be based off of Vikings, Jund off of ancient Africa, and Dimir off of Asia, although I’m not sure how to approach Bant without falling into the “valiant knights and stuff” trap. Insight on this would be appreciated.
- As for mechanical themes, I’m thinking Bloodbath (my old custom mechanic) for Jund, card draw for Bant, top of libary (fateseal/surveil?) for Dimir, and Battalion (or something like it) for Boros.
- The main thing that differentiates this world: Ages ago, the ancestors of this plane’s tribes foresaw a vicious war, so they constructed an artifact that would stop the war. Years before the time of this set, a territory dispute sent the Boros, Bant, and Jund tribes to war, with Dimir remaining neutral until its people began to be enslaved by the Jund, which forced it to join the war.
- One day, the ancient artifact activated, trapping the denizens of the plane in a six-day time loop. This is the main thing that differentiates this set and I don’t know how to convey it through gameplay.
- At first, the people of the plane didn’t notice; eventually, however, the Loop became known to all denizens of the plane. (I don’t feel like explaining all the intricacies of the Loop here; I’ll post them later in the comments.)
- Now the tribes continue to war, while several intrepid explorers hunt for the Loop’s source.
Let me be clear: Please do not submit custom cards now. I just want to bounce some ideas around for this set and see how I can convey the Loop through gameplay. Help on this would be appreciated, as I want to work on making this a legitimate set later on. If anybody has any mechanic/worldbuilding ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.