Throne of Eldraine - Card wording changes.

This may not be terribly important to a lot of people here, but I find the specific wording and formatting of official Magic cards and how they change even slightly to be very interesting. Or at least more interesting than I ought. If you enjoy creating cards, it's also helpful to know the correct formatting and parsing of rules text for obvious reasons.

Here are the new changes:
  • Adventures exist. Adventure cards are referred to in-game as "Creatures/creature spells/creature cards that have an Adventure".
  • Warlocks exist. They are now black's primary spellcasting class (White's being Cleric, green's being Druid, red's being Shaman, blue's being Wizard).
  • Other wording changes and oddities I've listed down below. Some are interesting and relevant, and some aren't.

Rankle has the new text for modal options, "choose any number". The previous way to make a functional copy of this card would have been to use the wording "you may choose one or more". It's a subtle difference, but it's nice.

Syr Konrad's triggered ability is the first triggered ability to have this parsing. Previously, they've used two trigger conditions at most put in the sentence before the comma, with the description of what the ability does after the comma (like this). I've also seen cards written with separate triggered abilities that have the same result (like this), and this probably would have been the only way to make a functionally identical version of Konrad before they made this change. But you know, card space is an issue.

Frankly, I think this change is gross and usually I try to find a way to rewrite any sentence that ends up that way. They could have used a semicolon or something. But, whatever, it's here, it's queer, get used to it.

This isn't mind-blowing and they've done similar perversions of the standard wording before... I'm fairly sure. Can't think of an example right now. But I'm reasonably sure this is the first card to actually separate characteristics of a created token between a sentence and various modal options. It's kind of hard to look that up. Also barely worth mentioning, but I was making this post anyway.

They used "any" here where they'd normally use "each". I don't know if it was an intentional decision or just something that slipped through.

Usually when they say "it" like they do in this card, they're referring to the same game object as they were earlier in the sentence. But here in the first sentence, the card's own name refers to itself as a permanent on the battlefield, and then "it" instead refers to itself as a card in its owner's hand. I'm fairly sure that's new.

How exciting. Now you don't have to squint and count whenever a card like Aethersquall Ancient shows up at the table. Though I can't find it right now, I'm positive that I've seen a post from Mark Rosewater on Blogatog that stated they hadn't decided at which number of mana symbols they'll change from listing them out to writing out the number.

That's all.

Comments

• edited September 2019
    There's a difference between "Choose any number" (as appears on Rankle) and "Choose one or more" (as you gave as what it would previously have been the wording). With Rankle, you can choose to have none of the options occur, while the other wording demands a minimum of one be chosen.
  • Your uh, your images seem to be having a little bit of difficulty.
  • @MemoryHead - Yep, but I specifically put the words "you may choose one or more" for that reason, which has the exact same practical function.

@Lujikul - Huh, right you are. The curse of the image cache. I'll get right on that.
  • Ah, I see what you mean. I'm a dummy, sorry.
  • You're talking to the gal that just made a big post about lots of specific cards and posted up broken image links to almost all of them, so I think you're good.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed this, I'll probably be coming back to this tutorial for references quite a bit until I get used to the new updated wording. I love the amount being before the mana symbols now, it just looks easier to read.
  • Isn't the "Create a Food token" rather than "Create a colourless Food artifact token with "{2}, {t}, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life."" new?
  • For full clarity, they're Adventurer cards, creature cards that 'have an adventure.' They're always creature cards in every zone except on the stack if and only if they were cast for their adventure cost, then they only have the qualities of their adventure.
This discussion has been closed.