Community Mechanics Challenge - Activated

In honor of Charging Badger's Mechanics Encyclopedia, and all of the Cardsmiths who posted their custom mechanics in it, this set of challenges will revolve around that.

Mechanics Encyclopedia - http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/225/mechanic-encyclopedia-for-all/p1

The challenge this week will be to make cards using the Activated mechanics that other Cardsmiths have posted!

The Rules are as follows:
1. Make a card that incorporates a custom Activated mechanic
2. The mechanic can be one you made or one that you make for the challenge.
3. In the Disqus comments of your card, be sure to give credit to the originator of the mechanic.
4. There is no limit to the number of cards you may enter.

Activated Mechanics
Defined here as: If you pay this, something happens.

Here is a link to the custom Activated mechanics so that you don't have to dig around.
http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/609/mechanics-encyclopedia-activated-mechanics#latest

Be advised... If you use a new custom Activated mechanic, I will want to add it to the Encyclopedia!

This Challenge will end on October 9th!
Winner will receive a Custom Card and a ~TROPHY~

Comments

• New mechanic!
    Kevlek's Smuggler
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kevleks-smuggler

Smuggle [ cost ] - Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may pay [ cost ]. If you do, draw a card and exile the top card of that player's library.
  • Egomania
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/egomania
    Using @Beeswax 's Pact. I promise, you'll both love this one. ;)
  • Im now in love with the Betrayal mechanic.

This one keeps both players in a power struggle to have it on their side of the battlefield, since it is ever constant in growing power as well.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/willstruggle-demon
  • Here is mine.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lost-and-forgotten-2?list=user

Reminisce {cost} (pay {cost}, tap this creature: Search your graveyard for a blue card and put it onto your hand.)
  • @JaceNalaar While I understand that you are thinking on the past, I still think Reminisce should be "A card that shares a color with this one" and not just a blue card, for functional reasons, not flavorful ones. Of course, it's mainly a blue/black ability, so maybe don't change it.
  • @CrucibleOfHate, Well, noted once again. But hey, I am still learning how to make actual good cards.
  • edited October 2015
    Reminisce {cost} ({cost}, {t}: Search your graveyard for a card that shares a color with this one and put it into your hand.)
    (blue/black mechanic)

This way looks more like a real card, and it saves you some space for more flavor text!

XD
  • @Corwinnn, Thank you. Thank you very much. As a reward, here is 15 flying squirrels. :)
  • One more day!
  • I throw my hand up on my rump. When I bump, you bump, we bump.
    For @CrucibleOfHate and @kauyon
  • Oh my goat! It's already this time!? I wish you could do the same challenge again in the future.. there are so many fun challenges now!
  • edited October 2015
    I used channel ability made by @Gelectrode

It is written in Corwinnn's page like this;
    Channel {X} ({X}: You may exile this card from your hand. If you do, target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn.)
    It is almost like a Bloodrush ability.

But Gelectrode wrote it in Original Mechanics Encyclopedia like this;
    Channel {mana} (Exile this spell : Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn)

When cards are on the stack, they are called spells. So original version is only activated after it was cast and before it is resolved.(That says, while it is on the stack.) I think it's a very unique idea.

So I followed the original version. But it needed to be fixed a little bit. Let me know if it's ok that I do it like this @Gelectrode!
    Channel N - [Cost] ( [Cost], Exile this spell : Target creature gets +N/+N until end of turn.)
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/astral-tiger-2
  • Just in time @Tomigon! After this challenge set concludes, I might revisit an older challenge or make something totally new, but I definitely will revisit this one again!
  • Final chance!! Closing soon!!
  • edited October 2015
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sea-drake-rider
    Dive {cost} ({cost}: {creature name} loses flying and gains hexproof until end of turn.)
    Dive ability is made by @cadstar369 . Creature's name isn't written in reminder text. Just "This creature" is ok.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/creeping-poltergeist?list=user
    Insidious N (Discard a card with converted mana cost N : You may cast this card from your graveyard this turn.)
    Made by me!
  • Whew! Just made it!! Okay... No more entries. I'll be posting the results soon!! Thanks to all who entered!
  • Since there aren't as many cards as some of the other challenges (like the cycles) I'll go over some of these more in depth....
    Starting at the top...

@Damnation - Kevlek's Smuggler
    I like the Smuggle mechanic. It has some fun potential applications. I can see it working in red and blue with some black as well, good Pirate stuff! This seems about right for an uncommon. Nice job.

@CrucibleOfHate - Egomania
    That's a crazy card! I think I would try to play with it, just to see the reactions! Fun card!

@JRock - Willstruggle Demon
    So I added my comments on the card, but just to sum up... I like where you were trying to go with this, but I think the Betrayal mechanic gives you some freedom to get a little crazy... CMC's should be lower on all Betrayal cards, because it has a built in downside. As a result you can make something as OP as you dare, knowing it's probably coming back to smack you as well. And of course I think the Betrayal cost should be colorless to expand it's use.

@MrRansom - Borderland Legionnaires
    Nice use of Pact. You have some questionable life choices going on in the creature type, but we'll just overlook that! XD Nice balance, and a really cool card! Nice work!

@JaceNalaar - Lost and Forgotten
    Love the Nanomortis artwork! I also left a comment on this card. You have a nice concept of the Reminisce mechanic, but it needs a little fine tuning to keep it from blowing up into an OP card. Nice work, and keep trying new stuff, it's only going to improve how you make cards!

@Tomigon - Astral Tiger
    I think the complexity of this one would bump up the card to at least a rare. I think the wording you used is so that you'll gain 5 life no matter if you play it or Channel it, which is what increases the complexity. I'm not sure how I feel about the Channel mechanic, but the concept you built around it is pretty cool.

Sea Drake Rider
    I Love the Dive Mechanic, but I don't really like the Discard an Island part of the cost. I think it's meant as more of an evasion technique for things that target fliers, since there really isn't a benefit to giving it dive. The bouncing two lands back to your hand would work for a landfall deck! I also love this art!

Creeping Poltergeist
    Wow, that's some creepy art! Nice work on that! Insidious is an interesting mechanic. It seems like it can inspire a horror themed deck. This version looks like it will help feed itself quite nicely if you build a deck around it. Nice work!

@leo5873 - Boulder Bombarder
    The Siege Mechanic - I like this, and I think you got the three colors that would use it... This first one, I would drop his power level down to 3 and make him attack each turn if possible and lower the CMC by 1. I think creatures with Siege should always be laying siege to something, not sitting around waiting for the right moment. Cool art!

Backup Bowman
    I would ditch the hexproof and give him vigilance as a flavor ability (as the back-up he should always be ready) Nice job on this one too.

Dike Wood Dead Shot
    Nice work, I do love a good assassin! Again, I would give all these siege guys "must attack each turn if able" that way they are always on the offensive, as the mechanic would suggest.

@lookingupanddown - Phytoshell Incubator
    This mechanic took some time to sink in. Nice attempt to duplicate the original mechanic and give it some green buff. I'm still digesting this one, so bear with me.

Hired Killer
    I left a comment on this card. I think you can rework this like I was saying to JRock and really have fun with it!

Scrap Blitzer
    I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of this thing. It's a 1/1 for 3 that I have to upkeep at the end of each turn, and if I cast another artifact I can pay 1 more to give it a bump? I'm not planning on sticking this albatross into any deck I own. I know you can do better than this! (unless I'm completely missing something)

The Results

Favorite Mechanic
    While I love Pact, Smuggle, Siege and Insidious, I have to say I think Betrayal is the one I keep thinking about as a fun tool to make some interesting cards.

Honorable Mentions
    @lookingupanddown - Scrap Blitzer - I know the second version is gonna be awesome!
    @JaceNalaar - I like where you're heading with your cards!
    @leo5873 - I think you're onto something with Siege!

THIRD PLACE
    @Tomigon - Creeping Poltergeist
    So Creepy!
    SECOND PLACE
    @MrRansom - Borderland Legionnaires
    Still not sure about that Lizard part!
    FIRST PLACE
    @lookingupanddown - Phytoshell Incubator
    I think you brought this mechanic a card it needed! Nice work!

Congratulations to all the winners and contestants! Thank you for your entries!!

~TROPHY~ Coming Soon
    Custom Card - Coming Soon
  • Hello, Corwinn. Thank you very much for your review.
  • @JaceNalaar - No problem! Thanks for the entry!
  • Congrats to @Tomigon, @MrRansom and @lookingupanddown - really cool to see the mechanics that everyone's come up with!
This discussion has been closed.