Fronteria, the Wild West World

(DISCLAIMER: In no way was this inspired by Lorado. Some mechanics/cards/etc are based off Lorado, but I had the idea for this set before I knew Lorado existed - thanks to @ningyounk for "shooting" me a link to it. The Cowboys v Indians challenge by @sorinjace wasn't the reason for this either, though there were some cool concepts in there.)

Welcome to Fronteria - a land of outlaws, bandits, gold miners, fortune seekers, natives, and Hound tribal.
Fronteria is one-half of the plane of Devonia - think the colonies vs. the Wild West. On Fronteria, gold has been discovered, so miners flock to Fronteria to hunt for their riches. However there is a war going on in Fronteria between the forces of Josiah Grey and Damian Browne - two powerful outlaw leaders who have an old vendetta dating back decades. Josiah Grey leads the white-aligned outlaws, and Damian Browne leads the black-aligned ones - kind of like a Western movie.

Outlaws and other denizens of the towns of Fronteria are seen in all five colors. Outlaws are chiefly in black and white. Races include Humans, Goblins, Spirits, Zombies, and Aven.
The Yomwegan and Kiroka, or the Native American-inspired part of the set, are two tribes - Yomwegan in G/R and Kiroka in G/U. Races include Humans, Centaurs, and Spirits.
There is also Hound tribal - think Cat tribal from Amonkhet or Squirrel tribal from Unstable; maybe one lord and a few support cards.

Mechanics of Fronteria include:
Legendary Matters. There are legendary creatures at every rarity (even a few at common) and a whole bunch of stuff to interact with them.
Ride (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may have target creature you control ride this creature. As long as that creature is riding this creature, they must attack and block together if able.) Should almost always be accompanied with "Creatures riding this creature get..." This is basically the "horses and vehicles" mechanic - not vehicles like cars, vehicles like freight trains and covered wagons. Don't be perverted with this mechanic, please.
Guns and bullet counters. I poached this idea off of Lorado because it was just so flavorful and amazing for the Old West. Guns ETB with bullet counters on them and have abilities that involve removing a bullet counter from them.
Ghostly {cost} ({cost,} Exile this creature from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it except it's 1/1, has flying, and a Spirit in addition to its other types.) Ghostly is basically just Embalm with Spirits instead of Zombies. I did it to represent the ghosts of the Old West. Ghostly is a placeholder name - if you have a better suggestion, post it on this thread.
Mine N (Create N Gold artifact tokens with "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.) Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, GOLD!!! The mine mechanic is seen in Grixis colors, like Treasure in Ixalan. I already have an alternate win condition card for this, so no "If you have X gold you win the game" cards.

The current archetypes are B/W graveyard recursion / legendary matters, R/W Guns, W/U ghostly and Spirit tribal, G/R ride, R/B mine, U/R stealing stuff, W/G Hound tribal, B/G +1/+1 counters, U/B mine, and G/U card draw. This set is top-down Wild West and designed to be drafted.
If you have any suggestions or want to know more about the story, shoot me a message or post it on this thread. You can post card concepts on here - commons and uncommons are appreciated. And any and all art is appreciated - especially if you find art for a Samut planeswalker or a story character, or if Wizards is auctioning off any of their artists.
So, show me your most flavorful and fun card concepts!

--EDIT-- I realised I forgot the set skeleton. This set has 264 cards (15 basic lands, 101 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares). I haven't figured out color-by-color yet, but I'll eventually get there.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.