You better use some protection!

So far there's been 2 "Protectors" in Magic.

The original is Bastion Protector

Then next came

Bloodsworn Steward

But what about the rest of the colors?

I think we need to do something about it!

So make the best Protector for whatever color or colors you like! The name does not need to include the word protector. Just needs fit the concept of a creature that aids the commander of a deck however you see fit. You can come at this sideways if that's how you wanna roll.

Here's some sample versions I did.
image (I did a whole cycle, Frontier, Palace, etc for each color based off the Siege names in fate reforged.)

And different style one...

There's alot of room to work with this design space.

This just for fun, and will run till interest peters out. I will favorite any I think are good representations of what was asked. So let's see what you got...

Comments

• edited December 2017
    A little bit sideways:
    image image
  • edited March 2018
    Here is my entry:
  • edited March 2018
    I saw your shameless plug.

Please meet the champion, guardian, and protector of The Vast. She is tailor made to work with my favorite mtg Commander, Kaalia, but can still work in any w/b/r deck (though is obviously meant for Kaalia).

• edited January 2018
    Sideways stuffs.

image image
  • edited January 2018
  • wow @ Deflector Golem
  • These look great!
  • edited January 2018
    Here's my submission, with a sideways approach, of course.

• edited January 2018
  • edited January 2018
    Not really protecting but that's okay right?

• @sorinjace thanks haha I'd had that art for quite a while waiting for something to use it for, seemed fitting for this contest
  • Valoth I would totally rock that card. You know, off subject (sorry guys!) but my friend John (dechujoh64) and I thought about making proxy copies of the custom cards we make on here and trying our hand at a cube or building a commander deck out of the cards we have come up with. Wouldn't Deflector Golem be a cool card for commander! Heck, any of these cards on this thread would be fun to try. We haven't done that, but we have thought of it. Have you ever thought of doing that yourself?
  • Here's one I created to go with Nazahn, Revered Bladesmith
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bladesmiths-apprentice
  • edited January 2018
  • @sorinjace I've actually bought prints of some cards I've actually created to incorporate into an extremely casual deck simply because the cards are my pride and joy, why shouldn't I enjoy them for real?
  • @Valoth: Wow, I bet that was fun and hard to do. I want to do that with the cards i've made! Was it expensive?
  • @sorinjace
    For premium quality cards it doesn't cost that much. It's just a matter of going through the process, which most don't.

Also, if you print larger collections it costs a lot less and the same goes for shipping.

They do even offer foil wrapping like MTG packs. But I prefer the folded box packaging that many offer for re-usability.
  • Can you hook me up on the contact info. for this? I would definitely get this created. If I do, I would share it with you guys on here with pictures. That sounds so awesome!
  • @sorinjace
    Let me see the source I used. Will message in a bit.
  • @sorinjace
    The following is a site you can use since they offer a good editor and lots of customization options. It's better than the one I last used as reference for MTG specifically.
    http://www.printninja.com/calculator/card-game-quote/

Card Dimensions: 2.5 x 3.5 Inches.
    Card GSM: 305 gsm. (Prioritize card quality over budget.)
    Advice: In addition, larger orders also cost less. So make your orders when you have a larger collection to print simultaneously.

Just remember the process is a bit involved for ordering cards as you have to input both the back and front of cards separately.

I'd also recommend using Magic Set Editor for best quality on your cards. MTGCardsmith is best known for its community rather than a robust editor. (Sorry mtgcardsmith, but the mtgcardsmith site uses an online editor which is less advanced.)

For more card template variety using the MSE editor, please download some of the following card borders. (It uses an installer for ease of use.)
  • Sorry I haven't been very active this month. Working like a crazy person since several of the near by stores of a certain chain I work for closed recently. (if you follow the news you could probably figure it out.) My store still fine, as I have a job and all that good stuff. I just been working bunch of overtime and driving further to get there. I have just been spent. I will be sure to favorite the ones I like and comment accordingly. Some good stuff so far.
  • I made sure everyone who made an entry got a favorite for putting up with my long over due appear. I am not the first justice....so being late kinda built into the name hehe.
  • Here's my own list of protectors I did.

The cycle named after the fate reforged cycle

Bonus to offset white and red already having one.

• And here I was thinking this was over heh.
  • I notice that all of these are creatures, so I decided to make a land that boosts the commander
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/commanders-castle
This discussion has been closed.