Fallen Empires White

Comments

• Also, just so we are on the same page, and if any newcomers want to join in. I think your https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/complete/full/2018/4/2/1523241246447585.png Wary Traveler is perfect for the white 1 mana drop 1/2. Adding Townsfolk I think would make it legit.
  • I'll work on the Vigilance one, and we can take turns if you want.
  • edited April 2018
    Here is my next try at this.

Heavy flavor text. I take inspiration from....
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&multiverseid=2001

I just fixed her.

Here was my common that uses Cooperation. I'll take a break for a few to go to lunch.
  • Dang. I just realized I made that Maiden chick two mana cost instead of one. I'll fix that in a bit. Thinking about food.
  • edited April 2018
    Your cards look just fine. All aspects of the design are flavorful. You did a good job.

I don’t think you have to worry overmuch about when things happened at this point. If we make a card that is completely wonky we can fix it. The main plot points will likely be on rares because they will be flashy effects and perhaps narrow ones.

To your point about power creep: the good thing is that it gets reset every couple of years when a hypothetical overpowered card gets rotated out of standard. There’s always the banned list of one card dominates an environment too.

• Do you think Icatian Maiden and Rambling Prophet can have another point of power or toughness?

Blue first drafts done. Working through blacks.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/account/sets/30284

I was thinking about taking turns on this, but I'm having too much fun.
  • edited April 2018
    I think their weakness is charming. I know they are weak lol. 1/1 vigilance is the standard token for white so I thought it was kind of nice to see one again. 1/1 cleric for black would only be good if black has some kind of cleric lord or something.
  • Arg, I don't like when the flavor text goes outside the cards box. I will have to redo Fervent Veteran just to add a break after "If" and before "my" as "my" is going outside the box.

Sir Flyaround lol
  • I have the red commons done now. I've added in your cards and removed the proxies.
  • Here is the common enchantment:
  • I saw that. that's cool. I'm on my way home for now. I have an idea for the instant and I'll try and get that on this evening.
  • Please don't feel rushed. I have a lot of extra time on my hands so I will have a lot done.

But this should be fun, not a chore. I think you did a lot of good work on the cards so far!
  • edited April 2018
    That makes 40 commons done. These are first drafts! If you don't like any of them, please change them and inform me that you have changed them so I can keep up my master file.

I strongly suggest that we make creatures better than they were back then. Even if they are vanilla, there should be some "wow" factor. The knock on Fallen, like Homelands, was that the power level was far too low compared to other sets at the time.

I'm going to take a good hard look at the FE uncommons and parse the themes and creature types. I'll work that up and see what I come up with.
  • edited April 2018
    Themes at Uncommon

An enchantment that makes tokens
    in Green and Black

An enchantment that makes tokens from the graveyard in green

Huge homarid in blue
    Fat in green with conditional regen

Asymmetrical mass killing in red
    Asymmetrical fog in white

Green enchantment with limited repeatable fog

A dwarf that pumps dwarfs
    Human pumping priest

Sac lands

Color-filtering creatures in white and black

White and black saboteurs

Goblin multiplier enchantment in red
    Homarid multiplier in blue

Discard

Chaotic orcs (coin flips)

Blue Preacher

Animate Dead like effect

Combo fog/sleep in green

Green druid animates forests

Thallid makes then consumes for bonus saprolings

Limited standing counterspell creature in black

Green and black enchantments that hose the other color

moderate “soldier” creature
  • edited April 2018
    Instant:
  • Here are your first few Uncommons, as well as a link to the cardfile for them:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/account/sets/30300

Here is a link to the Google doc for the master design file. Note the new third tab:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o7fhvwb5upd9XfNSu2x1Ek6UJD-ZJoxb/view?usp=sharing
  • The Cooperation text on Smuggler's Cog has its italics reversed.

Cooperation - then what it does, which is different for different instances of Cooperation.
  • Gotcha. I'll correct. I'm at a loss for what the sorcery should be.
  • edited April 2018
    I will give it a try!

Purity and Fury
    2W common sorcery
    Destroy target artifact or enchantment. Gain 4 life.

“Father Leitbur has lost his connection to the Hand of Justice. We must purify the temple and start anew.” - Oliver Farrel, high priest

If this pleases you I will find art for it
  • I know you're doing white cards, but here it is anyways.
  • "Don't look at it Marion. Keep your eyes shut!" lol. That would be a funny end to raiders of the lost ark.
  • I fixed Smuggler's Cog. Now for the last white common. I must think of a good one.

I think this looks like a spell that keeps Rainbow Veil secret.
  • I just now saw your suggestions for the sorcery. I'm not sure how I missed it. I too was thinking how I could tie this into the Hand of Justice. And you mentioned Oliver Farrel as the high priest. I was searching for art and saw this, I looked at the Rainbow Veil art and saw some ladies hanging out in the art so I thought this might work.
  • I know I need to introduce Farrel, and your suggestion would have been a great way to do that.
  • edited April 2018
    @hinges The concept can be used in a number of ways. I’ll put that in my back pocket for another card.

@corwinnn that looks like a great card.

Would it be possible for us to use the art and flavor for this common black instant instead?

• Trokair Duct: Do you want the dungeon cards to be at uncommon or rare? Uncommon is a good place to put them if you think they are going to be useful in draft. If you think they are better for constructed or for story and theme purposes, we will put them at rare.

What do you think?

This discussion has been closed.